“Delicious Thai Food”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We first visited Thai Sun a few months ago and we loved the food but weren't blown away by the service. The first time we waited a while to be seated, this time the service was worlds apart and was excellent. In fairness to the lady she was running the front of house on her own and had around 5 tables of customers.

We ordered the mixed starter, which included Thai Fish Cakes, Spring rolls, Satay, Ribs and Prawn Toast. It was all delicious but I especially loved the fish cakes.

For my main I ordered Red Duck Curry, the duck was very tender and the curry was delicately spiced. Absolutely delicious would definitely have it again.

My other half had the half sea bass, it was nicely presented and I wished I ordered it. He said it was the best fish he had eaten in a Thai restaurant.

I ordered a Flora Tea to finish. It's a strange looking sea pod that you drop into a wine glass of hot water and it brews into tea and opens into a flower. It was lovely but probably not worth £3.49.

Meal for 2 with everything was around £45, included starter, 2 mains, few colds drink each, the flowering tea and an espresso. Think this is our new favourite Thai.

1  Thank notthecentralhouse

Reviewed July 28, 2014

This restaurant is a converted pub which has been done up nicely. The staff are very friendly and the food is lovely (although we tend to get 3 mains to share between 2 rather than getting a starter and a main each). We have been a few times since they opened and never been disappointed with the food.

2  Thank IainH78
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have eaten here 4 times now and do have a fair overview of the food and service.

To say that it is dingy with odd furnishings and an entrance that is difficult to find,as a previous reviewer mentioned is perhaps a little harsh, I think the furnishings are perfectly fitting and lend themselves to the feel of the place.
From a food perspective I think that each time I have eaten here it has been average to good but certainly not excellent.

W
My main issue with the Thai Sun is the service, or rather lack of service, in a half full restaurant we found ourselves waiting for drinks on a number of occasion and even after ordering we waited a further 10 mins, when the food arrived we had no plates and no knives and forks, and neither did we get a noodle side order which was ordered.

At no point were we asked how are meal was and when we did try to speak to the waiter/waitress about the level of service she smiled and walked away, though she was lovely I think she struggled with understanding English.

Unfortunately the service is the Thing that lasts longest in our minds and though the food was good the overall experience was not as enjoyable as it should have been.

I really hope they look to improve as I believe there is real potential and a lovely Thai restaurant in the area would be a good addition to all the many indian restaurants.

1  Thank flanandshame
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Came here for a belated birthday meal and really enjoyed it and will definitely be returning.

Was a little concerned over the interior after reading a review on here and not sure what they were on about as is been done out well ( was a pub before) and thought had really nice feel to it.

lots of choice on menu and also guide as to how spicy it is which is good, if like me, you are a spice wimp! We had the set menu B which was great as gave chance to try different things. Soup, mixed starter and then three different main courses to try. Were various other menus to choose from too.

all in all a great little place which i would highly recommend.

3  Thank Slinky69
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday lunchtime and had the place to ourselves throughout the meal.
We found the entrance confusing to start with and wasn't sure if we were going in the kitchen!
Inside was very disappointing very dingy, crowded with tables and 70's mismatched furniture and plants.
The prices were very cheap but soon realised why with the small portions. I don't eat much but left feeling still hungry.
The service wasn't great to say we were the only customers and were left for an hour with sticky fingers, with no offer of finger bowls so we had to resort to dipping our hands in our jug of water!
Although despite lack of attention when our waitress did appear she was very polite and sweet.
The crispy duck and pancakes came not crispy and already shredded which looked bought in. The coconut rice was gorgeous however the satay chicken sauce was almost gravy it was so watery.
Sadly we won't be returning.