Review Highlights
They also do gin...

Went to a gin tasting evening as a couple, one who loves gin and one who doesn't drink it. Event... read more

Reviewed March 16, 2019
bish99Leeds
leeds
FUN & GAMES

What a revelation this experience has been! The sommelier lady that hosted the event was... read more

Reviewed March 9, 2019
matt1_matt1
via mobile

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Leeds
from $42.05
More Info
from $38.81
More Info
All reviews the hotel du vin wine tasting christmas gift sheffield tap fantastic evening whole evening cheese pie christmas present two hours great fun last night introduction presenter harrogate knowledge nibbles novice
Selected filters
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

We were bought a Yorkshire Wine School voucher as a Christmas present. I looked on line to see which days were available and where. The choices that were best for us were Harrogate, Leeds and York. I settled on a date and York was the best option. It was very easy to book and put the voucher details in. I got a confirmation quickly and it was all sorted. The Hotel du Vin is only a 5 minute walk from York station and easy to find. We were asked to wait in the bar area and then taken into a separate room that was all set up for us. Rebecca was lovely and extremely passionate about talking about the wines. She answered all the questions well and was very knowledgable. There were 18 of us and we had 2 bottles of each wine between us which gave us all about a third of a glass each. We all poured our own but no one over did it and left anyone without. We had one champagne, then 5 white wines. We then stopped and went into the restaurant for lunch, there was a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. Each course had vegetarian options. You choose any 2 out of the 3 courses and everyone seemed to enjoy their meal. After lunch we went back to try 6 red wines. Obviously some wines were more popular than others depending on personal preference but overall everyone seemed to enjoy them and all thanked Rebecca for a lovely day. We got chatting and more relaxed as the day went on and the wine flowed. We were also given some cheese and salami to try with the red wines which really added a nice touch. Our only suggestion would be that the first glass be drunk a bit earlier as it was nearly an hour before we had the champagne and it was standing a while losing its bubbles before we were told to try it. Only a small issue that was probably because Rebecca had so much information to tell us about the process of wine making. Overall a very pleasant day with good wine, good food and good conversation.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed March 15, 2018

We attended for a wine tasting day last year so apologies for the delay in reviewing. The day was held at the Radisson Blu.
First of all I would like to say that the lady who led the day and spoke about the wines was really good.
The reason for the low mark however, is that as one reviewer has previously said, everyone had to pour their own wines.
There were approximately 40-50 people and for this amount of people there were two bottles of wine per tasting
Despite the fact that we were shown how much wine to pour so that we could all have a taste, the table who took the wine first were extremely generous with their own measurements. Being the last person to have the wine, out of 5 white wines I only sampled two. The whole point in having a wine tasting day is to taste the wine which unfortunately I did not. On one occasion, one of the guest who had taken more than their fair share must have felt guilty and poured some of their wine into my glass so out of five glasses I had one, and one second hand glass - not ideal when the cost of the day is £150 per couple.
The lady taking the course was very apologetic but did not do anything about it - I would have thought that some spare wine would have been taken to cover these contingencies - or may be after the second time she could have poured the wine to stop this happening or maybe we could have been the first table to take the wine.

Further, we were given some meats and cheeses to go with the wine - one cube of cheese and one slice of salami - very very stingy - considering what we had paid.

With regard to the red wines, which I am not as keen on - these were poured for us and so the problem did not occur but the measures were very mean and again when paying so much money I would just have expected more.
The meal in the Radisson Blu was OK - just average
So again despite the speaker being very good in my view a wine tasting day is about tasting wine and this did not happen.
We were recommended to come on this day but sadly I would not recommend it to anyone else.
I have been on other wine tasting days which were much more fun and I got to taste the wine and sample more nibbles than a cube of cheese and slice of salami.

Date of experience: April 2017
2  Thank Sharon C
Laura K, Owner at Yorkshire Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave leaving this review. Firstly can I say that I am very sorry there was a problem with the wine and the host should absolutely have seen to it that everyone got a good measure of each wine. Just one area I would like to raise- I can categorically say that we’ve never had 40-50 pp on our Saturday Wine Courses. We top the numbers at 24pp (that’s what the room can comfortably hold) and we allow 2 bottles of each wine (with 12 wines tasted in total) so that over the course of the day there is the equivalent of a bottle of wine per person.
That’s not in any way to detract from you obviously having an experience where you didn’t feel like you received value for money from your tasting and that is something I would very much like to remedy. If you’d like to contact us directly at the school then I would like to try and make this up to you if possible.

Reviewed March 9, 2018

We attended this tasting last night at the Hotel du Vin in York.A truly lovely venue and very attentive staff.Laura our host from the Yorkshire Wine School is an experienced presenter of her subject & made everyone at ease as soon as they entered the room.We were particularly happy since the Champagne which was our first welcome drink came from a Champagne House we had stayed as guests at a few years ago.The whole evening was very relaxed,informative and allowed us to to try not only new wines but to see them paired with excellent complimentary cheeses.This is no mean feat since we all have preconceived ideas about Cheese & Wine Pairings.We would gladly attend any other evening which they put on in York.We would even consider travelling to Leeds where the school is based because they have a wider range of courses on offer.Many thanks to our son & his girlfriend who bought the ticket as a Christmas gift.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed February 23, 2018 via mobile

Attended at the Tap on a Wednesday. 6 wines... firstly we had to pour our own 50ml.. bit odd never had that before at a wine tasting. They only had 2 bottles for 24 people. By the time the bottle came to our end hardly anything left! Effectively paid £25 for 300mls of wine. Not much leftover to sample. Secondly they advertise cheese and meats will be on offer to accompany the wine. We had one cube of cheese to try with one wine and one piece of ham. Yes it was interesting although rather overdone.. been to lots of better wine tastings in Sheffield.. urban pantry and trippets for example. Wouldn't recommend.

Date of experience: February 2018
Laura K, Owner at Yorkshire Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Hi Cato, thanks very much for taking the time to leave this feedback. It’s all valued, and we’ll certainly be looking carefully at you’ve said.
In terms of amount of wine poured at our events, it is true that we generally look at around half a bottle per person- so that does sound about right (it is a school night after all ;-)
What we think sets apart our tastings from others (where there may well be more wine!) is that we aren’t selling wine (so we pay for the wines selected on the night from the revenue generated by ticket sales), and everyone hosting these evenings is a WSET-qualified host and tutor. That makes our events a little different- and many of our customers enjoy that point of difference- but I appreciate your evening did not live up to expectations and ultimately would like to apologise for that.
If you want to get in touch with us directly on email or phone, I would love to discuss this further and see if we can make this up to you in some way.
Again, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Reviewed February 23, 2018 via mobile

What a lovely way to spend a Saturday. I had given my husband the gift of the New World wine vs French wine tasting day. It was a fantastic experience to sample 12 yes 12 !! different wines allowing comparison of the same grapes grown in different places. Michael our host was knowledgable and gave enough information to keep us informed without baffling or boring us. The pace and pairing was super and no we didn’t end up rolling out the door as part of the 5 hour experience included a delicious 2 course lunch which was superb from the location’s kitchen. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who loves wine or is just got a passing interest - the day was just a lovely friendly experience.

Date of experience: February 2018