“Great Location and good service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Park Plaza Leeds
Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Larbert, United Kingdom
“Great Location and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Was down in Leeds on business and booked into the Leeds Plaza. Staff very friendly and accomodation clean and well presented. Have stayed here a few times before although normally travelled by train. This time I travelled by car and when I phoned to find out the nearest car park, I was informed that they had a small car park at the side of the hotel which I could book (only holds around 6/7 cars). This was ideal and saved a walk though to be fair the multi storey is about a 5 minute walk away, nice touch though to be offered this amenity when available.

WIll be back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grantham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was really looking forward to my weekend away. So choose Leeds as the venue, I had friends travelling from all over the UK so Plaza was nice and handy by the station and we needed to book triple rooms, which turns out is quite hard to do in Leeds! Some guests were staying for 1 night, some for 2.

The rooms - all of them (that we had booked) were spacious, clean and modern, great nights sleep. The hotel was in a great location and that is where the good points end.

Some rooms had a keyboard for the internet some didn't. Both triple rooms that were booked only had cups/glasses etc for 2 people. No-one could log on to the free wifi!

Sat eve 3 of us returned to the Plaza around midnight and asked if we could order food at the bar. The bar person told us we could only have a cold sandwich, not a problem. We ordered 2 cheese and 1 tuna mayo, 2 soft drinks and a pint of lager and we were charged £30 ... outrageous!! After sitting in the bar for a while the bar person explained that because of the time we had to eat our sandwiches up in our room, so we took our drinks upstairs. After an hour of waiting we had to ring reception to find out what happened to our sandwiches, an apology was given but another half hour wait before the food arrived ON THE WRONG BREAD, just how hard can it be to make a sarnie? We asked for it to be put right and another half hour went by.

When I told the receptionist in the morning she said she would inform the Manager.

More friends who were staying at the hotel but came back after midnight asked the bar staff if they could order a drink. They were told they could have 1 as it had been a quiet night and the girl was going home asap-appalling attitude. Unlucky for her a Wedding party arrived and the bar had to stay open.

We went shopping Sun and came back to find nothing had been cleaned in our room! No beds made and the left over sandwiches/plates etc were still sat on the side. No clean towels. No extra loo roll. Beds were not made. Coffee/milk/tea/biscuits NOT replenished.

We had to track down a cleaner in the corridor to rectify their mistakes.

Mon when we were leaving I asked to speak to the Manager who kept repeating.. well I know its not your fault but ... NO it wasn't MY fault, I don't work there! I was a guest...

Reference the sarnies, he said that the night staff did not know where the food was kept in the kitchen ... oh dear! Well may I suggest the night staff should be told OR take the 24hr food off the menu.

When we told him about the triple room only having cups/glasses etc for 2 he asked if we contacted Reception. We should not have had to it was booked as a TRIPLE room!

His attitude screamed 'lack of respect' he couldn't be bothered and there was no gesture of good will, he had no intention of doing anything to rectify the mistakes made.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to family, friends or other Trip Advisor reviewers.

Room Tip: Rooms great, beds great - attitude of staff... very poor
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 5pud
ParkPlazaOps, Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
This complaint has been discussed directly with the client, we had a issue with room service on the night. Regarding the room cleaning this was undertaken and would have been without the client asking for it and also the bar was open until 2am as we advertise.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

stayed here last week with my daughter as we were visiting leeds university.
great location just 3 minutes walk from the train station and straight onto the shops the other side.
the reception staff were lovely and efficient, the room was a delight. very modern and clean with fluffy towels and a bath robe. tea/coffee etc. plus mini bar and complimentary water. we were on the 12th floor so great view all around.
Wish we could have stayed longer than one night!
at check out we asked to leave our bags as we did not want to carry them around all day at the university and this was no problem which really saved the day.
we did not use the bar but it looked very inviting and apparently the restaurant food is really good (another guest told us) and they gave you 25% off the meal.
Would definitely stay there again and for the price it was fantastic.

Room Tip: high up for the view and to avoid any noise if on the front although double glazing very good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for positive comments and feedback.
Worcs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Overall, we had a pleasant stay. I would recommend the hotel and would be happy to stay again.
My husband,baby and I stayed for one night on a family visit. We got a good deal on a website, so I really can't complain.
The staff had provided a travel cot, erected it and supplied fresh linen, which was a nice touch. The room was very clean and comfortable. Nice sized bathroom with a good sized bath. We had to pay extra for the breakfast. There was a great choice - possibly the best choice I've seen. The service was very good.

Minor complaints: the television was very dated looking, and while it didn't bother us at all, I have noticed that others have mentioned it on this site.

There was a leak in the tap which spurted water all over the sink area!

The room was not small - just smaller than what I was expecting from some of the pictures. There was only one window, and I was expecting two - again after seeing some website pictures. Mind you, we did have the travel cot in there, so this didn't help.

We were very cold in the night - was the air-con working?

The exterior looked a little grotty and there was building work right opposite - we could see this from our room, but not direct view. It didn't affect our stay/sleep.

No biscuits with the tea and coffee!

SCARBOROUGH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

this Hotel is in Prime Location in Leeds City centre and has recently been subject to a refurb. The room was great apart from the plumbing which was knocking on and off for hours. we have stayed here before so I will put that down top one of those things.
The staff were excellent and a credit to the hotel. Breakfast although a buffet was great as you can order fresh eggs anyway you like. The choice is very large my only gripe being the toaster. Come on Park Plaza customers toasting your own bread, yes in a budget chain but not in a Park Plaza.
All in All would definitely stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter from Street noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Every bedroom has been refurbished in the last year, I will however look intyo the comments about the plumbing.
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Visited the Park Plaza this weekend. I was booked in for a family wedding and as a result had been offered a reduced room rate which included breakfast.

Generally my visit was very positive. Staff in reception were very helpful. There was a slight mix up with rooms, and I was given a double rather than twin bedroom but a quick trip back down to reception this was promptly fixed and an apology given.

The rooms were spacious and pretty well appointed, and in good condition overall. Everything was clean.

The location of the hotel was excellent - only a few minutes walk from the train station, and only a few minutes walk from city centre shopping. Additionally the hotel has an arrangement with the nearby Q-Park parking lot which reduces the price down to £12/day for parking.

I was also very impressed with the inclusive breakfast. Not only was the dining room very spacious, but the selection of food and drink on offer was excellent.. I've visited my fair share of hotels this year and have to say this seemed to offer the best choice yet. I opted for toast (not feeling too hungry thanks to a hangover!) but other people in my party enjoyed full english breakfasts and a pot of tea both of which were given the thumbs up. There was a full continental breakfast range available, cereals, croissants, a good selection of juices and hot drinks, etc.

My only gripe was that the hotel is next to several building projects and I was quite dismayed to hear the builders start work on the site outside our hotel window at 7am on a Sunday. Couple that with a noisy water system (someone turned taps on at 4am in another room, and it sounded like someone playing a tuba!) and police intervening in some rather lively action in the street soon after, I didn't exactly have a great nights sleep. I'd consider earplugs essential for a future visit, but this is often the case with city centre locations!

Otherwise this is an excellent hotel and I would return here again without question.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback, we are in the city centre so background noise can occur, the new shopping centre is coming towards the end of completion so these issue's will stop soon.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Me and my Boyfriend had a lovely time the staff were very welcoming and polite.
We loved the style of the bedroom and bathroom it was nice and modern.
We really enjoyed our stay and will be going back again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the comments and feedback.