“Superb Indian Veggie/Vegan food - 3 courses for under £10!”
Review of Anand Sweets

Anand Sweets
Ranked #189 of 1,932 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have been visiting Anand Sweets for many years as a small sweet centre based in the Harehills area of Leeds. They sold a range of savouries and also did curries to order. I think this was one of the best kept secrets in Leeds as I'm not sure many people outside of the immediate area knew that they did more than just sweets or exactly how good the food actually was.

Now some ten years on, the small take away has been extended and has been transformed into a 24 seat restaurant. The format is the same, the menu is currently the same, but rather than the four bar stools arranged across two window sills they used to have, you can now actually eat the food in comfortable surroundings looked after by friendly and helpful staff.

Ordering is possible at the counter or at the table. For starters there are no portions as such, you just ask for what you want (as it was at the take away). I ordered a samosa and four pakoras and grabbed a bottle of mineral water from the nearby fridge. The starters arrived promptly along with some dipping sauce which is vegan. The starters were very fresh, the samosa crispy and with a good, spicy filling of potato and other vegetables. Mixed vegetable pakoras were just delicious. I could have eaten many, many more of them.

For the main course I ordered the Thali. This is currently only available at lunchtimes (to 3pm) which is a pity if you want to dine at other times. I suppose they may change this in due course if there is demand. It arrived on a disposable plastic tray with a spoon and consisted of creamy brown dhal, mixed vegetable curry, rice with peas, two chapattis and some hot mango pickle. Normally yoghurt is included but as I had requested a vegan version I was given something that looked like a poppadom but was puffed out and thicker. Both curries were very tasty, as was the rice, The pickle had a nice kick and the chapattis were fresh and soft.

Having been offered some desert, I asked if there were any vegan sweets. Actually there are lots of them and a bowl soon arrived with three sweets - two ladoos: one made from brown sugar with nuts and seeds and the other made from flour and sugar. A third sweet was made from cashew nuts.

The bill for three courses and a drink was just over £7. Fantastic value for money and really good home-cooked food too.

Oh, and the place is absolutely spotless, including the toilets.

I would heartily recommend this place, it is a family business which is built on hard work and a clear desire to do their best for their customers - it deserves to do very well indeed.

2  Thank Jonathan S

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

They are the best in Indian Sweets and they cook everything in there so you get everything fresh not like any other sweet shops whom get their sweets from outside......
It's a vegetarian shop and you can also get Vegan food and sweets too.
Cholay Bhature and other veg. Curries are taste like jus what we used to get in India.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to Anand sweets after 5months. The indian snacks and the sweets are really mouth watering and soothing the taste buds. It was exactly the same I used to have in India. The food quality is really nice. Yesterday was my second visit and it was really awesome to see it after renovation they have expanded and it's like a modern sweet store. It's owned my Sikh owners and run by their family. The staff is really kind and presentable. I just love this place and would surely visit when I come next time to Leeds !!