“Unfortunately disappointing”

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Unfortunately disappointing”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We weren't really sure what to expect when visiting as contemporary art is a very personal thing, We must have timed our visit badly as I think we were in between displays so there seemed to be a number of closed doors and empty spaces. What we did see, piled high letters were alright but maybe not our thing.
The few items on show about the Tetley Building were interesting but we thought badly interpreted. Explanations about some items were in a completely different room to the display around a corner?
The building is beautiful and they have kept some of the original features which was lovely to see. I understand that the Tetley collection still needs archiving from the panels that were there but I was hoping to see more about the history of such a wonderful building as well as something modern. Shame, we were there such a short amount of time we didn't really fancy the restaurant and ended up walking back into town

Visited January 2014
1 Thank MadgeBingley

Leeds, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Hoped for so much more, worth looking at the building though”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

A real disappointment. Plenty of parking around though be aware that the spaces closest are not LCC so do not offer the cheaper Sunday rate. Soon moved and sorted that.

I had not realised that my wife had had an interview in this building years ago so she was interested in the place. In fact the information about Tetleys was some of the most enjoyable and more would have been appreciated.

Maybe we chose a bad day - half the place was closed off - but the artworks on display were pretty uninspiring and boring. Had the impressive lift been renovated that would have been far more impressive than any of the other art here. (Though probably way too expensive to achieve.)

My group didn't feel like sticking around in the cafe. The menu did look good but can't comment on the quality of the actual food.

I had really hoped that I would enjoy the Tetley. I hope on other days people get a better experience otherwise I can't see the place surviving. Although - just maybe - it could turn into a decent place to eat with a few pieces of art around you?

Visited February 2014