“All fur coat and no knickers” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cuvee Leeds - CLOSED

Cuvee Leeds
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Leeds, UK
“All fur coat and no knickers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening a few weeks ago. I knew it was going to be odd when I asked for food only to be told the chef 'wasn't in today'. On a Saturday!!

We were there for a friends birthday so thought we would stick with it.

Good points:
Great location
Nice view
Extensive drinks list

Bad points:
iPad wine list - what is that even about? They didn't even work very well.
Dirty toilets
Ran out of ice by 9pm. Okay if you're not making out to be some sort of high class drinking venue (sell a few iPads and buy another ice machine)
Didn't clear any tables for two hours (sell another few iPads and invest in some staff training)
To top it all off when someone had the 'audacity' to point out that that our table could do with clearing the manager told him 'there are plenty of other bars'. And this was at 9pm. (sell the last of the iPads and get customer service training for your management.

Could be great, thinks it's great... but it's not.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank LeedsRobbie

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Let down by poor customer service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I visited Cuvee on Saturday evening just gone for a friend's birthday. The bar itself is a great space with views to match. I liked the iPad drinks menu that displayed not only price but information about the different beers. Nice touch. Unfortunately several aspects made our party leave with a nasty taste in our mouths so to speak. The toilets were not the cleanest with old 'splash' markings around the toilet base, giving one the impression the area had not been cleaned that day. The disposable hand towels had simply being plonked in a wicker basket still in their cellophane wrapper. 'Oh the glamour,' as Alex Polizzi would say! At no point during our two hour visit did anyone come and remove our empties from the table. I myself did several runs to the bar with empties. One of our more outspoken friends did ask a member of staff when ordering another round if someone could remove the empties. His reply was that the bar was busy and no apology was made. When my friend pointed out that half the seats in the house where empty and he and I were the only people stood at the bar, and that in fact other bars of similar standard and price do come and clear tables, it was suggested to him that he should leave and go to such a bar. I thought the member of staff could have handled it a lot better and there really was no need for pure rudeness. Especially given the fact we had spent best part of £300 in 2 hours on drinks! A shame but with a little work and attention it could be very good. Malmaison service level is what they should aim for.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank simonpwilkes
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place & view to match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Have been here a few times and everytime been made to feel welcome, as well as the great cocktails & the food to match. the area is out of the way, but its like a little hidden treasure that needs to be discovered more. The view by the canal & the skyline is fantastic. would definately recommend a visit here,

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Leeds, United Kingdom
“nice drinks shame about the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Beautiful setting for a bar / restaurant , nice wines and beers, the saint lager being exceptional. A sun trap on a nice day will call back again. unfortunately we tried the food and were not impressed at all, and will not be eating there again. If good honest food was to be served here we would try again. If you try the tapas dishes be sure to buy at least a dozen each to have a chance of feeling like you have eaten.

2 Thank matt p
CuveeLeeds M, Manager at Cuvee Leeds, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Sorry to hear that the food did not meet your expectations, it's very important to us that our service is always outstanding. We have replaced the Head Chef and we are launching a new menu this week. We have an official menu launch on Sunday 29th September with live Funk and Soul would be great to see you there, and you can eat for free.
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“Maybe it has changed significantly since reviews in March? Stale bread, vague staff, extremely rude 'manager'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We visited for lunch as it was a beautiful day and the location is fabulous, the menu looked lovely and we asked the waiter for a table for lunch for four. We were given menus then about 5 minutes later asked what we would like to drink, about 5 to 10 minutes later we were given our drinks and asked if we'd like to order, this was about 12.30pm. I ordered first only to be told they were out of the bread I requested, so I accepted an alternative, my daughter next, out of her bread too! She accepted an alternative, then my son and guess what out of the whole sandwich he wanted so no sundried tomato bread, sage bread or white bread, chicken, bacon or egg and it was only 12.30pm! The waiter said the bread had not been delivered so why had he not told us this up front, we would have gone elsewhere, instead we had been entrapped or drinks were partly consumed and my son had a train to London to catch so we had no alternative to find other things to eat. The food finally arrived, my sons tapas (which we had confirmed with the waiter would be big enough for lunch) was very small, he had been advised to order chips too but the chicken parcels were 3 bitesize pieces. Our sandwiches looked sad, three soggy potato wedges and a teaspoon of coleslaw not how the menu described at all. My husbands choice promised a mini loaf, pork pie, etc (half a pork pie and three tiny slice of white bread) he asked for butter with his bread and was told the chef didn't believe in butter! He was given mayonnaise instead!! I went in to speak to the manager and was told there was no one on the premises. Instead the chef came down who seemed to have a cold he was very lethargic and uninterested. I requested some ham for my son to have with his chips as I was concerned about the lack of food for his journey ahead, this arrived 5 minutes later, there was no rush or no concern from any staff that I was upset. I went back out and at that point realised the bread in our sandwiches was stale, both myself and my daughter attempted to eat something but left the rest. I paid the staff for our drinks and left a note for the manager with my name and mobile number stating I would not pay for food part of the bill for all the said reasons. I explained this clearly to the two young waiting staff and said I would be happy to call back in and discuss the matter with management. The told me the 'manager' would be in at 4pm. He did call me to tell me he had an 'issue' with me! That being as we had eaten the food we should have paid. I explained we had not eaten the food and he attitude was appalling saying that we had eaten some of it and I should get down there and sort it with him face to face! At that point I requested that his manager phone me, I also requested his name so I could put it on here but no surprises that 5 days have passed and I have not heard anything. All in all this ruined our last couple of hours with our son before he went away, the food quality and the handling of the situation was appalling.

• 1 of 5 bubbles