“Helpful staff, good food; more finesse needed.”
Review of Brownlee Arms

Brownlee Arms
Ranked #202 of 1,961 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is a lovely up to date Pub with a large carpark in the leafy suburb of Horsforth. We serve real ales, fine wine, a few cocktails and homemade food all day.We serve traditional Yorkshire food a modern twist with delights including warming pies, beer battered fish & chips and with roast dinners on a Sunday. We also have some more international dishes such as Americana longboard, fish dishes, vegetarian dishes and a children's menu. Our menu changes with the seasons and all our food is homemade and cooked to order.We serve brunch from 10-12.30 pm on a weekend.We have an early bird offer 4.30-6Pm, 2 courses £12.95, Monday to Friday. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Following recommendations from friends, we had an evening meal here last week. On the whole, we were pleased with the food and the service was excellent. I don't think I have ever been to a pub with so many staff but they were attentive without being fussy and all very polite and knew what they needed to do. Lovely decor and a good atmosphere added to the overall dining experience. The only negative really was the lack of finesse in presentation of food; one of our party had the Christmas menu and I have never seen turkey presented with the slices of meat on the top of a heap over all the trimmings. It was a little like a five year old had put it on the plate. Bearing in mind we eat with our eyes as much as with our mouths, this looked very odd. I had the giant hot dog: paying over a tenner for just a sausage and chips seemed a little steep. The hot dog bun was definitely a day old and completely solid and not worth eating. Chips were fab but without paying the extra for the fried onions, I would have been very disappointed at my overall meal.

1  Thank LucyEmmaW
CpgBradford, Owner at Brownlee Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear LucyEmmaW,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent meal and I am glad that for the most part that you enjoyed your visit. Hope we will see you back soon again.
Kindest regards
Tracy Carroll

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My partner and I visited The Brownlee Arms a few months ago as we like the Stansfield so much.

He ordered the scotch egg and I the moules. Well we were bowled over by how nice it tasted, the warm scotch egg was amazing and even prompted us to go home and make it ourselves a week or so later, the yolk was oozing and the flavour of the meat was lovely.

We both then had steak, mine with a blue cheese sauce (my favourite) and again both meals were cooked perfectly.

I would definitely recommend this place - the décor is gorgeous, you can take dogs in the bar (not restaurant) which MOST places in Leeds don't allow so if we fancy an afternoon pint or prosecco after a long walk then this is perfect. And to be fair, it's a much better environment from what it was before!

Thanks

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Team Christmas lunch of arround 16 people. On the whole not an unpleasant lunch, having said that we will not be going back for seconds. One of our party was served tepid vegetables with a hot mains, we assume the veg was sat on the plate waiting for the main to be cooked. Another of our team mates was give a frozen Creme brulee but this was quickly replaced with another equally frozen creme brulee. Of the 16 or so starters, mains & sweets this was 95% pleasant.

1  Thank 522Paul
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Probably one of the worst meals I have ever had. Staff were mainly students who didn't really care. Avoid at all costs!

3  Thank Keithbrea
Reviewed December 15, 2013

As locals,we were pleased to hear of the arrival of the Brownlee Arms. My sister was visiting for the weekend and I never know where to take her when eating out as she suffers from all sorts of food allergies and intolerances. The staff at the Brownlee couldn't have been more helpful-phoning to check details beforehand and presenting her with her own individual menu on arrival.We all enjoyed our food and the staff were very friendly and attentive throughout. My sister was very impressed-the first time in over fifteen years of suffering that she has had such help.I will know where to take her next time she visits and we will certainly be going back ourselves.