“Great Atmosphere”

The Alchemist
Ranked #64 of 1,914 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A modern bar/restaurant: A celebration of the unconventional, dark and controversial!
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Fabulous cocktails, great outside wrap around terrace area over looking Leeds. The service needs addressing along with the amount of people that can crowd this small outside area, when we visited a gentleman in a wheelchair had managed to wedge himself in between the walkway which caused a problem to anyone who wanted to enter or exit the area, surely this causes a major health and safety issue if a fire or emergency situation occurred.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I last visited Alchemist in April this year for my friends birthday. I called in advance to try and see if I could arrange guest list entry for my friends and I (as they were visiting from London) to which I was rudely spoken to and told that we would have to get in the queue with everyone else. I wouldn't have minded if I was spoken to in a civilised manner but I wasn't which didn't start things off on a great foot!

Upon arriving at Alchemist we waited in the queue to see a number of people jump the same! Lovely. Good effort on sticking to your own rules guys!

The queues at the bar were a joke. We waited around 45 minutes to get out first drink (which was also out last) and were not apologised to for our wait.

It's a pretty bar but there are much better ones in Leeds on a Friday and Saturday evening.

1  Thank KimberleyAndMike
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

5☆☆
Great bar staff. Knowledge.Experience. Helpful and kind staff with excellent customer skills...willing to help with anything and everything. Chelsea was amazing.

1  Thank sylvb113
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Awesome drink menu and cocktails that are presented beautifully and often quirky. If you are lucky enough to get a spot out on the veranda in good weather then even better.

Average cocktail is about £8 so go for the ones that give you more for your money (like the Strawberry Cup) and avoid the "two sips and then gone" martini glass drinks!

Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I've been here a few times, often during the week, because its just too busy on the weekend. The cocktails are delicious, I've tried quite a few ;) the outdoor balcony provides a lovely view, whilst the experience of the cocktails (very Heston Blumenthal) adds to the atmosphere. Because its busy the staff are often rushed off their feet, despite them being obviously very skilled, they are often rather surly.
Overall, if you can get a table i'd definitely recommend it. I haven't eaten here yet, but I'd recommend the passionfruit mojito!