“Perfection!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Visited The Hungry bear with a group of around 10 for the first time this weekend. What can I say, probably one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. You could be forgiven for walking straight past the unassuming building, you don't expect it to be where it is. Inside the decor is something between hip and homely. I think they sourced the furniture second hand, so lot's of mismatched chairs and tables, lots of wood, as bad as that sounds it actually works well and the end result looks great.
The restaurant was quiet at the time as we were dining quite early. The waitress who looked after us was fantastic, very knowledgeable when it came to the food/wine/ale and very friendly.
The food really was very good. You can tell the owners and kitchen staff are true foodies. Good selection on the menu, just the right amount of choice (I hate it when restaurants have hundreds of choices on the menu!). We had all three courses (excluding a complementary soup taster that we also had), We sampled each others meals and I didn't taste anything that was sub-amazing. The roast beef is insane, so so tender, such good flavour.
They also home-brew their own ales in the restaurant, as with the food they were also very good, the waitress explained the nuances of each one, where the hops were from, the strength, the flavour. We couldn't decide so we tried all of them! They tasted great, each was very distinct and unique, these are no generic "house beers".
Even the music they were playing was great! Who compiles your playlist hungry bear?
If you want unpretentious fine British dining you would be very hard pushed to find better than The Hungry Bear.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have eaten at the Hungry Bear a few times now, and the food, service and booze has always been top notch!! A few weeks ago a group of 20 of us went for dinner, we had the whole upstairs of the restaurant. The atmosphere was so relaxed and homely, it was easy to be able to move around and chat to everyone during the meal. Despite being a big group, the food was top quality and served promptly. I would highly recommend finishing off a meal with some Hungry Bear Limecello!

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

My partner booked us a table at The Hungry Bear in Meanwood it was our first visit and as soon as we walked in it had a relaxed comfortable feel we were sat downstairs near the door but despite from not been in the best place we had a lovely evening. The food was beautiful, homely and perfect for a winters evening. Service was just right and was good value for what we got all in all had a lovely evening and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

A friend and I ate Sunday lunch here a couple of weeks ago and, I have to say, it was one of the most amazing meals I have ever eaten. We were treated to a free spiced tomato soup taster which was divine and then we both had the roast beef. The portion size was great and the flavours were fantastic. It was definitely the BEST ROAST BEEF i have ever tasted.

The service let the food down somewhat, it has to be said. I have over 14 years of restaurant experience and it felt like this waiting team needed a leader. A lot of tables were left with dirty plates/glasses etc and the waitress forgot about a number of things we had requested. In fairness though, our drinks were comped at the end to try and compensate for this.
All in all, the food was so good I will definitely be returning, but I hope they get a decent manager sorted out first!!

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Lovely food, excellent presented. Loved the butternut squash soup at the start. Hats off to the chef. I will definitely return.