“Real Ales in a uniquely British setting”
Review of The Hop

The Hop
Ranked #24 of 161 Quick Bites in Leeds
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Nestled amongst a group of bars and restaurants by the side of the Leeds/Liverpool canal, and built itself into a railway arch, The Hop is a great place to stop and have a couple of pints on a Saturday afternoon, and not at the usual inflated city centre prices. Owned, I assume, by Ossett Brewery, it serves 5 or 6 of their ales, together with a number of guests. (I had a couple of pints of a Ruby Mild, which was creamy and went down a treat). I didn't try food, but am advised that the £5 pint and pie menu is spot on; the pork pies in the fridge behind the bar would have tempted me if I ddn't have dinner booked, too. The bar staff were friendly and knowledgable: I tasted a couple of Ales before making my choice. The bar also has live music on selected evenings. Could have happily stayed all afternoon...

Date of visit: October 2013

Reviewed October 1, 2013

attended here for lunch and drinks with my partner this week. I decided to try something different to drink, I think it was called something mist cider, it was flat and also had some kind of alien life form floating in it attached to an air bubble. I took it back and the bar staff changed it straight away. we had pie and beans/peas for lunch and it was very nice.

Date of visit: September 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Busy, busy pub (fab setting for sunny days and warm evenings - just a few yards from the Leeds Waterfront, and v close to the Train station - close to good eateries and no passing traffic)

Add this to a wonderful selection of fairly well kept beers and ales - and it's always going to be a hit!

Date of visit: July 2013
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We went to the Hop bar in Leeds on Saturday 2nd March 2013, two couples of us (we are in our late 40/50's) at approx 7.00pm to have a drink before we went for a meal at a local restaurant, this was our second drink of the evening. I went to the bar and ordered the drinks and I noticed they had Erdinger wheat beer on draught so I ordered a pint as I like wheat beer. We sat down and started to drink our beer and I noticed that mine didn't taste right, it had a slight sour taste (I know it is a cloudy beer). I had a few more sips but could not drink any more and took it back to the bar to exchange it for a pint of Tuborg. The young lady said she would get the manager, the manager asked what the problem was and I told him the beer did not taste right he then asked if he could he have a taste, He then took a straw, dipped it in the beer, placed his finger over the top, pulled it out and placed it in his mouth to taste and said it was fine. I was not happy with his testing method, taking what would amount to a spoonful and telling me it was okay. I asked him if this was the the official method and his reply was yes and would not change the pint!! When I asked for his name and told him I would complain to Osset brewery he said he would change it - this time only. I do not take kindly to some scruffy unkempt bearded (scruffy, skinny denim dressed approx in his 30's) so-called manager giving me his opinion of a premium priced premium beer out of a straw. In this day and age, when pubs are closing at approx 20 per week you would think that they would train their managers to have some respect for your customers and not to patronise them in this way just to save the price of a pint of beer, if this is the standard of managers that are running Osset Brewery pubs i think my friends at CAMRA and I will be soon be looking elsewhere to drink in the future. DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR BEER YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Date of visit: March 2013
6  Thank coliam
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Excellent choice of cask ales in The Hop as ever. Four home brews from Ossett breweries and a further six guest ales.
I can also recommend the pie, mash and peas if you're a hungry.

Date of visit: February 2013