“"Meat-ath-alon" the new sport taking over Leeds”

Red's True Barbecue - Leeds
Ranked #58 of 1,829 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
York, United Kingdom
“"Meat-ath-alon" the new sport taking over Leeds”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

2nd Visit here with mum and my niece, again a lovely meal we had the "Bin lid full of meat" which was for 4....needless to say there were a lot of left overs! Awesome cocktails, food and company will be back no doubt....when are you opening a joint in York!?

• Visited February 2014
Gary G, Guest Relations Manager at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Good Morning WeLove, I'm so glad that you & your family enjoyed your latest visit to Reds True Barbecue, we sincerely look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Unfortunately there are no immediate plans for a restaurant in York at present, but look on the bright side, the cost of driving to Leeds & eating at Reds is still probably cheaper than paying for parking in York centre for two hours ;oP

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Leeds
“Outstanding feast!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Wow. The wait was most definitely worth it, you can understand why this place is so busy. It's got the hustle bustle you want, it's not going to be the most romantic but for true BBQ food a la USA, there isn't any better, well at least in Yorkshire.
Quality food, beef brisket and pulled pork cooked perfectly, the wife had the smoked chicken which was the same.
If you haven't been here, try it, you won't regret it!!

Visited February 2014
Gary G, Guest Relations Manager at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Good Morning Dipesh, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Reds signature dishes of North Carolina Pulled Pork & Texas Beef Brisket, there's a lot of time & love that goes into the creation of those particular plates so I know well that the Chefs will be delighted to read of your complete satisfaction.

You've just got to try the St Louis ribs on your next visit Sir & we sincerely look forward to seeing you again at that point.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Anticipation let down”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having heard the reputation of this place, Finally entered the doors after 18 months. To say I was disappointed is an understatement... It was lunch time, two of us ate, we both had the Pulled pork, chilli dog sandwich combo... the sandwich was drenched in sauce (Not a bad thing, but it made the sandwich difficult to hold onto), the onion rings it was served with were bland, and after one bite , the rest was left on the plate, this was the same with the coleslaw too, it didn't hit the expectation levels I had, maybe I was expecting too much, but then my friend also came to the same conclusion, the pulled pork was a let down. it wasn't overly busy, they had ample staff working, so when it came to paying the bill, we couldn't understand why the tin (which the receipt came in ) wasn't taken away once we placed our currency inside it, my only conclusion is the staff was hoping to hold onto the change as tips... Sorry peeps, this may sound harsh but as I had waited so long to try this place, it was a huge let down. on a positive note I will give them a second chance, I will go back to try there ribs but I'm not rushing in anticipation to try them just yet.

• Visited February 2014
Good Morning Jason, Thank you so much for taking the time to review Reds True Barbecue & for posting a review here.

I'm so sorry that we let you down with your baby back ribs on this occasion, especially so as you appear to have enjoyed almost all of the other attributes pertinent to our restaurant. I do have to ask you though, did you address this ribs issue with your server when they checked back with you during your meal??

The 'checkback' at Reds should occur between 5-10 minutes after you received your meal & that would've been the ideal time to comment or complain about your food. Had you complained about your baby backs lacking tenderness, we would have had absolutely no problem in replacing your plate if we found your complaint justifiable, no problem at all.

I do hope you'll give us another chance as the instances of tough ribs at Reds are rare, but at times unavoidable due to the varying nature of the cut discussed.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Do you want some meat with your sauce?”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I am a serial carnivore, so logically this place would be right up my street. Not so!

I ordered a pork and beef combo with coleslaw (which I was told would be seperate to the plate).
What I got was a trough of sticky, heavy BBQ sauce with a pretty lacklustre portion of dry meat flecks swimming around at the bottom. And a wad of coleslaw on top.

If you like your food to be dunked a variety of thick, overpowering BBQ sauces, then this is the place for you. But if you want to taste meat, you will be extremely disappointed. There is a lot less variety than you would think, reinforced by the fact that everything comes drenched in the aforementioned sauces.

The price is expensive for what you get, and there are so many superior alternatives in Leeds *coughFAZENDAcough*.

I'd like to point out that the atmosphere and service is largely irrelevant if your food is that disappointing. I am not one for doing pretentious eloquent restaurant reviews, but I feel compelled to warn fellow carnivores that Red's barbecue is to be avoided!

Hope this helps!

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank A P
Good Morning AP, thank you so much for visiting Reds True Barbecue.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the food on this occasion & hope you'll give us another try at some point in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Meaty goodness if you can wait!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Arrived on a Saturday... 2 and a half hour wait... so we knew it must be good! Left our name and number and went for a drink somewhere else. Got a phone call after 2 hours and they were ready for us! Atmosphere amazing, service amazing, food amazing! The extractor fan broke filling the place with meat smoke, but we didnt care as the food was so good! Dont dress up as you will come home smelling like a smoke house, but if you want meat, at a good price, this is the place for you, will definitely return!!

• Visited March 2014
Good Morning Leanne, Thank you for not just visiting Reds True Barbecue, but for your patience & understanding with regard to the long wait & issues with the broken fan.

We sincerely look forward to seating you again very soon.

Many Thanks - Gary G