“Value for money”

Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Comfy and clean rooms. The location was very quite but with a 20min walk we will reach the town but through some alleyway. Food was just ok and could have been better. Wifi was a bit slow too. The service of the staff was ok. A hotel for those on a budget as this will be what one get for the kind of money one pays for. So a reasonably nice budget hotel overall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
georgina w, Manager at Jurys Inn Leeds, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Timonth413,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Jurys Inn Leeds.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay even though you have said you beleive the food could have been better. If you are willing to give more specific feedback about the food I would be very grateful and can be contacted on georgina_wylie@jurysinns.com.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards,

georgina Wylie
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Lovely Hotel, Nice bar and Reception, fantastic helpful staff... We even got given free Wi-Fi in our room.
Room was lovely, clean, spacious.
But... we were on the side of the hotel that overlooks the square where there are several bars/restaurants which is great, however there must have been some nightclub which was on until about 4am and it was so noisy outside during the night. If you want a quiet night, it might be worth asking for a room on the other side, which is hopefully a bit quieter.
Fab location, very close to the City Centre. There is also a Sainsburys right next to the Hotel, so you can get supplies (food/drinks) from there.
I would stay again, But request a quieter room.

Room Tip: Ask for a Room on the Quiet side, away from the square where the bars are.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kate H
Dear Kate H,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Jurys Inn Leeds.

I am please to see that you had an enjoyable stay, I am howerver sorry that your room was noisy due to the courtyard outside.
We are currently working to reduce this by speaking with the bars and restaurants and have recently installed secondary glazing which has helped the noise levels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Georgina Wylie
Deputy General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is perfect for a fun filled weekend with friends, which the hotel seems to cater well for. I would not reccommend for couples, because of this. The rooms are clean, well priced and stylish, and you can expect a good nights sleep. The city is a stroll away from the shops, bars and restaurants even in stilettos! Ideal for a escape with friends!

• Stayed July 2013
amz20
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Were alowd to check in early and rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable. Brrakfast and staff were great. Brilliant value and near the train station in a very nice area. Would stay again and very accomodating for a group of 3.

• Stayed July 2013
melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had an overnight stay here after 4 nights at Jury's Inn Chelsea. The hotel was ok but the service and the meals were nowhere as good. Rooms were similar layout and comfortable enough. The location is ok and only a short walk to main street

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Immingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Visited this hotel last night and found it an ideal place to stay in Leeds.
I was with a party of twelve out on a stag doo it was an immaculate hotel that provided a great nights sleep.
All the staff were very accommodating.
The rooms were very tidy and the showers were very good.
I was also impressed with the lifts everything looked new.
It was also good to see a security guard on the door to help prevent any trouble.
Highly recommend to other travellers.

Room Tip: All 6 rooms we had were to a very high standard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tortola
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've recently stayed for three nights at the Jurys Inn Leeds and overall was very happy with my choice. I've chosen the Jurys Inn because my number one and two choices were either full already or became extremely expensive just days ahead of my journey to Leeds (there was a major rock concert and a major conference going on the week I've stayed in Leeds). I've never before stayed at any of the Jurys chain hotels so in the end I've chosen the Jurys Inn Leeds based on the good price (40 £ incl. breakfast) and some good reviews here on TA.

Location
======
The hotel is situated on the banks of river Aire, in the so-called “Brewery Wharf” neighborhood (the former Tetley brewery plant is just around the corner), pretty much in central Leeds. The Brewery Wharf basically consists of this hotel, a few restaurants / bars, a large apartment building and a spa. It looks as if Brewery Wharf had been developed within the last 10 – 15 years or so. The hotel is located right across the beautiful Centenary footbridge. I think the location is very nice as it is quiet, it is safe and because one has easy access to most of the main parts of the city.

One can walk from the main railroad / train / bus station of Leeds to the hotel in a matter of 10 – 15 minutes. On the hotel's website they say it's just a six minute walk but I believe that is a bit overly optimistic, especially for people with suitcases or who are unfamiliar with the location.

I've chosen to get there from the airport by taxi cab anyway because I've arrived at night and also because I was unfamiliar with the place. Also, I've checked Google streetview beforehand and I have to admit I was a bit confused about how to get there – especially at night – as the surroundings didn't look to inviting to me I must say.

On my way back to the airport I've also chosen a taxi ride because with a suitcase and a trolley it's not so much fun to walk to the railroad / bus station. A single taxi cab trip to / from Leeds airport costs 18 £ (inc. 2 £ that taxis have to pay to enter the airport). The hotel has a special agreement with Amber taxis, I think you can save two or three pounds using them but you have to prebook them that means you have to call them up by phone. I've used Amber cars just for my return trip (the receptionist called me a taxi from that company) and though the driver was courteous, the car looked a bit run-down. Anyway: An alternative to get from the airport (Leeds-Bradford) to the hotel is by taking bus number 757 which stops at the rail station and from there you either walk to the hotel or you take a taxi for the short ride.

Room
====
I think the room was fine for the price. It was clean (at least it appeared so), it was quiet (6th floor) and the king-size bed was comfy. The bath came with a tub and everything else one would expect to find in a bathroom. Please see the photos that I took to get an impression of the bedroom and the bathroom.
What I liked was that the room had a coffee maker and a good hairdryer (in the cupboard). The flat screen TV had a large selection of British TV channels. The air conditioning is very powerful but a bit on the loud side. There was an iron and an ironing board in the room as well.
What was lacking in my opinion was a refrigerator and an in-room safe. Valuables have to be stored in the safety deposit boxes at the reception. The soap and shampoo dispensers in the bathroom are a bit of a nuisance, I think.

People
=====
I think the staff there is brilliant. With perhaps one very minor exception (the person who handled my request for a safety deposit box looked a bit bothered by me), my interactions with the people from reception, the restaurant, the bar and housekeeping had been positive or even very positive!

Hotel guests during my stay obviously were both, business travelers as well as tourists (and others). In other words: it's neither a business hotel nor a tourist hotel; it's probably suitable for everyone. There is no dress code, guests are wearing suits or jeans or whatever. Almost anything goes.

A small problem I had at check-out (there was an incorrect 20+ £ charge to my room for food obviously ordered by somebody else) was sorted out within seconds by the lady at the reception. Well done!

Facilities
=======
The hotel and its facilities are well maintained. Everything worked well and the furnishings looked OK. The restaurant where they served breakfast from 6:45 am in the morning is very nice, they even have a couple of tables outside. Buffet food was good, absolutely no complaints. They serve a full English breakfast, juices, cornflakes, bread, and so on. However there is no chef to prepare breakfast specifically to your liking (at least I didn't see anyone, though they advertise that you can have items such as poached eggs upon request). Coffee comes from a machine. In the restaurant they also have lots of courtesy copies of the local newspaper “Yorkshire Post” for guests to read during breakfast hours.

The bar was very popular on both nights that I've been there and prices for drinks and food are reasonable and in line with what other 3 star hotels charge. By the way: If you don't like hotel bars then I can recommend you the large Aires Bar, located on the other side of the river, just a 3 minutes walk from the hotel entrance.

Conclusion:
========
I can recommend this hotel to the budget minded traveler (on business or tourist). It is in my opinion better than most 3 star hotels that I've stayed in the past and not much worse than some of the 4 star hotels that I know of. Truly value for money! I will definitely consider staying there again if traveling to Leeds sometime in the future!

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo