“Disappointing”

The Fox & Grapes
Ranked #674 of 1,829 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The newly refurbished Fox & Grapes is a popular country pub, offering a food menu packed with tasty British favourites and a drinks range featuring a great range of ales. Whether you just want to relax by the real open fire or enjoy a three-course meal with friends and family, it's an ideal destination for all. We're situated on the busy A64 (York Road), just seven miles from Leeds City Centre.
York, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked a table to entertain our friends and was led to a table that was unclean and sticky but was set for the required 5.

I requested the table be cleaned and this was done but was still sticky so came to the conclusion it was the cleaning spray causing the problem.

We ordered a Fish Platter to share and instead of Tartar Sauce they put Chive and Cream Cheese (because they had run out of Tartar Sauce). NO ONE enquired as to how we found our meal.

My Fish Pie was just cream sauce and very little fish. The Mash Potato on top was just 'plonked' on and had sunk to the bottom. The vegetables were cold and the plate colder. We had to get our own condiments and cutlery. My wife's Steak and Ale Pie was attractively set in a crust pie which proved too hard and inedible, her vegetables were cold and the gravy was the only warm item. My colleague's steak was good, his wife's Chicken Melt was very dry so she used the gravy - yet still only managed to eat a bit. The youngster's meal was delivered without drnk nor dessert.

By this time I had given up complaining. The staff were on a different planet so clearly indifferent to our concerns. To her credit one femaale staff member showed a serious level of concern to try and appease us. Thank You!

Our 44th wedding anniversary will be one not remembered for having an excellent night out but for the opposite.

Just drive past if tempted they don't deserve your custom

• Visited August 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Don't get excited”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visited here for lunch for two.
There was obviously only one poor member of staff on, and even though it was a Tuesday afternoon it was quite busy. A lot of the problems we have were clearly due to the fact that they were understaffed! If they sorted this out they wouldn't have bad reviews! I'd like to mention that the gentleman who was serving was very friendly and we had no issues with him.

Sharing nachos for two: average. Not a lot of cheese. Disappointing compared to others we have had.

Sandwiches: although we both had different fillings (steak, chicken) the sandwiches (advertised as flat breads if I remember rightly) were much of the same. They were packed out with salad. I usually like this, don't get me wrong. But it was packed with wedges of ice berg lettuce and not much else. Disappointing!

The steak wasnt great quality but my chicken was very nice, covered in sour cream, BBQ sauce, cheese. It was all right but not ideal.

Due to the staffing problem our plates Were never collected. Nor were we offered deserts. I don't mind too much as we didn't want deserts but if I was a restaurant owner or manager and the staff weren't upselling then I'd be pretty disappointed.

Again I'd like to stress that the one member of staff (covering both the bar and the restaurant!!) was rushed off his feet so the fault doesn't lie with him.

I think there's a serious staffing issue and there needs to be some quality control with the food. I'd probably give it a go again as it wasnt terrible and I'd like to hope it was an off day because It seems like a nice place.

• Visited July 2013
Sussex
“Sadly, very mediocre”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It's not usually a good sign when restaurants have to do 50% price cutting promotions and in retrospect, we should have steered clear. The food was very ordinary: fish pie with more potato than fish, prawn and asparagus salad with minimal prawn / asparagus content, the only plus point being a decent steak. The interior of the pub is pleasant enough, but school-boy errors like having loud rock music blaring out in the dining area need addressing.

• Visited June 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The best salad ever”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Really nice setting, a proper old pub. The menu had a great choice of dishes. The staff where attentive and helpul. Our food arrived in good time and was delicious. The superfood salad with my steak was fantastic, the best ever. Prettty good value too. Nice choice of ales at the bar.

Visited June 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Food, Great Value, Give it Try”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

me and my partner passed this pub and thought lets give it a go, and i'm so pleased we did, the food was beautiful, lovely warm welcome and great service.
They had a deal 50% off mains which was a massive bonus but this did not affect the food they put out.
We eat at a lot of places and will defiantly going back here, I was blown away by the quality of the food really tasty and plenty of it.
They seem to have deals on food Mon-Fri so its really good value.
Beer garden out the back you really should give this place a try
Bev & Mark