“Would definitely return!”

Ambiente Tapas Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 1,886 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Style: lively, classy, stylish and vibrant restaurant in the heart of Leeds’ trendy Calls Lane area Size: 94 covers, plus small bar and balcony Good for: couples, families, large parties, special occasions, working lunches, weekend drinks, casual lunch, formal dinner, access to Calls Wharf, Leeds Armories, Corn Exchange and city centre
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall this is a lovely restaurant.

I'd advise booking in advance as they seem to fill up quickly.
When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly barman and had a quick drink in the bar.

I was pleased there are as many fish and veggie options on the menu as there are meat.
We had the tapas wheel which was simple but good. The chorizo and potatoes were really nice in a sticky sweet glaze (you need bread to soak this up). The meatballs in a chilli and lemongrass sauce tasted more Thai than Spanish but the sauce was really tasty. The mushrooms, black pudding scotch eggs and prawns were all really good too. Well cooked and full of flavour.
My only problem was the calemares dish. The squid was covered in too much batter (in my opinion) and was quite greasy and bland but unfortunately not many places get squid right.

The portions were a little on the small side. I was full but my boyfriend wasn't yet we ordered quite a lot I think - the tapas wheel for 2 plus 6 dishes between us and a dessert to share.

Service was good. The whole experience is quite 'quick'. Pretty much as soon as you've ordered, the food starts arriving. You don't get everything at the same time, it just comes out when it's ready which isn't a problem for us.

Overall it is a great restaurant with great food and we'd definitely return.

There are newer reviews for Ambiente Tapas Restaurant

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We dropped in here for lunch on Saturday, having been unable to get in a couple of weekends ago in the evening - we hadn't booked. Great location at Calls Wharf, near to the centre and we were able to park in the street for three hours. Our waitress was really helpful, asked if we'd eaten there before and explained the ropes - that all the tapas dishes are freshly cooked - the kitchen is open to the restaurant - and so they bring them to your table as they're ready. We ordered the set tapas for two, for £25. The food arrived promptly, piping hot and was very good. Meatballs in chilli and lemongrass sauce were delicious. Spanish beer on tap, excellent Alhambra bottled beer and a wide range of sherries. Really good all round - definitely need to book in the evening, especially at weekends.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had a great expereince here last night, food, wine, atmosphere was brillant, however, we had the set menu as we were a large Group and for me I left feeling a little hungry and wanting more, although what we had was brillant.

1  Thank greatscot4thattempt
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I live close to Ambiente and hadn't taken much notice when it replaced what was there before. I went with a friend on a Wednesday evening and was astonished. The entrance isn't very inviting as you can't see in, but once through the glass door you enter a lovely large space on two levels in the wonderfully positioned old riverside warehouse building.

We had a great and very professional welcome from the young staff. Even on a Wednesday they were pretty booked up but we were seated on stools at one of the high round tables, which in the end we preferred. I'm not usually big on tapas as I'm a veggie, but they have a separate tasting menu for vegetarians, which was marvellous. Excellent selection of sherries and wine. All of the dishes were terrific - really fresh, full of flavour and beautifully cooked.

So overall, an excellent night out and a very welcome addition to the generally mediocre quality of the Leeds restaurant scene. Great value. But do book, even mid week!

1  Thank richardLeedsUK
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited Ambiente last month after reading all the wonderful reviews on trip advisor and we weren't disappointed. We had the introduction to tapas menu for two and every single dish was fantastic - I particularly enjoyed the potato and chorizo dish, it was one if the best tapas dishes I've ever tasted! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing to dine out in Leeds.

1  Thank manaoben