“Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Came here for 2 night stay but vhecked out after one night. Had asked for quiet room but we were on a floor where there were groups of girls. Too noisy coming in at 4 am and walls paper thin. Room was okay bit tatty. Wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Leeds020, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with our hotel. I am sorry that you had some noise issues during your stay and I have forwarded your feedback to the hotel management. We do have staff available 24 hours a day to ensure that any issues can be resolved for our guests as quick as possible. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion however we do hope that you would use our hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed for one night recently and was pleasantly surprised as this had the feeling of an older well established HI express.
The room was clean,comfortable and well maintained. Car park close by offering discount to hotel guests and plenty of choice for eating out.
Would stay again as long as rate was good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with our hotel and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Leeds in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a small group of couples, a reunion of sorts. The staff were absolutely lovely from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble. They recommended shows, places to visit and arranged minibuses to ferry us round.
Even when my wife lost her purse whilst out in town and we had to cancel all her cards they were unflappable. A wonderful young woman named Michele googled the card cancellation number for us, made my wife a cup of tea to calm her down, as she was upset, and offered us free use of the reception phone. She even called all the bars and the restaurant we had gone to, to try to find the lost purse.
Breakfast was tasty, the rooms were clean and comfortable (albeit a little basic, but thats what you expect from a holiday inn express) and the bar was well stocked and cosy, with candlelight and comfy chairs.
A great stay, despite our personal problems, and one we will be keen to repeat soon

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay with our hotel and we are pleased that our staff were able to help with your situation. I have forwarded your feedback to the staff mentioned and our hotel management. We do hope you see you next time you are in Leeds and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

On first impressions hotel room was poorly maintained, although what one would expect from a chain. Seal around the bathroom sink appeared to have worn away and shortly after arriving and whilst taking a shower the entire sink fell through and smashed onto the floor, soaking my clothes in the process! Staff member on reception was absolutely brilliant and washed and dried my clothes as well as popping to the local Tesco and buying my friend and I a bottle of Moët and some free drinks vouchers!
Beware the sofa bed- my friend and I paid extra for a room with a sofa bed but on arrival were told that as we had booked for two people there was no guarantee the bed could be put up, leading to an uncomfortable nights sleep on the sofa cushions! Cleanliness was very good but breakfast basic, don't expect a full English.
Overall an adequate hotel for somewhere to sleep after a night out and excellent staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear 361Katie123,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our property and our service exceeded your expectations. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have encountered. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

It's a returner- so felt another review in order!! Staff looked after us very well again- the evidence of it's value for money customer pleasing capabilities is self evident , when you look around at breakfast and see the growth of No's since we first used this capable HIE in May 2010. Staff seem smoother too in dealing with difficulties-like changing our faulty TV swiftly for the confs suite set with 2 courtesy Chardonnay's on Sat night and fixing a desk light the previous night! Breakfast although now always mega-busy they always cope. Staff are relaxed and capable. It is this kind of seemless service that keeps me away from other chains in the same price range. I arrived by train and it is such a short wheely roll via Brasserie Blanc and scenic canalside from Leeds Central Station and they checked me in early. I hope I can keep affording it and it doesn't go the way the Southwark HIE went price-wise when HS2 comes!! I believe the TV's will be upgraded soon to flatscreens.

Room Tip: 5th Floor this time- seems to be quiter if large groups are in.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I usually always try and pick HI express as you get a fairly consistent standard and the breakfast is always included. The downside to this particular hotel were its lack of car park, which ends up costing £8 per night at the adjacent multi storey which makes the cost of a nightly stay fairly expensive for what is a busy and basic hotel. However on the plus side the location is excellent for city centre activities and you have a number of restaurants on the doorstep of the hotel, we tried Mumtaz indian restaurant which was superb. The hotel was full to capacity during our stay but i slept well and was not disturbed by noise inside or outside, the only draback being at breakfast time when there were simply too many people trying to eat at the same time and not enough staff keeping things stocked.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear angiebeno,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

While the hotel and room was clean, I found this hotel lacking in some basic services. Having to line up to use the iron in a designated room on the ground floor was most inconvenient, especially as I was there during a major convention next door and the hotel was full of delegates who needed their shirts ironed. The extremely limited menu was disappointing not only in choice but in quality and taste. One had no choice but to go out for a meal.
With just one person at the desk, service was incredibly slow and one of the 2 girls who alternated working the front desk didn't believe in smiling !
The direct hotel line for taxis was for an independent taxi service whose drivers had no clue where the main shopping centre was and took 20 minutes to arrive. I asked the front desk about train service to Harrogate which was 30 minutes away and she said she didn't know as she had never been there--not much help with where to shop either.
Breakfast was ok although selection was limited.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear CherylanneOntario,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to read you found our hotel and rooms clean. I am sorry that you encountered some issues with the level of service received from our staff and inconvenience you encountered at the ironing room. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Zelyn N