“Not so KINGston Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Brighouse, England, United Kingdom
“Not so KINGston Hotel”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel was very hard to locate from the road. The sat nav knew where it was but the street was very difficult to spot while driving as it looked like a back alley. The sign for the Hotel is black and at least 15ft in the air so cant again be seen while driving. There was two of us and even the passenger couldn't see the sign. When we found the hotel it looked lovely from the outside and we were pleased with our choice. We were greeted at the door by a very polite man who took us to the reception/breakfast room to sign in. We opted for the room and breakfast package and paid acordingly. We had a dog which the man only charged us a minimum amount to stay aswell. We were then given our key and told that the room was downstairs but no offer to help with our bags was given. They told us our room number and pointed us in the right direction. When we entered the room we were pleased with how it looked at first. The room had a flat screen tv which worked fine and tea making facilities were there too. As we were attending a weddding we needed to get ready quickly and get off to Leeds town hall. Whilst getting ready we discovered that they provided a hair dryer which was a bonus but sadly there were 2 big mirrors in the room but the plugs were no where near so we couldn't use the hair dryer as we couldn't see to style our hair. The en-suite was small but functional to a degree as the toilet was too close to the sink and the shower door opened towards it aswell and if opened without noticing it would smash on the sink itself. The sink has a massive crack and should have been replaced. the grouting in the shower was poorly done and there was a loose tile by the door aswell. The trim around the floor tiles was higher than the tiles and was very painful when stubbing toes on it. The ceiling light wasn't screwed to the rose fully and the top of the wardrobe and mirrors hadn't seen a duster in a long time. The windows secondary glazing was broken and had cigerette ends in it so looked like it had been like that for quite some time. There were marks all over the walls which should have been washed or painted over. The theme of the room was trying to be moroccan but this failed badly. When we came back that evening from the wedding we were up all night as the bed was horrible to sleep on. It felt like the matress was very thin and the bedframe was very hard. When we got out of bed we went to make a cup of tea and the one of the UHT milk pods was sour and had curdled. We decided at this point to go for breakfast. When we entered the breakfast room we noticed that the seating was at a communal table which wouldn't have seated everyone if we all had come for breakfast together. The continental breakfast was on display and looked very appetising but appearances can be very deceptive as the juices and pastries were not fresh but supermarket basic range. We booked and was offered a cooked breakfast but again we were dissappointed as we were informed that they don't do sausages or bacon only eggs, hash browns, beans, mushrooms and tinned tomatoes. We were told on the phone that it was a full english breakfast but this was not the case. When we finally received our cooked breakfast it was flat cold and the eggs were well overcooked. The toast came after we had nearly finished and looked like it hadn't seen the toaster or grill. We went back to our room and left very dissappointed and we felt that we should have had more for what we had paid. Sadly our visit was marred by the hotel and we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday. Booked in late last minute. Having eventually found the hotel I was surprised to see what £30 pays for. Initial reaction was good with a nice and tidy parking area. The reception was clean and tidy as was the room I got. The bathroom was better than some considerably more expensive hotels Ive stayed at.
I didnt get a good look round the hotel or sampled the food because of time constraints but have to say if I needed a hotel in Leeds that isnt expensive I would definitely use the Kingston again.
Looking at previous reviews I agree that it is excellent for any people from out of town visiting the Leeds Arena.
RECOMMENDED

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Hibbileeds
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here, we went to see a band at the O2 Academy, this hotel was the perfect location as it was less than a mile away from the venue, upon arrival, we got greeted by the manager Who very kindly sign does in and offered to carry our luggage to our room, we was offered a key in case we came in later than the lock-up time, breakfast was 5 pounds per person extra which we took advantage of, The breakfast was very nice with plenty to choose from but my only problem was with the full English breakfast, there was no bacon, The rooms are quite spacious, there is a large TV, hairdryer mirrors shower, there is a few grubby marks that I noticed but as I'm from Derbyshire I'm don't really care.. I've been brought up to be a hard case not like the city pussies

• Stayed October 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked the Kingston because it was near the Leeds Arena but had difficulty finding the turn into the terrace, a short tree-lined lane of imposing early 19c houses, because it's off a busy road and surrounded by many new buildings (mostly university).

After circling a few times we arrived and were given a warm welcome including an offer of help with bags. We had a twin (two double beds) on the second floor with dormer windows which would have a great view over the city but for the tall trees outside. It was spacious, had spotless bed linen and towels and comfortable beds. Two small gripes - the shower was difficult to regulate (what strange shower isn't?) and there was no bedside lamp although the two sockets between the beds were very handy for chargers.

Although we pre-booked room only (£45 for a Saturday night), we decided on arrival to add breakfast. This turned out to be astonishing value at just £5 each, offering a variety of cereals, fresh and canned fruit, yoghurts, pastries, croissants and a freshly cooked full Yorkshire breakfast of bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans which would put some 5* places to shame. My friend asked for scrambled egg and a plate arrived with the eggs plus all the rest - when she said she didn't eat meat, it was whisked away and a fresh plate brought straight away. It was pleasant to sit at the one big dining table with four other guests and chat about the fabulous Leonard Cohen concert the night before.

There is a small lounge, with magazines and TV, adjoining the dining area and reception. There's limited car parking at the front of the hotel but the Arena car park, £5 a day, is just down the hill.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I wanted a hotel close to the new Leeds Arena and didn't want to pay a fortune. I had room 24 on the top floor at the front. The bed was clean with good white duvet and pillows. There were three pillows though I only used two, the bed was comfy and the pillows fine, unlike other reviews. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful - they let me use the house phone for no charge when I had a problem with my mobile, they drew me a map of how to get to the Arena (10 minutes' walk) and generally gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble. The shower was good, with plenty of hot water. Tea and coffee making was good, there was a hair dryer and basically good facilities for one night. Downsides were no bedside light - if I hadn't had a light on my Kindle I would had to have got out of bed to switch the main light off. Also, breakfast isn't served until 7.30am, which is ridiculously late for a city centre hotel like this. I had to leave at 6.45am to drive back to the Midlands, so missed out. However, it's very god value at £45 for one night, and if I was going to the Arena again I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was quiet, being at the top of the house and at the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have a room on the second floor and it was really noisy especially at night time.

Our shower had a crack and stains on the floor. .

The room was quite spacious but the bedding did not feel very clean, and had dust.

The room had the usual facilities for tea and coffee - there were coffee stains on the tray.

I think it is a great hotel and room - just needs a proper clean!

I think it is excellent value as it is 20 mins walk from the City Centre.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a basement room and it was very noisy. However, service was very good. Parking was a bit of an issue. However, price wise it's very good value. The room was clean and bathroom quite spacious. Location was good.

Room Tip: Don't get a basement room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple