“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Elysium - CLOSED

Elysium
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: City centre located LS1 (2min Walk from Leeds Train Station) modern Italian Restaurant/Bar, offering Modern Italian Cuisine. With a new food menu for the restaurant to appeal to people with all tastes of Italy. Offering great value meals with Fine Italian Dining. While the menu covers most regions of Italy, there is a particular emphasis on the cuisine of Italy. Elysium is committed to sourcing ingredients from small, artisan producers, with many specially imported from Italy. In true Italian style, we insist at Elysium preparing and making all the bread and pasta fresh each day, complemented only by the very best in seasonal British produce.
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went into the restaurant last night. We waited near the entrance to be greeted. After been ignored I went over to the bar to ask if we could have a table. Have you booked? Was the bar staff sharp reply. I said no but I noticed it wasn't busy. There were only a few tables taken. To this he told me it was very busy and left us standing in the bar area. He then went over to the kitchen area and stood arguing with a waitress who was busy waving her arms around. After 5minutes watching this we decided to leave and take our custom to the lovely Indian across the road which provided excellent friendly service from the start.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Lynnerosie

Wakefield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous place serving fabulous food....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I find some of the reviews quite unfair because this place is a lovely restaurant serving very nice food by very pleasant staff!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Patsywildcat62
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Visited Elysium after purchasing a groupon voucher and it was value for money. We were greeted by a friendly service and although the restaurant was fairly empty due to it being mid week the atmosphere was perfect. We added a starter and beers to the voucher and even brought some of the pizza home - everything was excellent and would definitely recommend a visit

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Carol S
“Mixed feelings but would return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Used a Groupon voucher for the steak and lobster to share.

Eventually found the entrance on the side street and the initial welcome was "ok" but lacked warmth. Starters were OK. Fillet steak was superb and cooked exactly as requested. The lobster faired less well. Probably pre cooked and reheated. Lobster needs to be fresh and only just cooked through.

Wine selection was basic but good value.

Not very busy when we went so limited atmosphere. They are trying and I wish them well. Will try again.

1 Thank Kenny131
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great food and fantastic atmosphere!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Myself and my partner have been here three times since it reopened last year and loved every visit. We tend to go on a Saturday night as there is a piano player/singer who performs there each week - he really adds to the atmosphere and regularly has people singing away and tapping their feet as they munch on their pizzas.

We'd recommend the Elysium pizza (my partners new "favourite pizza ever" apparently), the salmon pasta, the garlic mushrooms (the garlic cream sauce is amazing) and the fillet steak. I have to say when I first saw the steak I thought it was a bit on the small side, but the quality of meat more than made up for it. Very friendly staff who will check in with you as your dining, we even had a very amusing Italian waiter who got my party of 4 up and dancing at the bar. That night in particular really was one of the best dining experiences I've had and my guests were very impressed!

I don't usually write reviews but having seen the mixed ones on here (particularly after reading the negative experiences some Groupon users have had) I felt I needed to speak out about one of my favourite restaurants in Leeds. The only negative I can think of was the wait for food on our most recent visit, they were very busy so it took a bit longer than usual, but the piano player kept our spirits up and the waiter kept us well stocked up on wine refills, so I can't complain!

Once you've been there once or twice the staff recognise you and greet you with a very friendly 'hello', which in my experience rarely happens in other places, no matter how much you spend.

I'd say that you need to give this place a go on a Saturday night if you don't mind a breather between courses (Saturday's are busy!) and you like somewhere with good Italian food and a jolly atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014