“Unbelievably poor service, and treatment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Angelica

Angelica
Reserve with OpenTable
Angelica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Unbelievably poor service, and treatment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I had a night out in Leeds for my second hen party with a small group of friends, we are all professional people in our early 30's who appreciate a nice cocktail bar so Angelicas was top of our list!
We queued for about 20 minutes to get in which would not have been a problem if the experience was better but unfortunately we were treated like second class citizens once inside. I was wearing a small headband with a little lace veil attached which I was quickly asked to remove as it was "company policy" that no fancy dress items are worn. This would have been perfectly acceptable should a lady at the other side of the bar with a large gaudy flashing plastic crown have been asked the same but she was not. When this was questioned the staff member just stated it was up to the management! The other lady was either a regular or was leaving larger tips. Then after waiting a considerable time to order, the batman took our order, only for another staff member to say to him "serve them first" pointing to another group who had only just arrived. The bar man then said sorry and went to take the other groups orders. Unbelievable. we should have left at this point but had a cocktail each which was over priced and not great, the other specialist cocktail bars nearby are far more spectacular and better value for money. We did not let this place ruin our night but will certainly not be returning to this pretentious establishment with the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Maffmich
Mark M, General Manager at Angelica, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Please accept our sincere apologises that your experience in Angelica did not exceed your expectations. I would like to, if at all possible to discuss your experience in further details. Unfortunately I do not have your contact details but please contact me on angelica@danddleeds.com. Kind Regards, Mark

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was our second visit to Angelica's. The first was for cocktails on a busy cold November evening, we sat outside (for the novelty to enjoy the amazing skyline of Leeds) and were given blankets and shown how to use the patio heaters. The waitress was excellent and remembered our first round of drinks (4 of us) when we came to reorder and help suggest changes. The second visit was for lunch on a friday, on a hot day in July. We were given a choice of tables to be inside or outside. The service was excellent. Drinks were served immediately and the water regularly topped up. We had the goujons fish boat of the day with fries and tartare and the meat board selection with pickles, both were delicious. We love this place and will return again.

Mark M, General Manager at Angelica, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for the lovely review, it really was a pleasure to read. I have passed your comments on to our back and front of house teams, and they were delighted that you enjoyed your time with us so much.

I hope to be seeing you soon at D&D Leeds.

Best Wishes,
Mark
“Angelica Leeds - Arogant Doorman and Poor Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I used to go to this place at least twice a week in which I would spend a small fortune, this will not be happening anymore – the “Door Man” was arrogant and evidently capable of a spontaneous “power trip”, he said that me and my family couldn’t come in (for no apparent or justified reason), I interrogated as to why and he just said “it’s just not happening tonight”. From this absurdity I then I asked for his name to which he replied “Mavin Gaye” (what a joker). Obviously furious at this response I asked him to get the manager for me to try and establish this “unapparent issue” – unsurprisingly he said she wasn’t available to speak to. Regardless, I walked straight past the “bouncer” and found the manager within about 30 seconds. I explained to her that; 1, the Bouncer had refused us entry and couldn’t justify it and 2, he seemed to think it was funny referring to himself as Marvin Gaye when I wanted to follow up this illogical behaviour (The Manager laughed…). The old practice what you preach saying springs to mind - I’m sure the higher management will be pleased to hear of this awful customer service especially towards regulars, you’ll be competing with Yates’ and Weatherspoon’s before you know it at that rate! Good Luck!
A good alternative if people are in the area/Trinity Leeds looking for great cocktails and food would be Alchemist, albeit owned by the same company but entertain far better staff and are marginally cheaper too!! Enjoy.

3 Thank Jason D
Mark M, General Manager at Angelica, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I would like to offer my apologies that you did not receive the usual high standard that we strive to achieve at Angelica.

If possible I would like to discuss your experience in further detail if possible, please could you contact me directly at angelica@danddleeds.com to arrange a convenient time.

Kind Regards,
“very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

After rave reviews from friends I couldnt wait to go to Angelica's and thats exactly what I did.... wait.... upon arrival we queued for 15 mins with sevral others joining the queue and speaking to the 'bouncer' with attitudes of dont you know who I am!! When we were allowed up, we queued at the bad again waiting to be acknowledged which didnt happen for 15 minutes when we were finally asked for our order. Still waiting for our drinks some time later the guy who initially asked for our order told us to tell another member of staff for our order, at this point we were all annoyed. Finally got drinks and sat down again waiting to catch the eye of a waiter/ waitress to order some food, but, the staff went to great lenghts to avoid eye contact with my party where as the table ne t to us had three members of staff running back and forth bringing drinks and starters and more drinks we sat.... waiting.....
When we finally got served and ordered we enjoyed the food, but due to the general attitude of the staff I dont feel I will be returning to Angelica's gorgeous venue and views of a great city, but elitist and pretentious attitude all round. Very disappointing

2 Thank Katharine J
Mark M, General Manager at Angelica, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Katharine,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I take every comment from my guests very seriously, and would like to discuss your experience in further detail.

Unfortunately, I do not have your contact details but please could you email me directly at angelica@danddleeds.com to arrange a convenient time.

Many Thanks,
Leeds, United Kingdom
“a lovely drink on a sunny evening, whoops!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

A bar with fabulous service and super views. It is a bar where one is able to smoke and this is one of its attractions to those who combine a drink with smoking, as many were doing last night. Then, the waitress takes away the ashtray and tells us that smoking is "off". The manager in is great wisdom has put some artificial turf down (perhaps to celebrate our world cup success). The reason given was fear of people stubbing out cigarettes out on the "grass"!
We will be finding a different venue in the future.
Thanks manager.

Mark M, General Manager at Angelica, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Colin,

I would to offer my sincere apologies that you did not receive the usual high standard of service we strive to achieve at Angelica.

If at all possible, please could you contact me at angelica@danddleeds.com to discuss this in further detail.

Many Thanks,