“Excellent way to spend an evening”
Review of Behind the Town Hall - CLOSED

Behind the Town Hall
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent way to spend an evening”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have visited here three times now and have never been let down. All three times I have gone for the wine tasting with a cheese and or meat platter. I think it is exceptional value, with fantastic wines and food. The atmosphere is great and its my new favourite place to meet up with and enjoy the company of friends. Martin the owner is extremely knowledgeable and I always come away feeling like I've learnt something new.

I will definitely be back and I am very excited to sample the menu. I cant recommend this place strongly enough.

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful evening!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I visited Behind the Town Hall last night with a friend who has been previously - we chose to sample 3 wines, with a full glass of our favourite accompanied by a platter of meat and cheese which we enjoyed over a period of 3 hours! We were served by the proprietor, who first quizzed us about our preferences and then brought us the wines he had selected for us to sample - between us there were 2 reds, 2 whites and a rose. After ensuring we knew how to properly taste the wines, we were allowed to do so at our leisure, and eventually we both selected the same red to go with the food. Most of the wines are German, with a few Portuguese, however any preconceptions you hold about wines from these countries should be left at the door as they were all lovely and indeed I would have been happy to have been served a glass of 4 out of the 5. When the food arrived, again we were impressed - we were lucky enough to have timed our visit the day after the owner had returned from Germany, and so out meat and cheese platter was accompanied by some delicious Rye bread that he had brought back with him.

This place has a unique charm, and the proprietor is lovely - clearly very knowledgeable about his wines, and eager to share this with his customers. It is an experience to be savoured, and as I said we were in there for 3 hours - previous reviews have complained about the speed of service, but we didn't see this as a problem at all. It's not something you'd do in your lunch break from work, but we though it was nice to spend some time with someone who clearly cared so much about what he did and ensured we got as much out of the experience as possible - definitely more than worth the £9 price tag, I can't recommend it enough.

Idle, West Yorkshire
“Fun Afternoon - Great Service”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Booked as a wine tasting deal through Groupon, not really knowing what to expect.
Our host was Joel Selebabo who was standing in for the owner/proprietor currently overseas.
Two tastings of white and then red wine specialising in German an Portuguese followed by your favourite choice of wine and a selection of meats/cheese. A great way to spend a few hours and a good selection of wines to taste which were good value should you choose to buy a few bottles after tasting and deciding what you liked.
Thanks again Joel who made the afternoon both entertaining and enjoyable

Yorkshire
“Unique”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I love this place, it is so quirky and has a fabulous wine menu. There really is no other place like it!

1 Thank Lslou
Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Groupon deal, wine tasting with a mezze of meats and cheese. Martin was a really good host, very attentive and a passionate lover of wines. Truly enjoyed the day, it's a must. The menu looked really good with really good prices. We will be back!

• Visited July 2013