“Excellent Hotel, Very good staff”

Clayton Hotel Leeds
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked Bewleys with a pessimistic frame of mind. But I was proven completely wrong.

Staff are very courteous, rooms are very clean. I requested the staff for a quiet room and the staff made sure that I was provided one instead of a random room.

Rooms and bathroom are cleaned properly every day. With small things like iron board, trouser ironing feature, safe vault, this hotel wins your heart.

The bar is excellent with several different types of drinks and food to select from.

The only downside is the gym. There is room for improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Kaushik,
Thank you very much for your comments.
It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and the team looked after you so well. They will be very pleased to read this review!
I hope we can welcome you back to bewleys Leeds again very soon!

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Leeds

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, great service, there are a few things that got to me,
1) Checking out- really long winded. Took 15 minutes each week to check out.
2) Room Service Menu- They had changed an item on the menu that I wanted but had changed this without notice, upon ordering I had a call 10 minutes later to say that it has been withdrawn, I did get an alternative but it's more principal.
Other than that I thought it was great, breakfast was brilliant and food was good.. The staff were well mannered.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear ravzmepa,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
We use fresh produce throughout so on occasion we do run out of items. I must apologise for the incpvenience this caused, although pleased a suitable alternative was offered. Check out should not take 15 minutes so, again, please accept my apologies for this.
I hope we can welcome you back to Leeds again in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Working in Leeds a few days a week I need somewhere to crash.

It was ok, but the in room wifi was very sloooow and the breakfast service more than a bit disorganised.

On the upside, a decent distance from town.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear John,
Many thanks for your review.
We have taken on board your comments about breakfast - the team are normally well-drilled so we look forward to not seeing a repeat of the chaos you allude to! On a positive, we have started again with our WiFi and installed new hardware trhoughout. We look forward to this work being completed by the end of July.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Checked in for a night away visiting a relative, 2 adults and 3 children under 11years old. Could not believe the number of stags and hens booking in... literally coachloads! Bit apprehensive to see this, though I had read a previous review about lots of stags and hens, but we felt very self conscious as we appeared to be the only family there.

Were given our rooms, the first one was ok, the second room absolutely STANK of cigarettes and the sofa was covered in cigarette burns, as this was a non smoking room we went down to reception and they immediately moved us, no problems, that was good.

However the other room which seemed ok we later realised was on floor 2, literally overlooking the front of the hotel, where the stags and hens gathered to smoke and wait for taxis into leeds for a massive night out. Constant shouting, banging of car doors from 11am when they appeared to go out and then arrive back at 3am? 4am? Basically from the early hours pissed people going out and arriving back right under my window.

Why did the hotel not put all the hens and stags at the front of the hotel where it's noisy and families (i.e us!) at the back where it's quiet??

Also, smoking appears to be an 'option' in the non smoking rooms as there is a sign which states "if you choose to smoke in this room you will be charged £100" implying that you CAN smoke if you want to - so they do!

Also smoking in the stairs going downstairs and someone left a can of lager for us to trip over on way down the stairs in the morning.

As far as I can see this hotel has some deal going with hen and stag parties at weekends so if you want a quiet night away with family, I'd go elsewhere.

PS do the smoke alarms not work anywhere in the hotel?? What happens if there is a fire?

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel at weekends
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Imogen212,
Thank you very much for your detailed review.
First I must apologise that you had a disrupted night's sleep. As the largest hotel in Leeds we do attract a broad mix of guests and, as Leeds is a destination for groups partying during the summer, we do tend to get our fair share!
Just to address some of your feedback. We do not allow smoking anywhere in the building. It is not optional and as you mention a £100 cost is incurred should they do so. Our smoke alarms are fully functioning. Those smoking-schemesters tend to put a sock over or dice with death by hanging out of the window to get a nicotine fix.
With regards to placing guests on the relevant floor, it is something that we do focus on and generally our guests are very pleased with how we allocated rooms. If we had have placed you on the other side of the building then the disurbance would possibly have been of the doors opening and closing on the floor that you were located on.
Many thanks again for your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great location when driving in to Leeds. On the edge of town but within a 10 min walk it the city centre and even less to the lovely Granary Wharf and the pubs/restaurants near there.
Lovely new bar, with a pub feel, nice rooms and lovely staff.
Would recommend for a girlie shopping break or couples night out. Good value for money and parking on site makes it an easy option.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Wendy,
Many thanks for a very nice review!
It is fantatsic to see that you enjoeyed your stay with us so much. I will pass your comments on to the team - they will be very pleased, I'm sure!
I hope we can wleocme you back very soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed here this week and will not be staying again. They advertise free wifi throughout all areas of the hotel. This was laughable as it did not work throughout my stay, regardless of where I tried. I did complain twice to reception staff who could not have been less interested. One male member of staff kept insisting it was working perfectly! I spoke to 8 people in the bar who could not get wifi, 3 in the reception area and 3 others in the lift. No connectivity at all. A nightmare for business travellers like myself as I had been travelling most of the day and had a lot of work to get on with.
My room whilst well furnished and spacious, smelled of tobacco smoke and there was ash on the windowsill confirming this.
Do not expect any toiletries - just a soap dispenser.
The only saving grace was the bar staff were friendly and helpful and the evening food was ok.
Breakfast was not so good, the bacon was stone cold and you had to run from one place to another to get various things.

Room Tip: Book in somewhere else if you need wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Alison,
Thank you very much for your review.
First I must apologise for the bacon you mention as wella s the poor wifi. We have had come challenges recently, which cumulated in loss of wifi in the public areas, except for in The Brasserie. The signal kept dipping in and out with no explanation. As a result, over the past 2 weeks we have reinstalled wifi throughout and added additional hardware to ensure that we have the best possible signal.
On a plus, is is great to read that the team in The Inkwell were on top form and looked after you.
i hope we can welcome you back to Leeds again in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed the weekend of the Tour De France in Bewleys Leeds. From the moment I booked to the departure of our stay the staff have went above and beyond in trying to make our stay as comfortable and as easy as possible.
Upon arrival we were told our room was on the 4th floor. My wife has a phobia of lifts and mentioned "at least I won't have to walk too far up", and without any further prompting Hannah on reception quickly offered us a room in the 1st Floor. That shows a level of care for customer satisfaction rarely seen in this day and age. She also handled our check in wonderfully after having just dealt with some rather difficult customers.
Parking was easy (if a little confusing trying to find it) and the room was spotless and clean. Air conditioning would have been nice though.
Breakfast was the usual buffet fare though the sausages could do with cooking longer, and more varied selection of fruit would have been nice. The staff were quick to oblige when we asked for a hot chocolate for our son.
I would not hesitate to stay here again, and would heartily recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: If staying on the 1st and 2nd floor, ask for a room away from the bar/restaurant area. We stayed jus...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank FabCat69

Dear fabcat69,
Thank you very much for a super review. I am sure the team (particularly Hannah!) will be pleased with the comments. The Tour de France weekend was extrememly busy indeed for everyone and it is great to see that our levels of hospitality were upheld!
I hope we can welcome you back very soon.