“The Pits” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manxdene Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Manxdene Hotel
Ranked #21 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
South Shields, United Kingdom
“The Pits”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Well...On arrival (with no car parking, which unfortunately resulted in 2 parking tickets for my pal! haha) we were greated by a hen night leaving the accommodation with one 'lady' scratching her groin telling us 'don't stay in there - it's minging'. In hindsight, I wish i'd listened to this obviously promi scuous tyke.
Once in the run down, cess pit, we were greated by cruella de ville/morticia adams/crazy cat lady who is probably soon to be sectioned. She basically mucked about trying to sort our keys and that, showing us where we could leave our bags until the rooms were ready.... on sight of this 'lock up' (a spare room off the kitchen), i was glad i hadnt bothered with anything expensive but thought i may have to wash the clothes in my bag again as it was a right state. The whole of downstairs was a like a cat sanctuary - cat hair and urine everywhere. And i'm allergic to cats which was just what i wanted to ruin my weekend!
Anyway, we got the the room (top floor) and it was like a minimum security prison cell. 3 of us stopped in one room with 2 single beds and a mattress on the floor. the matress on the floor was under the sink. the waste pipe on this sink had actually disconnected so when you ran the tap the water simply emptied onto the floor and on me mates mattress. fantastic. the room hadnt been cleaned for a while - there was what looked like the remnants of some kind of dr ug people had been snorting on top of the chest of drawers. classy. the tv was hanging off the wall bracket and would have probably fell off if you pressed the on button too hard. one of the drawers had no bottom in it. the window opened out onto a loveley terrace, or window ledge as some normal people may call it. easy to step off the bed onto the window ledge and immediately faced with a 40-50ft drop. not ideal for kids. although you would probably be taken to social services of have childline called on your a ss if you made your kids stop here!
Breakfast - simply vile. The young chap looking after the place while crazy cat women was asleep in her crypt was very helpful and knocked on our door for 15 minutes in the morning to ensure we got up for breakfast. i wouldnt of minded if it was a nice breakfast but i would rather have ate the matress my mate slept on than that greasy slop he slapped on my plate. soon as he was out the room i slid mine into the bin. on the plus side the tv in the diniing area worked and heir hunters was on, probably the highlight of my stay. they dont make tvs like that anymore, i think it was the next model up from black and white.
Finally - we checked out and my mate went back in to get his hairspray (?!) and was taken back to the room by the young chap who cant cook and was then promptly blamed for the sate of the room (disconnected waste pipe on the sink/wrecked drawers/smashed electrical socket) the cheeky littlew so and so.
to summarize - vile hell hole. you'd be better off stopping in the cemetry with a holey tent. oh, and dont believe the pics on the internet for the rooms hahaha. maybe 40 years ago they resembled them!

Room Tip: go elsewhere. or sleep on the street
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Legend78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sandbach, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

This has to be without doubt the worst 'hotel' I have ever stayed in.
Right from pulling up at the entrance of the hotel (which quite frankly looked very scary and as if the property had been left to ruin), things looked VERY bleak, and this also stretched to our rooms. My room was on the top floor, and in all honesty I have never encountered anything as disgusting in my life.
The floor was very uneven and did not feel stable (it felt like I was going to fall through at any moment), the carpets looked like they had seen better days and the furniture was very sparse and damaged.
Furthermore, there were no towels left in the room (I was staying at the hotel with friends, who also had no towels left for them in their rooms either), and as we could not find a member of staff at that point (it was late at night), we had to go all the way down to the laundry room ourselves to find them.
The misery continued the following morning, as when I turned on the shower there was no hot water whatsoever (when I complained to one of the staff members, she did not seem at all interested in helping), and in addition, the breakfast was a very small greasy fry - up (which I mostly left and had to stop for a proper breakfast on the way home).
In addition, there is hardly any car parking available at all (we had to leave our vehicles in a backstreet right behind the hotel, and in the morning we felt very relieved that they were still there).
We were all very glad to leave this hotel. Yes, it was cheap, however I would have been more than happy to pay twice the price for at least a little comfort.

Room Tip: Pay more and choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duststorm

Travelers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Epsom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

A few weeks ago I booked the manxdene to sleep at before the uni open day. We arrived and pulled up outside and it looked vile with the dirtiest sign and black window frames. On ringing the doorbell, a scary woman opened saying she had been expecting us ( you would have thought she had cleaned in preparation) and was going to give us the best room but the last occupants had run away with the key. We took the room anyway (think it was number 8) and on opening the door to the room we were shocked;
- hair and dust in the sink
-the curtain was hanging off
- a stain on the sheets on the bed and at the side
- a crack above my bed
-my light did not work
- dust everywhereeee
- wardrobe handle was broken
- all furniture was really old that could do definitely do with updating
- dirtiest mug i had ever seen that I wouldnt even trust to drink out of
- coathanger on the floor
- metal bits on the floor (the bits from when you get pills out of their packet)
-door looked like it had been kicked in

The ridiculous thing was on the back of the door there was a list of 12 things for the cleaner to do, ALL ticked off by 'jeevani'!!

The woman then asked us whether we would be watching TV and kind of huffed when we said yes. The TV in the room was so ancient that there wasn't a scart lead hole thingy so then she said she would go and get another TV. When she got back to the room with the 'new' TV she simply said sorry for it being so dusty (you'd think you could dust it before giving it to us) and then the best bit....handed us an argos bag with the freeview box she had just bought this morning for us to set up ourselves!!!!

After this we walked into Leeds and then realised we just couldn't return to sleep there especially after reading the other reviews. We ended up staying in the novotel hotel.
I only wished we had read the reviews before!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ftyjfygjchcgj
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

Mr and my boyfriend had previously stayed here back in July of this year. The service was good BUT the bed sheets were dirty and had HAIRS!! The bathroom did not have any toilet tissue and therefore I had to ask for some. Room 9.

I then payed a deposit this Oct. As my bf was coming back. We were stood ringing the doorbell for 30-40 mins and even rang the telephone number but there wasn't any sign of life in there but open windows and a hallway light!

We asked at the next door B&B if they knew anything and were told that there were 'rumours' that Manxdene gad shut down.

NO NOTICE AT ALL! NONE AT THE DOOR AND SHE HAD MY NUMBER! SHE DIDN'T EVEN CALL.

Overall,, I had lost my £5 deposit and had to pay £10 more than Manxdene to stay at Glengarth. BUT AT LEAST THE ROOM WAS CLEANER, THE STAFF WERE PLEASANT AND THE FOOD SERVED WAS GOOD AND QUICK.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The landlady might be nice, but hell, I really can't recommend this place. And I should have checked out the reviews on this site before I booked. It was a big mistake ! I think the place needs a real clean-up.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I came for the night and when I got outside my jaw dropped and that was just the start as I will tell u the nightmare started with a front door with no window, once in the hall way I had to ring to say I had arrived only to be greeted by mortica from Addams family, once in the room I thought this is a decent room but after an inspection I was proved wrong as there was a damp patch above the bed, there wasn't any bulbs in the bedside lamps and they had used a plaster to cover where the bulb should be, we had no hot water so couldn't use the shower, every time the toilet was flushed it was like a foghorn as stated in a previous review and when it came to breakfast the cups and cutlery were filthy and she poured the coffee and there was a hair spout of the coffee jug after she had poured it which just made me sick to my stomach, so word to the wise, stay away From 154 woodleyrd

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Craggy_p
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

11 lads 40th birthday we pulled up outside and didn't want to get of the bus.when we went into reception we knew we had made a bad mistake i don't think the place had been cleaned for 20yrs. we were all shown to our rooms my room was well below average i have seen better furniture at my local skips above my bed in the corner of the cieling was a damp ball the size of a football. i have stayed in many hotels in my time but can honestly say i have never stayed in anything as bad as this. breakfast was ok though!!!!!! couldn't wait to get out and have a bath.

Room Tip: just do not do it
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends