“A wonderful old cinema”

Cottage Road Cinema
Ranked #6 of 56 Fun & Games in Leeds
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Along with the Hyde Park Cinema, the Cottage Road is such a local jewel to Headingley. From the latest blockbuster to art house movie, from kid's films to Senior classics ... all tastes and budgets are catered for. Enjoy cinema the way it should be enjoyed. Traditional and magical cinema. Beautiful.

1  Thank Tim&June
"classic movie"
"main feature"
"fabulous atmosphere"
in 2 reviews
"like stepping back in time"
in 4 reviews
in 19 reviews
"tickets"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I absolutely love Cottage Road Cinema! Being a student the tickets are ridiculously cheap at £4.50 and aren't much more for real people. The snacks are great too, you won't be paying a tenner for popcorn like in larger cinema chains and if you fancy a glass of wine with your film you can treat yourself. The cinema itself is full of character as well as being lovely and comfortable so the viewing experience is very pleasant. The sound and picture quality is great as well! I couldn't recommend Cottage Road enough.

1  Thank Emily C
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Where to start with this wonderful cinema? I can't state how good of an experience it is visting Cottage Road cinema. Obviously the first thing that stands out is the price. At £5.50 a ticket you get your full money's worth. Then there is the comfort factor. The seats may be the original fixtures and fittings (well, at least they are old anyway), but they are extremely comfortable.

Before becoming a regular visitor I often wondered whether I would miss out on the big feel you get going to a watch a blockbuster like Batman etc on a giant screen? However, I'm pleased to say that I've often enjoyed the bigger films at Cottage Road more than in the bigger multiplex cinemas. Man of Steel is an example where on a second viewing I watched it at Cottage Road and enjoyed the experience substantially more than when I saw the film at a bigger cinema.

It's a decent sized screen and very intimate but the sound quality is stunning and for me it's here that helps maintain that big feel for the more blockbuster films.

Obviously what makes it stand is the retro feel Cottage Road bring to the experience. It really does take you back to your childhood!

I feel the need to briefly mentioned what was written by Dale in a earlier review that seemed to dock a star because Cottage Road don't take card payment. Not having a card system passes on the savings to us that helps keep tickets, popcorn and everything else so cheap.

Anyway, for me, this is best cinema in leeds

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This lovely independent cinema has bags of charm and character. The picture & sound quality is excellent which is surprising amid such a beautiful vintage setting. Both ticket prices and refreshments are very reasonably priced, so don't expect to be overcharged like everywhere else! Just remember to bring cash - or book online before you come. Always a wonderful night out.

1  Thank Kate4657647
See more reviews
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We came here to watch Back To The Future a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. This is exactly how cinemas should be. You don't need a bank loan to buy a ticket and some popcorn as an adult ticket is just £5.50.

Our visit started by booking online, collection of the tickets was quick and easy despite there being hundreds of other people getting theirs. We then had a quick drink in their cafe area, I had a beer and my friend had a wine. I didn't even know they had a bar? You can even take your drinks in to the film! So nice to just relax before the show and have a quiet drink.

We thought the night was just going to be a film, to our amazement it was so much more than that, it was a night out. We saw some 80's adverts to go with the 80's film. It's hilarious how dated they look these days but I think I enjoyed seeing them more than the film. There was a short speech before the film and one of the event organisers dragged the 2 managers down to the front to thank them, one of them was even in fancy dress.

Half way through there was an intermission which was a great point to nip to the loo and get an Ice Cream from the lady at the front.

The film had been digitally restored and looked wonderful. I asked to see the projectionist at the end, as I was interested to know how it all works and he even took me to see the projection room and was talking about their brand new digital projector and sound system and explained how it used to work when it was done on reels.

Such a wonderful cinema, traditional decor, traditional values - a perfect escape from the big multi-screen cinema.

I will definitely be back!

2  Thank Paul S