“Good drink, great food ”

Red's True Barbecue - Leeds
Ranked #61 of 1,838 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good drink, great food ”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Went on a busy Friday. We were offered bar seated area as restaurant full but enjoyed looking out onto the street - watching locals stumble about was entertaining :)

Ordered a cocktail that was very nice as was the specialist beer. Food came quickly and smelled amazing. It's a bit of a messy job eating but it's all part of the experience and the food was great. We shared a combo with an extra side and still had plenty left over. However staff totally happy to box this up for us! Cheese on toast as a side, delicious!

Staff had to deal with an act of aggression from another table and they did this in a totally professional and relaxed manner. They apologised to other diners and made things as comfortable as possible. Well
Done.

The only reason I can't justify a 5 is the server we had seemed a little slow. Several other areas ordered food before us, we were felt to feel a little forgotten and we had to request several times for the bill. Also ladies toilets had no loo roll. Which isn't the best! That said, I totally appreciate the busy environment and it would certainly not put me off. Have recommended to friends and would return.

Gary G, Guest Relations Manager at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Reds True Barbecue Victoria, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the food & appreciated the same aspects of the window jump seats that I myself find priceless.

I'm SO disappointed to hear about the toilet roll & customer aggression episodes, one being totally unnecessary on our part & the other somewhat in the lap of the gods I'm afraid, but glad to hear that neither incident has put you off a return visit.

In mitigation to your server, Section 4 can be overwhelming at times because it tends to be where the largest concentration of large groups of diners are seated. I'm sure you can understand that two long tables of 12 boisterous (and more often than not, tipsy) Festive Feast diners will take longer to process than any regular 24 heads, your comment about feeling overlooked is valid however & therefore duly noted.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon at which point we will endeavour to raise our game, put our best feet forward & acquire that much sought after fifth star.

Best Wishes - Gary G

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Goole, England, United Kingdom
“Christmas Menu!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

There were 22 of us in here for a stag do so we had to go with the set Christmas menu because the party was bigger than 8.
It was £28 per head but it was simply fantastic value for money considering what they served up.
Everyone got potato skins as a starter, then they literally gave us a dustbin lid full per 3 people. And when I say that, I mean an actual dustbin lid. This was rammed full with two types of ribs, two types of pulled pork, chicken, turkey, american style sausages in bacon, brisket. Plus all the various sides they brought out for us followed by desserts.
Brilliant service and a brilliant restaurant experience all round. Mine and many others first visit but I'll definitely be heading back as soon as I can.

• Visited December 2013
Thank you for being our first customer to review the Reds Festive Feast Ryan. I'm delighted that you & your party had a great dining experience & we very much look forward to seeing you again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A meat lovers dream”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

If you love ribs pulled pork and huge burgers massive onion rings and the American style dinner then try this . It's always very busy and this was our third attempt to get a table. . Once in service was quick and friendly . It's very noisy and tables are close together so perhaps not the place for a romantic meal but the b b q style menu was extensive . The food quality was very good , portions generous and food was very tasty . I loved it. I did not check out the veggie options as I simply got carried away with the extensive menu and combo variations . Nearly full marks but the noise levels were a bit high for me . Would certainly go again.

Visited December 2013
Gary G, Guest Relations Manager at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Reds True Barbecue so positively Julia, I'm glad that you enjoyed the food on your first visit & appreciate your tenacious persistence in refusing to give up hope of securing a table one day.

With regard to quieter restaurant times both in terms of volume & traffic, Monday to Thursday afternoons between 2pm & 5.30pm are much steadier if you're ever available between these hours. We sincerely look forward to seeing you again soon!

Many Thanks - Gary G
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The good the ok and the oh dear me”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Good bits, nice atmosphere busy, but not nuts and a smell that sets your taste buds up for a good time, and the brisket is fabbby
There was a group of five of us and the service was good very polite and friendly.

OK bits, we all ordered the pit burger, no option as to how it was cooked, and I was expecting to see something godzilla would choke on and................. not really that big, sorry, what exactly is the uncooked weight of the burgers used? There was not much in the way of pulled pork in mine and no brisket at all which I brought to your waiters attention and he brought a side order of brisket for me which was delicious.and good service, though on the other hand it should not have been missed out

The oh dear me, grits they are definitely an acquired taste and the guy who ordered them spent a fair bit of time in the USA and the verdict was not ordering that again.

Overall, good service good atmosphere a pretty average burger to be honest with no choice as to how cooked it is but really fab brisket and it would be nice to have pulled pork sometime as there really wasn't much in the burger.

