“Something different, really good fun!!!”
Review of Behind the Town Hall - CLOSED

Behind the Town Hall
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Got a groupon for wine tasting, brilliant value at £12 for 2, but prices good even without a voucher.
Owner was lovely, really sweet and very knowledgable, tried 6 wines and had gorgeous platter of meats and cheeses.
Would definetly return.
It's a shame there isn't more advertising of this quiet unassuming place, but then if it was full of drinkers out on a session it would lose it's appeal, but the experience is brilliant, and should be showed off!

There are newer reviews for Behind the Town Hall

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I bought one of those cheap voucher experiences for wine tasting and some cold meats. The owner Martin was not around on this Thursday afternoon but not to worry we got the infectious personality of Joel who didn't disappoint when it came to making the experience a unmitigated success. The blind tasting consisting of 3 red and 3 white were served from black bagged bottles. All were excellent and the German ones in particular were a very pleasant surprise. We picked our favourites and were then given a fabulous platter of meats and cheese. All delicious! Here's the negative. The front of the wine bar had two 2nd hand green sofas that my gran would have had since she was married! These next to a bar which was fine but with horrid laminated stating which wines were dry, medium etc. spend a few bob putting some glass high tables and stools and some professional info POS and you may have somewhere the younger generation may want to visit. Add some German beer and a proper German menu and your cooking. Well done Joel. Top customer service. Don't top laughing! Would be fun for a after work experience too.

1  Thank Andy G
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Went with my friend on a groupon and after reading other reviews we was excited. When we arrived we sat down. Then we wasn't told what was going on.Martin spoke to other tables an not ours at one point we had to ask him to come over to tell us about the wine, very poor service and as our first wine tasting experience we was disapointed. In the end we walked out..

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Been here three times and enjoyed it every time. The staff really know their stuff and go out of their way to find something you will enjoy. Martin is very passionate about his wine and never ceases to surprise with his in depth knowledge and personal experience of sourcing wines that no other bar will think of to stock. We will be buying more than a few bottles for our wedding. Absolutely brilliant!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have visited here three times now and have never been let down. All three times I have gone for the wine tasting with a cheese and or meat platter. I think it is exceptional value, with fantastic wines and food. The atmosphere is great and its my new favourite place to meet up with and enjoy the company of friends. Martin the owner is extremely knowledgeable and I always come away feeling like I've learnt something new.

I will definitely be back and I am very excited to sample the menu. I cant recommend this place strongly enough.