“SHUT DOWN WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE???!”
Review of Manxdene Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Manxdene Hotel
Ranked #21 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
“SHUT DOWN WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE???!”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Mr and my boyfriend had previously stayed here back in July of this year. The service was good BUT the bed sheets were dirty and had HAIRS!! The bathroom did not have any toilet tissue and therefore I had to ask for some. Room 9.

I then payed a deposit this Oct. As my bf was coming back. We were stood ringing the doorbell for 30-40 mins and even rang the telephone number but there wasn't any sign of life in there but open windows and a hallway light!

We asked at the next door B&B if they knew anything and were told that there were 'rumours' that Manxdene gad shut down.

NO NOTICE AT ALL! NONE AT THE DOOR AND SHE HAD MY NUMBER! SHE DIDN'T EVEN CALL.

Overall,, I had lost my £5 deposit and had to pay £10 more than Manxdene to stay at Glengarth. BUT AT LEAST THE ROOM WAS CLEANER, THE STAFF WERE PLEASANT AND THE FOOD SERVED WAS GOOD AND QUICK.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The landlady might be nice, but hell, I really can't recommend this place. And I should have checked out the reviews on this site before I booked. It was a big mistake ! I think the place needs a real clean-up.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I came for the night and when I got outside my jaw dropped and that was just the start as I will tell u the nightmare started with a front door with no window, once in the hall way I had to ring to say I had arrived only to be greeted by mortica from Addams family, once in the room I thought this is a decent room but after an inspection I was proved wrong as there was a damp patch above the bed, there wasn't any bulbs in the bedside lamps and they had used a plaster to cover where the bulb should be, we had no hot water so couldn't use the shower, every time the toilet was flushed it was like a foghorn as stated in a previous review and when it came to breakfast the cups and cutlery were filthy and she poured the coffee and there was a hair spout of the coffee jug after she had poured it which just made me sick to my stomach, so word to the wise, stay away From 154 woodleyrd

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Craggy_p
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2011

11 lads 40th birthday we pulled up outside and didn't want to get of the bus.when we went into reception we knew we had made a bad mistake i don't think the place had been cleaned for 20yrs. we were all shown to our rooms my room was well below average i have seen better furniture at my local skips above my bed in the corner of the cieling was a damp ball the size of a football. i have stayed in many hotels in my time but can honestly say i have never stayed in anything as bad as this. breakfast was ok though!!!!!! couldn't wait to get out and have a bath.

Room Tip: just do not do it
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I was honestly shocked when i came on here and read some of these comments - and i'm glad i didn't read them before i went cos the comments are rubbish! A comment about the 'Cruella de ville' actually made me laugh when i read it - shes the nicest person in the world!
They're small rooms, and small prices. was a comfortable bed and good, quiet nights sleep. 5 mins from uni and maybe 20 from the city centre.
It's not a 5 star hotel, but honestly don't expect the Ritz and it's fine. I'd happily stay there again :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a month from January 2011 to Feb 2011. The guest house is not far from the city centre. The service from the manager is excellant and breafast consisted of tea/coffee, orange juice, cerial and a full English breakfast (inclusive of the room rate). The hotel is in need of a lick of paint and some minor repairs, however for the rates charged and location one cannot complain. If you are wanting a five star hotel you need to be prepaired to pay five star rates, especially if you are coming to a city like Leeds. I have no quibbles for I paid a low rate and feel I got good value for the money paid.

The rooms ensuite rooms upstairs are more suited for a weekend break where as the non ensuite are more suited for a quick stop over. I would definetly stop here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2010

went with my daughter as she had an interveiw at the uni and didnt fancy hitting the traffic on monday morning.when entered the building the first thing that hit me was the smell.then we had to wait till he got the room ready,buy the way he could hardly speak english and the lady wasnt there.then we saw the room and once again the smell of pee hit you first,the carpet was filthy,the beds wernt made proper and the tv was on a chair,i complained about the room and he then showed me another,the beds were not even made in that one so i asked for my money back and went back home to bolton,i will tackle the traffic in the morning.the location for the uni was the only thing good about this b and b.

• Stayed December 2010