“My 3 young children and i LOVE Jackrabbits Pottery!!!!”

Jackrabbits Pottery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is such a wonderful new addition to Oakwood.
I have taken my 3 children ( ages just 4, 6, & 7) four times now, each time we enjoy the calm, welcoming, creative atmosphere.
The staff are immensely attentive,and really helpful at giving tips, or suggestions to make the most of the experience.
The first time i went i was concerned my youngest wouldn't keep focused for very long, but what works for her is she paints for about 20 mins, then will have a little wander to the sofa area where she can interact with other children, and where toys & books are provided,. After a little while she comes back for more painting.
All the staff have a wonderfully natural way with children, & i always feel that my children are extremely welcome there.
You choose a piece to paint, there is a lot of choice, and a wide price range too, plenty for £10 & under for example, and i think the studio fee of £5 per person (for paints, all the extras like stencils & stamps, & the firing) is extremely good value.
My son is 6 & not a very confident 'artist' but he adores this place and we're always the last to leave as he just keeps on tweaking his master pieces & testing new techniques...its fab to see him so engaged and focused, he has painted a treasure chest, a plate, & 2 bowls, each is unique and he is so very proud of them, one of the bowls is for Daddy for Fathers Day.
My 7 year old daughter has painted a mug, a plate ( for Daddy), a tile, & most recently a heart that will be returned after firing complete with a beautiful beaded hanger.
My youngest ( just 4) has painted a treasure chest, a bowl ( for Daddy), a princess money box, & a cupcake trinket box.
The last 2 times i took them i was so confident that they would be engaged, that i painted a piece too; a bowl & a heart-shaped plate.
I have also been on ladies Friday night too...brilliant!!
Such a relaxing, fun atmosphere, same set up but take nibbles,olives, wine & They order pizza in too! That time i painted a teapot...And i love it!
We are due to go & collect our latest creations this week ( about a week after you've painted)
It's so exciting seeing them glazed, and the look of utter pride on my children's faces is wonderful. We always stay for a drink & a yummy homemade cake.
My 2 eldest have birthdays in August & November & have already requested that they have their parties there.
Well done to the staff at Jackrabbits, you have created a wonderful wonderful place, thank you!
From Helen, Skye, Ellis & Isla McCann.

5  Thank Helen M

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

I have been to jackrabbits poetry several times since its opening. I confess, I may be slightly addicted! My children, 6 and 4, absolutely love it too and are currently saving up for their next visit.

Etta and Clare are wonderful and warm hosts. It's almost like bring welcomed into their home. Everything is explained really clearly and then you simply choose something to paint - starting at £5 up to £25 for a huge vase or pitcher. Something there for all budgets!

Then its up to you and your creative powers. I cannot paint to save my life but I haven't had so much fun in ages. My
6 year old daughter actually out painted me and created a master piece!

And let's not forget the home made cakes! All very reasonable and simply delicious.

Its great that Leeds has its own pottery cafe. We are very lucky. You may not want to paint every day but the coffees and cakes keep me returning even when I'm not feeling creative.

Well done ladies! Afternoons happily spent at jackrabbits!

1  Thank cvl333
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had never painted pottery before, so when Jackrabbits opened, I took my two children aged 4 and 7 with an open mind. It was easy to find, with good parking, and the venue interior is decorated in a pretty shabby chic style.
The staff could win an award for Best Customer Service, as they could not be more welcoming, helpful and so absolutely brilliant with children. We even got a tour to see the kiln!

The studio fee of £5 each, in my opinion was definitely NOT excessive, as the actual pottery prices started from just £4.

A total cost of £9 per child is neither excessive or unreasonable in my opinion!! Some customers sit there for 3-4 hours painting stuff with their children, and in which case I'd contradict the previous reviewer and say it's VERY good value for money, as you also get to keep a nice souvenir of your day. I guess it all depends on your children.

My 7 year old son has a short attention span, but never have I seen him sit so still and quietly whilst he painted his masterpiece!!
Two and half hours later, he had finally finished and was so proud! My daughter finished after an hour, but was given colouring pens and paper, which she loved and was more than happy to do.
There are also two comfy leather sofa's in the window where the kids can sit and play with toys and children's books, if anyone gets restless. They really have thought of everything!!

We are now regulars of Jackrabbits, and are HUGE fans. We have built up such a lovely relationship with the staff that my kids BEG to go see them. And we know the feeling is mutual, which as a parent, is so lovely to meet people who genuinely care for your children.

I even pop in on my own for a coffee and cake without my kids occasionally, as Etta's homemade cakes are to die for!!! (Much to my children's dismay!!)
Go Jackrabbits, and long may you continue!!

2  Thank Angela T
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Nice environment and attentive staff.

I would say if your taking children who are not old enough to really paint properly then its far to expensive.. has a good selection of pottery but its very over priced. You then have to pay for paint on top of that which should definitely be included in the price of the pots. I took my 2 children aged 4 and 6. It cost me £30 and they spend about 40 mins painting. I could have made that money cover a whole day out somewhere.

They had a selection of cakes and drinks on offer but I didnt buy any as I felt £30 was far more than I would like to spend for less than an hours activity.

5  Thank vickycostello
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I decided to go to paint some pottery at Jack Rabbits, as I am quite creative and knew it would be a relaxing activity to spend a few hours painting on my own.
Clare and Etta who run the studio are friendly, warm and helpful - they explained everything well and gave me a quiet table at the back, all to myself.
The pottery you pick from is reasonably priced, and there is a small studio fee of £5 (but this is well worth the experience).
When Clare and Etta noticed a was really getting into painting my teapot (I was there for a total of 4 hours!) they even lent me their own personal brushes and paints, so that I could paint in more detail.
Absolutely fantastic place. 10 out of 10 from me. Can't wait to see my finished glazed product!!

2  Thank el_newell