Go but pick the dishes you chooses wisely.

• Visited December 2013
Hi Geordie, thank you for taking the time to review Reds True Barbecue in such a candid & balanced manner. We sincerely hope that you saw enough good aspects herein to give us another try at some point in the future, to further impress & hopefully raise our grades in your culinary opinion.

There are many individual ingredients which go into creating the mighty whole known to all as the Reds Pit Burger, so we are neither alarmed nor inconvenienced if every item utilised is not to your taste & you'd prefer that certain constituent parts were omitted from your dish. As I say to all of my new customers at the restaurant, You're In Charge! Tell us what you want & we'll move heaven & earth to deliver exactly what you need. As standard, our burgers are grilled to medium, but please do let us know if you have an exacting preference whilst ordering.

I apologise unreservedly for the brisket omission, a rare error from our accomplished Chef's I must add, but I'm delighted to read that your Server immediately & without question supplied the aforementioned item & corrected this issue. The grits are indeed an acquired taste, our 'Marmite' side if you will, but we are not adverse to allowing customers to sample our grits prior to ordering, so once again, please ask your Server if you're in any doubt.

I do hope to see you again soon Geordie & on your next visit I expect that you'll be sitting down to a tasty Texas Beef Brisket plate with sides.

Best wishes & many thanks again
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“2 hour wait for a table!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

second visit to Reds True Barbecue......my partner wanted to treat me to a nice meal in Leeds city centre last saturday sadly they still have the same terrible booking system...well you cant actually book you have to turn up and hope your not kept waiting too long. sadly in our case it was two hours!!! yes its busy season and the food was as good as a remember my partner and i agreed on that but neither of us are big drinkers and waiting around the city centre for 2hrs to eat there wasnt how we wanted to spend our evening out, maybe seating isnt such a problem the rest of the week or a quieter times of the year but having worked in the industry myself i think its about looking after your customers whatever the time of year sorry but your lack of any kind of organised booking system means despite the good food we wont be back ....and no we wernt alone when visiting the ladies another customer mentioned they had waited more than two hours to get a table and wouldnt do so again. Great food shame about ridiculous wait thats how you lose repeat customers.

• Visited December 2013
Gary G, Guest Relations Manager at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Good Morning Ms Thistle, firstly, thank you for taking the time to review Reds True Barbecue & secondly, thank you very much for your patience on Saturday evening. With regard to your extended wait, I partially covered this topic in my response to Amy XLP just a couple of days ago, so instead of rehashing & rewriting what I have already said, I will copy a relevant tract from my previous reply............

"Without wishing to sound like a smart aleck, Reds really took off when it opened in September 2012 & by doing so, created a buzz in Leeds for authentic American barbecue that no one, including the owners, could ever have anticipated or expected. There's no way to make the restaurant larger than it is presently, so the Directors & Management have diligently investigated every concept, idea, option & permutation of seating, customer flow, customer service & operational efficiency until such a time as they were comfortable in feeling that the best options for the preponderance of our customers had been achieved for the majority of our opening times."
Honestly Ms T, the Directors & Managers are not imbeciles, we know that it is far from ideal to make people wait so long & we are aware that there are a significant number of customers that despite loving our food, service & surroundings, are just not prepared to wait for these extensive periods of time to be seated. Nevertheless, I'm afraid that this is the Reds True Barbecue paradigm not only at this time, but for the foreseeable future! Booking just doesn't work under the crushing demands of such rampant over-subscription. When booking was tried it failed miserably with tables left empty for extended periods of time as we honoured contracts that were late, or failed to materialise at all. This of course had a knock on effect of creating an even longer waiting list, an even longer wait, more complaints, more anger, more negative comments & much more frustration for the customer & restaurateur alike.

May I reiterate so that everyone who might read this is absolutely clear, "the Directors & Management have diligently investigated every concept, idea, option & permutation of seating, customer flow, customer service & operational efficiency until such a time as they were comfortable in feeling that the best options for the preponderance of our customers had been achieved for the majority of our opening times."

In short, this is how our restaurant works at its operational best for everyone involved Ms T, I am aware that this reply will do little to assuage your obvious disappointment, but we have to employ what we know is best, most logical & the fairest for the customers who are prepared to wait, to arrive early or to dine at the less sociable times such as between 2pm & 5.30pm Monday - Thursday.

Thank you so much for visiting, reviewing & advising Reds True Barbecue Ms Thistle, your input is duly noted, acknowledged & greatly appreciated.

Amen