“Enjoyable, great atmosphere, good service. Great food. Needs to review booking policy.”

Red's True Barbecue - Leeds
Ranked #148 of 1,982 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went here last night for my daughters birthday. You can't book and just have to chance it. We arrived around 8 with two small children on a Wednesday evening and was hoping it wouldn't be busy. We couldn't have been more wrong. It was heaving. We were told that it would be an hour an a half wait for a table. Which was way too long for us and the down side is that they don't have a bar area or waiting area. They take your number and if a table becomes free they will call you back. Within five minutes we got a call back. I think the receptionist took pity on us with it being a birthday treat for my young daughter. We were sat next on a table of eight with another party of four and to be honest we were almost apologetic as it felt like we were intruding. The tables are very close together and its a struggle getting in or out. That said its a busy vibrant place and this probably creates the atmosphere. We ordered starters which were fairly small and quite expensive and then pit burgers as our main which were to die for. I think it is the nicest burger I have ever had and its huge. The meat is absolutely beautiful and tender. The children were well catered for too with their own menu and the waiter made a real fuss of them with free milkshakes and a candle in my little ones ice cream dessert. I didn't catch the waiters name and it is a shame as he was very attentive. He pitched his attention to us just right. Overall a little expensive but if you fancy a treat then this one is a winner for me!! Although the hassle of just getting a table would probably make me choose somewhere else next time.

Scott M, Owner at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you had a great time when you visited Red's with your daughter. I'm also glad that the Pit Burger may be the best burger you've also had! We love reading feedback like that! Good to have another Meat lover on board, and by the sounds of it, your kids are on the right track too!

Regarding reviewing our booking policy. We do this constantly which is why we offer limited group bookings Mon to Thur. We do not take bookings at all at weekends, much like Nando's and other fast casual restaurants, however we don't ask our customers to queue up outside. Instead we offer a personal call back service which means if there is a wait for a table, you can pop to one of the amazing bars on our street or indeed do some shopping etc if you prefer. This means we keep our atmosphere (that you kindly refer to) at it's best and don't have empty tables for hours waiting for bookings to turn up, if they do at all. It also means we're not booked up for months at a time, which we think could be a reality.

Again, thanks for your custom and hope to see you soon.

Scott
Red's True BBQ

Write a ReviewReviews (3,015)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I've visited Reds a number of times it's amazing food, authentic american BBQ, delicious meat and great value! If you love meat you'll love it, especially if you like meat slow cooked you'll be an instant fan.

I have visited in the evenings and once the waiting time was over 2 hours so we decided to visit another restaurant (theres lots in Leeds). I find it quite amazing that people are complaining about waiting and not being able to book! This is an authentic american smoke / BBQ house great simple food, you don't book these type of places, as you don't in america or similar places in the UK. The fact a restaurant is being penalised for being so great everyone wants to go there is madness, the call back service is a great idea but I know there have been issues. Personally the service has been good and the staff actually know about the food and seem to make honest recommendations.

My tip go for lunch it's never as busy or be prepared to have a few pints in one the bars next door. Oh and have the ribs!

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Found Red's on tripadvisor while looking for somewhere to eat for a upcoming shopping trip to Leeds. Se we knew about the no booking policy, which is a bit of a pain. We popped into Red's about 1215 on a saturday earlier than we wanted to eat, knowing we would be put on a list. They told us it would be about 2 hours, but we got a call back at 115, so not to bad. The food was amazing, we shared a starter of ribs, then main meals pulled pork and beef brisket all of which tasted amazing. Even the sides were great, sweet potatos fries, pit beans, corn bead, and cracklings. We were both stuffed after but couldn't resist sharing the peanut butter, maple syrup and banana milkshake, yummy! The atmosphere was great, they played some great music and the staff were all friendly. Can't wait to go back, despite the no bookings. Loved it.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I like to go out for a nice meal this is an over stated over rated American diner waited 3 hours for a table n so not worth the hype far better restaurants in Leeds. Lads night out good place but if going for a nice meal with other half dont bother the menu is small n to be fair I have had better food from a fast food place. Would be nice for lunch but a chav evening meal x

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your personal rating. You gave 5/5 for service and 3/5 for everything else, yet a 2/5 overall. We're wondering if you actually saw all of our menu (which is renowned for being extensive) as you say its small? We have 53 authentic BBQ choices on our menu and our market research shows that we're at the upper limits already. That's not to mention the unique specials we design daily. Suspect there must be a mix up somewhere.

We have invested heavily to bring authentic low n slow barbecue to the UK shores. Our smokers are custom-made in Oklahoma and we spend a huge amount of time and effort to bring this unique style of food to the masses, using bespoke local sourcing techniques for our meat, produce and craft beers. McDonalds also bring food to the masses, but they tend to avoid the heavy lifting we do to bring something different to market. We're concerned that you missed all the good stuff that makes us unique. We are more expensive than McDonalds though., agreed on that point.

Sounds like we'll see you for lunch, but perhaps not in the evening.

Regards
Scott

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I definitely needed some persuading to eat here as I really don't enjoy BBQ sauce! I was pleasantly surprised by the variety and it was nice to find out where all of the ingredients had been sourced from. We waited a while for our food, but it was delicious. I had the 'pit burger' (without BBQ sauce!) I'd perhaps suggest getting one between two with a side order? The service was quite laid back but suited the casual atmosphere of the restaurant, and the music was amazing. Not a location for a date, but for a casual meal with friends.

Greg N, Manager at Red's True Barbecue - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Hi Alice,

Cheers for your review, and coming to eat at Red's when you don't like BBQ sauce! Next time time you come give the Unholy sauce a try, or at least get a pot for the table and dip your finger in, I'm not a huge fan of the E-number type sauces you get in the supermarkets, but all our sauces are homemade on site, with the epic Unholy Sauce containing 32 ingredients! It costs so much for us to make, we charge £1 for a pot of it for your table, but we give the profits to St. George's Crypt in Leeds.

Enough about things you didn't order, good choice on the Pit Burger though! It's pretty big, I'm sure you gave it your best shot, and you can always grab a bag-of-shame and stick the meat in a bun at home on another day, always works well as leftovers.

Cheers,