“This is not as good as it used to be”

Seven Arts Bar and Cafe
Ranked #625 of 1,932 Restaurants in Leeds
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Long waits, staff 'can't say' on food ingredients so that's great for food allergies!
Known this place since it opened and it seems bad. I ordered something for lunch which never arrived recently, and on another occasion I asked for a simple thing - plain bread and butter and was told they had none, yet they do sandwiches and things on toast. The person who served me could not have cared less. Too many better laces for coffee and for lunch ocally for them not to up their game.

1  Thank hollydene

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

A few of us with very children went for a coffee in December, under the impression it was family friendly....well how wrong could we be....!?

There's a sign in the entrance asking for children not to be noisey, and if they are then they should be taken home. I'm sorry can children not be children any more? Were these sign writers never children themselves once?

The staff were pretty miserable in there place of employment, it seemed rather difficult for them to raise a smile which was a shame. I'm not sure if it their general personalities or the fact that another baby was entering the premises.

Shame really, Chapel Allerton is built up on families and I would of thought its all these groups of mums that keep places like Seven ticking over with all the caffeine and cake that we consume.

4  Thank Beehive83
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Visited as a one off with a few families after a FAMILY pantomime in the theatre ( which we were told is NOT to do with the bar?!?!) various families told to keep their children from blowing out candles, moving about the venue or being loud (2 other groups seperate from ourselves.) requested tissue after my son spilt juice- greeted with a scowl and wordlessly passed a tissue. Several families left after being 'reprimanded' by staff. Asked to talk to manager who basically said not to bring small children (unless silent and glued to spot) and that the bar is not linked to theatre pantomime. And protested that they have a 'very hard' job. (Dont we all??!!) Be great if they had explained children were unwelcome before we spent our money (which they gladly took through scowls and gritted teeth.) what a shame, as has potential to be family friendly as it purports to be. Bearing in mind all this occurred between 3-5pm on a Saturday. May be nice if you are child free?!?! Otherwise KEEP AWAY !!! Really sad ending to the afternoon as pantomime was amazing.

5  Thank Jainff77
Reviewed October 29, 2013

great spot inside modern arts centre in achingly fashionable Chapel A
Pork Meatballs on spicy polenta was delicious
Very busy on a tuesday lunchtime a good sign...
def going back - esp as had 2 timmy taylors on draught for an evening bar visit
staff a little on serious side but nothing but efficient...

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The service was better than my last visit - its been a while since I've been brave enough to come here with baby in tow. But we risked the scowls and dirty looks, and it was worth it.

The food here really is delicious, tho very unusual - not your average cafe food.

One major comment - NOT ENOUGH HIGH CHAIRS!! I know they don't like you to bring your pram into the bar area as its quite small. I'm fine with this, but I do need somewhere to put my baby..... 12 babies / toddlers in there today spread between six tables. Two high chairs???? It's ridiculous really.