“Dont sell things you cant offer”

Clayton Hotel Leeds
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Ok where to start. I am having to put up with this aweful hotel for the next 3 nights.

Firstly i booked a double and got given a disabled room with 2 beds and lights not working in bathroom. Then got moved and told there isnt any other rooms. Again to a disabled room. Here is the issue. I am 6ft 4 and the sink is basically on the floor. Cant sit down on the toilet due to the location basically ur knees are under the sink which is 2ft off the ground and also due to the backrest on toilet you cant lift toilet seat.(worst bathroom planning i have ever seen in my life). Bed is a foot of the ground with the headrest section lower than the foot part meaning blood rushing to your head when you lie down. Food is good in the bar which is about the only good point. I am here for 3 nights on business and its ashame i couldnt book anywhere else.

Also took ages to check in, lifts take ages due to only 2 for however many guests stay here. Also dont try to access the wifi as for most of the time i have tried it drops to 1mb connection.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank richabbott
Michael S, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Mr Abbott,
It is disappointing to read your review, particuarly after we spoke to you and ascertained following your arrival that everything was OK and you were comfortable. You were very happy with your room move and how the situation was dealt with and assured us that there was nothing else we could do to assist you during the rest of your stay. I am sure you can appreciate our frustration when we go to the absolute lengths to deal with our guest queries and, despite being assured all is well, we read your comments on a review site.
I do hope that we can welcome you back again in the future and I would encourage you to inform us if we are falling short in any areas.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Very nice hotel in a good location. Staff really nice. Nice rooms and plenty family rooms with a third bed. Good parking.

Nice, comfy bar with bar snack menu plus you can eat breakfast in here without paying an extortionate amount for a breakfast you don't really want after a night out. Option to purchase toast and preserves or croissants etc as well as a full English/Irish brekkie (not bad) at a cheap price.

Bar wasn't open until late and we did head back for a night cap but there were a few stag nights in the hotel so it was probably wise.

Overall a nice hotel would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sarah F,
I hope you enjoyed your night out!
It is great to read that the team looked after you so well during your stay and i hope that we can welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Have stayed at Bewleys a number of times and find it to be on the "basic" side of hotels.
On checking in this week I did notice that the bar area had undergone a major facelift and it was certainly an improvement on the previous cold atmosphere it offered.
Unfortunately the bedrooms themselves whilst being a decent size offer very basic amenities and don't really give the look and feel you expect of a hotel.
When we arrived in our room we noticed that we were a set of towels short so phoned down to reception who grudgingly said they'd send some up to the room, after a 40 minute wait we had to leave to go out....no towels had arrived....very poor service.
I also find the reception staff to be quite off hand, on both check in and check out there is no real engagement from them as they seem to want to "process" you quickly and lack any sense of personal service.
Breakfast used to be self service, now the hot breakfast is served to you over the hot counter while you serve yourself from the rest of the buffet, the choice is ok but perhaps a little lacking when set against the room charge you pay.
I also don't think that parking should be chargeable for residents considering the room rate.
Next time in Leeds I think we'll be looking elsewhere where I expect we'll get the level of service expected of a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear 18SCFC83,
Many thanks for your review.
I must apologise if you felt the reception team were off-hand. this is really not normal form for them and they usually recieve great feedback. I have reminded them of what our expectation is. With regards to the bedroom not having the look and feel of a hotel is slightly confusing and I would be more than happy to take further feedback from you on that.
Please again accept my apologies and I hope we can welocme you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed Sat night with 2 friends for an event in Leeds at the arena. Was tough finding a hotel with a triple room and 3 single beds as not many cater for. £113 for the stay, did not have breakfast. Was warned by friendly receptionist that noise from hen / stag parties may be a problem but was put in quieter area 3rd floor and advised to contact reception if any problems. Heard the odd bursts of shouting in the night, but certainly nothing I wouldn't expect from a large city centre hotel, mainly it was fairly quiet. Overall our stay wasn't bad at all. Cleanliness seemed good, but no soap in bathroom pump dispenser, asked to provide but was given small shower gel bottle which wasn't really adequate - annoying. Bed reasonably comfy, but only one pillow per bed and no extra pillows, could probably have asked for more but was late by time realised and just wanted to sleep. Basic tea / coffee provided, no biscuits. Quick to walk into town centre from hotel. They were happy to let us leave our suitcases the next day until it was time to leave. Staff seemed friendly enough. Lift doors seemed to have a mind of their own and shut after about 2 seconds, nearly got clobbered several times!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Pinklou,
Many thanks for your review.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and look froward to welcoming you and your friends back in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Hotel was in a great location, close enough the the city to not be too noisy. The rooms were clean and spacious and the shower was nice and powerful.
All of the staff were really friendly from the reception team who welcomed us with big smiles, to the bar staff who gave great advise on where to eat.
Will be booking here again next time we are heading to Leeds

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shug717

Dear Shug717,
Many thanks for your review.
It is always nice to see that the team have looked after our guests so well, throughout the hotel as well as one particular department. I will certainly forward on your feedback and very much hope we can welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I booked a room in this hotel as I was after a budget option that was relatively central. A big warning that this hotel is dominated by stag and hen parties. From the moment we arrived, there was screaming and shouting all down the corridors and rowdy groups drinking alcohol in the public areas including the lifts.

What was more disappointing was the poor cleanliness of the room. I had read reviews which said the hotel was clean and that was primarily why I chose this hotel. However, just beside my bed there was a pile of what was unmistakably VOMIT. How this wasn't noticed by housekeeping I honestly do not know. I thought I would grit my teeth and bear it as I was only staying there for one night. But then I realised there was a large, very obvious, SEMEN stain on my bed sheet. I went down to reception to tell them about the state of my room and the woman was apologetic and gave me a discount (which is why I've not rated this hotel as terrible). Despite the money off I won't be staying here again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank luv4at

Dear Luv4at,
Many thanks for your review.
Unfortunately I just cannot accept your comments whatsover having spoken to all parties that dealt with you during your stay at the hotel - I have passed my thoughts to TripAdvsor and reasons why this review should be removed and look forward to them doing so.
We take all feedback positive and less positive and look to always improve. On this occasion I simply cannot agree with what has been written
Regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed past two years at Bewleys and loved it. Staying again this year. Staff very helpful and friendly. Beds were very comfy like being at home. Location is quite good. Walking distance from town but it is quicker by taxi.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Toni,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments - it is great to see that you enjoy staying with us so much and that you keep coming back
We look forward to your next visit!