“The Pits!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
“The Pits!!!”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We visited last night for a pre-gig meal ... 2 of our party ordered the "Pit club" ... It was advertised as containing "chicken fillets" when in reality contained two chicken goujons the size of my index finger - at £9.50 I felt this was extremely poor value for money. I raised my issues with the waitress and she kindly spoke to the chef. His response was that this is the 'normal' portion size!?!? Hardly a constructive answer (considering we spent over £100) in the establishment!! The chef obviously requires lessons in ensuring customer satisfaction and maintaining the reputation of the establishment.

VERY DISAPPOINTING :-(

PS the waitress was lovely :-)

• Visited April 2014

Wigan
“Really good food, reasonable value, excellent service”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We visited on a Sat night when it was really busy, and we were a party of 6.

The service was very very good considering it was a very busy night. I ordered rack of ribs, the meat literally dropped of the bone. My wife had a burger, it was enormous and tasked fantastic (I stole a small piece of the meat).

Book early and get one of the bench tables, they are much more private and are very comfortable.

8/10 overall - worth a visit, and there are a few excellent bars in Chapel Allerton.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“New favourite bar with fab food”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Stumbled into The Pit a few weeks ago to try it out, and am now a regular.There's an interesting range of imported USA and Australia craft beers. Staff are knowledgeable and helpful.The food is excellent, super American Bar style dishes...loved the slow smoky pulled pork, and the Philly Fries were great too. There's a good buzzy atmosphere here even midweek. The Pit is a great addition to Chapel A.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“If you like to pay extortionate prices for poor quality and poor service this is right up your street!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We decided to have an evening out with another couple on a Monday as it was pay day and, thank god it was! There's a decent selection of beers but at £4 for 3/4 pints we (the gents) were pretty taken back. The bar staff attitude was simply "tuff" in relation to the prices. The girls had a rekordlig at £4.80 a go so by this point we were discussing weather to bother with the food but we decided to give it a go, don't knock it until you tried it attitude! It could have all been worth it. . . Us guys ordered burgers which came as towers that proved impossible to eat and were average at best! The girls ate nearly half of their meals as they were so salty they couldn't afford enough drinks to get through it. We don't usually mind paying a bit extra for good quality and good service but neither of these existed for the newly refurbished venue. I have never really wished for a business to fail as I run my own business but either the prices need to drop and the attitude of the staff need to change or move the business to Harrogate where people are used to being made a mug of!

• Visited March 2014
ArcInspirations, Public Relations Manager at The Pit, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi Oliver,

First of all thank you for taking the time out to review us.

One of the reasons why we serve our craft beers in schooners is to provide a quality premium product at an affordable price. The craft beer breweries we deal with do not have the equipment to mass produce beer quickly and in vast amounts like the big breweries do. Consequently they have to charge more to sustain their own business. Due to this we try and make the craft beers more accessible to the customer rather than charging a high price for a pint. We do however, still serve pints of recognisable brands such as Peroni and Coors Light at more competitive prices.

Here is a link to an article explaining the process of craft beers. I personally think it’s a good read and I would recommend this to you. http://dadsroundtable.com/food_drink/2013/04/beerwise-dads-why-is-craft-beer-so-expensive/

However, I must apologise if the staff reflected this attitude towards you. If you could provide me with the details of your visit (date and time) I will investigate into this as this is not the attitude we would like to reflect.

The ingredients we use in our food are all sourced fresh and local, and are cooked using traditional American barbecue methods with our own smoker and char broiler. I’m sorry to hear if this wasn’t up to the standard you expected.

Between the days of Monday and Friday we do offer a £6.95 lunch meal deal offer between 12pm-5pm. This includes a soft drink or Americano coffee. This is a heavily discounted food offer we provide which is very popular.

I truly do hope you give us another try as your custom is important to us, and I’m a firm believer that we do give great service and serve great drinks to match. I hope to see you soon!

Kind regards,

Ash Brown
Leeds, UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing burgers”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We've eaten at the Pit a few times now and also been with large groups of friends. I honestly can't understand why the reviews have been 3 and 4 stars - the food is great, the service is quick and the bar staff are really friendly. I like my burgers and these are some of the best I've had in Leeds (in fact, some of the best I've had). Yes, they can verge on the slightly ridiculous size-wise, but you know what you're getting into when you come here.

For pulled pork, ribs and especially burgers, I can't find fault with this. I only wish they didn't serve beer in schooners - we are not, after all, in Australia.

Go, have a burger and judge for yourself. It is seriously good.

• Visited February 2014