“post-work meal”
Review of Rare - CLOSED

Rare
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Championing premium local produce and offering a refined yet relaxed menu, Rare is a one-of-a-kind hideaway in Leeds. Enjoy succulent, whole roasted chickens served on a spike, freshly muddled cocktails, and meats brined, braised and slow-cooked in house for melt-in-the-mouth flavours. Chunky wood tables, free Wi-Fi and a range of eclectic specialist newspapers and magazines aid the laidback ambience at Rare restaurant, while local DJ legend Lucy Locket curates bespoke Rare playlists.
“post-work meal”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

booked a table on the recommendation of a friend and headed there after work.

As soon as I got there I was greeted by really friendly staff and got myself and my companion a drink. I chatted to some people who were in the process of eating and they couldn't recommend the steak enough.

So after that we obviously went for the steak. I've gotta say this is by far the best steak I've ever had in Leeds. Great food and great service. Had a great chat with Ben the waiter who talked me through the way everything was locally produced. great food, friendly staff and good ambience.

• Visited January 2014
eatdrinkrare, Guest Relations Manager at Rare, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hello Leedsway465.
It sounds like your fellow guests served you well in recommending the steak. Your not the first to state it is the best they've had in Leeds.
Great to hear Ben looked after you well - and filled you in on all that makes RARE and the food we serve... errr rare.
Thanks so much for taking the time to review RARE - hopefully see you again sometime soon.

Leeds
“Best steak I've ever had!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I went one lunch time after it being recommended by a friend and I wasn't disappointed. I had the steak which was huge and honestly the tastiest I have ever had. The chips were also delicious. The waiter was charming and very attentive and the food arrived quickly. Although I didn't try one the cocktails sounded amazing and inventive so I will definitely be going back and recommend you do too!

Hello Hollyollyolly.
Your username is as much as a mouthful as the steak! Glad you enjoyed it.
Sounds like you could be tempted to a cocktail?! We hope to see you some time soon for an evening of drinks and dining ;)
Thanks for taking the time to review RARE.
“Don't bother!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Two of us visited Rare on Monday night. We decided to give it a try after reading the good reviews and also taking advantage of the 50% off voucher we had. We also like to try new restaurants in Leeds and always welcome a new addition. We entered into the upstairs bar area to be greeted by no one, no customers and no staff. After waiting around 5 minutes the waitress came from downstairs and after a few minutes took us downstairs to our table. We ordered two beers which at £4 for a schooner (2/3 of a pint) felt a bit over priced. We were then given 4 cocktail sausages with a home made ketchup. Unknown to us at the time this would turn our to be the best part of the meal. I ordered the quails eggs to start which were overcooked and like bullets although the dressing on the salad was very tasty. My partner had the chicken wings which he enjoyed until he came to one which was raw and bloody in the middle. This meant he was unable to finish the rest. For main I had the game wellington which to my shock turned out to be minced meat wrapped is soggy pastry. Could you imaging ordering beef wellington and being served with minced beef? The meat was so dry I could only manage half. My partner had the belly pork which he ordered as it came with crackling which he loves. Unfortunately he never got the cracking but we were only paying 50% after all! We also had a side of triple cooked chips which were crispy and quite tasty which was a pleasant surprise. Overall the service was good but the food was a major let down. We won't be visiting again unless we hear a new chef has been appointed!

Visited January 2014
3 Thank PeteFla
eatdrinkrare, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hello PeteFla.
So sorry you didn't enjoy your evening, we want everyone to enjoy dining with us.
Not greeting you as you enter is a big mistake as are the mistakes with the food.
Can you contact me at matthew@eatdrinkrare.com, I'm keen to make it up to you.
Matthew (Owner)
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good but could do better”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My wife and I dined on the January 50% off. We arrived just before our reservation time so had a drink upstairs. Nice bar, nice selection of drinks. It took a while to be escorted to our table (we thought maybe we had been forgotten). The dining area was nice, although as downstairs so no natural light. Took a while to order our food but the starters were really nice (scotch qualis egg).

I followed this with the porterhouse steak which was nicely cooked. I would have been disappointed if I'd paid full price but at 50% off it was good value. For £26 I would have expected a but more.

My wife had the burger which was really nice.

Service was a bit slow but we put that down to it being relatively new so we would go back (especially for the burger).

eatdrinkrare, Owner at Rare, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hello Jeffers1976.
So pleased you enjoyed the burger and the quail's eggs when you ate with us.
Our porterhouse is from Longhorn and is great quality, we think 400 grams is a great size steak.
I fully take on board your hosting comments and we are looking into recruiting someone new.
Thanks for taking the time to review and eat with us, it helps us improve.
“A Rare Experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Made my first visit with a friend yesterday and decided to eat in the Upstairs Bar. The Menu is unashamedly "Meat" and excellent. We sampled the Pork Ribs, Chicken Wings, Burger. All were excellent and to add to the experience the Chips were wonderful!!! Would highly recommend a visit.

Hello Chri1466.
Sounds like you have no shame when it comes to a good meat feast ;)
Glad you enjoyed your food. Our basement dining area gets a lot of praise form visitors - but the upstairs bar is starting to come into its own as a nice lively and bright place to eat - especially on a lunch time...
Hope to see you again soon.... and thanks for taking the time to review RARE.