“LOVELY FOOD WITH AMAZING FLAVOUR!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Soul Kitchen

The Soul Kitchen
Ranked #785 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Home Cooked Recipes with a soul food twist.Inspired by the classic dishes of the deep south, Caribbean and Creole cuisine. All our food is fresh and cooked to perfection for an authentic taste.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“LOVELY FOOD WITH AMAZING FLAVOUR!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We attended the Soul Kitchen on tue 1st April as part of a groupon deal for 4 people at 5.30pm the place is relaxed & modern, the staff were friendly and quickly seated us and explained the menu the food was presented beautifully and tasted amazing from the gumbo, giant ribs, king prawn jambalaya, fish caked & all the sides and it was all washed down with a lovely rum punch. Would recommend this place if you fancy something a little different from the norm with loads of flavour & style.
Thnx from the Badics table x

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ann r

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sooo good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I'd eaten at the Wardrobe's restaurant previously, albeit a long time ago, but wasn't aware of the Soul Kitchen until I bought a Groupon to give it a try. Very impressed; I've tried a lot of restaurant's take on the creole/caribbean/southern states thing, and what I was served here really stood out. But lets start at the begining... I was seated by a very welcoming young lady and quickly greeted by my very attentive and helpful waiter (I'm sorry, I didn't get your name) who talked me through all of the taster menu that the offer entitled me to while demonstrating excellent knowledge of the food and it's flavours. He quickly brought out the rum punches, which were pretty good although when compared to the Wardrobe's extensive and highly recommended cocktail menu weren't jaw dropping, but hey were part of a very very reasonable offer and so I'm certainly not complaining, followed by some warm up starters of Gumbo in tin mugs, accompanied by soft bread and honied butter - delicious. Then came the main event; I know other recent reviews have fully described all the dishes here so I won't reapeat that, but instead will just say that the ribs were amazingly tender and their sauce an excellent accompaniment, the sweet potato was beautifully spiced, and the salad and greens great contrasts to the other flavours on offer. The only thing I felt less than wildly enthusiastic about was the jambalaya, but thats only really because everything else was so good.
To sum up, the food was great, the staff were great (the excellent nameless waiter even offered to box up the leftovers without being asked - and yes there was that much food, and yes I did take it away), the atmosphere was pleasant and bustling without being loud and overwhelming, and all in all I was very pleased to have discovered the Soul Kitchen and have already recommended it to friends and colleagues. I will be going back, and I don't often say that about places that I try with Groupon offers!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ClarkJAS
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Customer service at its worse”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Tried to book a table with my groupon voucher for any night anytime a week before the expiry date to be told they were fully booked so i rang back without mentioning my voucher and was offered a table when i told her I had a voucher and my earlier call i was very bluntly told they were not honouring the deal any longer and if I had a problem contact groupon because she was only a waitress and there was nothing she could do.
I was really looking forward to eating here but its safe to say I wont be spending any of my hard earned cash in the soul kitchen

TomMou, Manager at The Soul Kitchen, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Billymac4

I can apprecite the frustration of not being able to use the voucher however we are only physically able to take a certain number of vouchers in any one night, the reason behind this is that the sharing platter utilises each section within in the kitchen and booking in too many of these will slow down service to a point where it will effect everbody in the restaurant.

Unfortunatley this will result in some people being unable to use their voucher as several hundreds have been sold and there is only 3 days left of this 3 month promotion.

I apologise that this wasn't fully explained to you properly and that you will be unable to use your voucher however if you contact Groupon they will refund the voucher for you.

I think the 1 star rating that was give is unfair and not a fair representation of the restaurant, we don't believe in just asking for people to remove reviews that we don't agree with and so would like to invite you in as my guest in exchange for a full review, if you wish to keep your 1 star at that point then fair enough. My email is tom@thewardrobe.co.uk

Kind regards

Tom Mountain
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Dining experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I arranged a pre mothering meal as I found the soul kitchen online . I was excited by the meal as it was of my heritage. I was very pleased with the service from our waiter James he gave us the standard of which we could only imagine a restaurant would give. The food was more of an American cuisine rather than a Caribbean one. The main took a long time to arrive out, and the steaks were semi warm. I was a little disappointed in the flavouring of the food as salt and pepper were needed. Also a child's meal was brought and I think for the price of it the size was of an adults this should be reviewed and be cut down in size and cost. A lovely atmosphere with a vibrant theme. I will visit again but I think more research needs to be done on the Caribbean side of the menu.

• Visited March 2014
Leeds
“Caribbean cuisine luvvly jubbly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

My wife and I dined at the restaurant on Tuesday 25 March, We were impressed with the atmosphere on arrival and the greeting by staff, especially our waiter Sean. He was excellent and couldn't have been more helpful. He explained everything about the food etc and nothing was too much trouble. First class food with a difference and the service was equally good, only one thing missing, we were not eating our meal adjacent to a Caribbean beach!!
Well done Soul Kitchen, a restaurant to re-visit.
SK,Leeds