“The best steak I've EVER had!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rare - CLOSED

Rare
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Championing premium local produce and offering a refined yet relaxed menu, Rare is a one-of-a-kind hideaway in Leeds. Enjoy succulent, whole roasted chickens served on a spike, freshly muddled cocktails, and meats brined, braised and slow-cooked in house for melt-in-the-mouth flavours. Chunky wood tables, free Wi-Fi and a range of eclectic specialist newspapers and magazines aid the laidback ambience at Rare restaurant, while local DJ legend Lucy Locket curates bespoke Rare playlists.
St Helens, United Kingdom
“The best steak I've EVER had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Came to Leeds for my birthday weekend with my boyfriend who had booked a table at Rare as a surprise. I hadn't heard of the restaurant or previously seen any reviews as we're not from the area. We loved everything, the lovely waitress thoroughly explaining the "Steak Board", the decor & atmosphere but most of all the incredible food. We had chicken wings & homemade bread to start with. I'm normally not a huge fan of chicken wings but these were beautiful, really well cooked & so tasty. We had a 1000g Porterhouse to share as well as chips, onion rings & peppercorn sauce. My mouth is drooling as I'm writing this review because all of it was just so delicious. Perfectly cooked & perfectly seasoned. Sticky toffee pudding & ice cream to die for topped off a wonderful evening. I would 100% recommend & 100% return. The service throughout was excellent, attentive without being in your face. Can't wait to come back.

2 Thank Janz01
Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
A really kind review and we are thrilled it was the best steak you have ever had.
A lot of effort goes into what we do and comments like this make it very much worthwhile.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Amazing restaurant - best in Leeds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I regularly visit RARE. I would say on average I've been once a week for the past 4 months. I've been loathed to share the great news as I've selfishly been trying to keep it a bit of a secret! But after reading the previous mindless review about flavourless steak I felt compelled to review. The steak is the best I've ever had, particularly the wing rib. The sides are divine, particularly the mango salad and henderson dipped onion rings. I take all my clients there and every time they say what a fantastic place it is. The service is always first rate. I recommend a bottle of excelsior with the wing rib. Only other restaurant that gets close for me in Leeds is Crafthouse.

1 Thank Nick W
Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
It's always a pleasure looking after you and all your clients.
Thanks for taking the time to do a review and for your continued support.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best steak in Leeds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

A unique dining experience with a great menu for meat lovers!
Unique decore in the restaurant and a fantastic bar for pre-dinner drinks.
I had the 1000gms porterhouse steak, cooked to perfection, great for sharing - expensive but worth the price!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Liz M
Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
A great compliment and very much appreciated.
See you again soon hopefully,

“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Booked in advance for a Saturday night. The restaurant decor is great and we were both really looking forward to our meal. Shared a porterhouse which was well flavoured although expensive (£72) and I think to then have to order side dishes is pushing it. We shared onion rings which were delicious. The chips were average. The avocado, papaya and mango salad was poor - not one piece of papaya and lots of red pepper instead; perhaps I misread the menu. My partner had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert and the ice cream was served on peanut brittle which was immense! I had the pineapple and fennel cheesecake which was underwhelming. The reason for scoring it a 3 is because the large groups made the small restaurant very noisy. Our waiter also moaned at us about the fact that he had 3 large tables to manage and he didn't hide his delight that it was his last night working there. I don't want to pay £130 for dinner for 2 and be moaned at by the waiter. Still, worth a try if you're feeling flush.

2 Thank zurichcarrie
Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Firstly let me apologise for the service you received, we made an error of judgement in recruiting and this has now been dealt with.

Secondly it sounds to me like you've been given the wrong side order, the avocado salad does not contain pepper.

Not good enough on our part, please can you mail me on matthew@eatdrinkrare.com and thanks for letting us know that there were issues. It means that we have the chance to make them right.
“A perfect evening, with excellent food, drinks & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Went there to celebrate wedding anniversary on Friday night. The bar upstairs attracts some of the posey crowd (the courtyard is done out very imaginatively) but the excellent, informal service by particularly the female staff puts you at ease. The food is top drawer (the chicken wings starter is enough for two and delicious) and the steaks were amongst the best I've had. Try the Henderson sauce dipped onion rings too - amazing. And the icing on the cake was a completely unanticipated two glasses of champagne on the house after our meal, delivered with the comment "we like to look after nice people here".

Consider ourselves two very impressed and delighted customers! Well done and thank you to RARE.

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We're really pleased that we got it so right for you both on your visit to Rare.
I will pass on your praise to the ladies working on the night, it's appreciated.
We hope to look after you soon,