“Location good for uni and centre. Hospitality weak.”
Review of The Kingston Hotel

The Kingston Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Haverhill, United Kingdom
“Location good for uni and centre. Hospitality weak.”
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I was there for my stepdaughters graduation. Alarm bells rang when they asked for cash up front. Room 2 basement and no natural light. One towel for a double and half a loo roll when we had arrived. No glass for water and no coffee/tea. Went to have a shower the next day - cold as the boiler had broke. It wasn't even explained until we complained. Did not try breakfast! Will not return.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank FelthamSuffolk_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2012

OK good, rooms at different prices but the idea of customer service is completely thrown out of the window. My friend lost her room keys, we got back to the hotel and could not get hold of any staff member. We got abused by the owner/manager when we could finally get hold of somebody and were asked to pay £25 on the spot at 3AM in the morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank John B
Hull
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I picked this hotel, along with a group of friends, due to its fantastic location. To start with the positives; Kingston Hotel is beautifully decorated, with private, off road parking (a huge advantage in Leeds).

Upon arrival I found the man at reception to be friendly enough. I'd booked a twin room and my friend would be joining me for the second night only. I explained this and paid for the room. A £5 breakfast was supposed to be optional, with a continental option available. I paid for mine and said my friend would sort herself out when she got here.

Bleary-eyed at 8am, I was disappointed to find that I was squashed on the only table in the hotel with six other guests. The continental option was cereal and cheap, cold toast, that I had to ask for several times. This was accompanied by 'no-frills' jam and cold coffee. No cheese, meat, fresh coffee or pastries (all of which I would expect for paying extra).

The next day I didn't bother with the breakfast and was told that I owed him money for the breakfast my friend didn't eat. I explained that we hadn't ordeded one for my friend, but he tried to insist that I pay for it, as the chef had apparently cooked it and became very rude.

My other friends that had also 'opted out' of the £5 breakfast, were also asked to pay for it when leaving in a fairly forceful manner.

There was a green safety light in every room - that was actually a very bright light bulb and it kept me awake all night. The shower ran freezing cold and then boiling hot.

All in all, what promised to be a lovely stay, turned sour very quickly.

Room Tip: A few of my friends were put in the basement rooms that smelt a bit damp. Get an upstairs room if po...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beanbag_beads
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel is externally beautiful. The sat nav took us to the rear if the hotel but once found its lovely it's off the main street so offroad parking the guy in the hotel obviously took a liking to my friend and upgraded our twin room to a twin with two doubles the rooms are very spacious plain but nice .. Beds are comfy and clean our bathroom light didn't work at first and we only had one large towel but he sorted it as soon as we told him the hotel is homely but has no bar or drink facility's but there is an off licence a 2 min walk away if that. The one staff member we have seen is very nice and friendly really happy with this hotel. My only grudge with this hotel is that the shower leeks and isn't that great. But other than that it's good. No post it notes on the doors and the doors lock fine like posted in other reviews. It may not be a 4 or 5 star venue but it's done us perfectly.

• Stayed May 2012
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2012

After reading the regulartraveller review I tried to cancel but too late so went ahead with booking, very aprehensive. Check in requested cash as credid card machine was not working, stayed in room 11, large and clean. Breakfast was not the best but acceptable for the price.
Room looked to have been refurbished recently as some signs of tile grouting not polished off but no problem, Final comment for £35 including breakfast, wifi and parking it is good value and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave1210
Newark on Trent
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Alarm bells started ringing almost immediately: we were asked for payment (in cash) upfront, which we obliged, but were having second thoughts almost as soon as we were shown to our room.

To be brief, the door to our room didn't lock properly - other people in our party had the same problem too, the shower didn't work and so we had to use the communal one, surfaces were either dusty, dirty or littered with fluff or hair, and the heat from a concealed radiator by the bed made the air very sticky.

The fact our room door didn't lock properly was no big deal to the man on reception at first, so we had to put our foot down. We asked to be moved but were told this wasn't possible. Post-it notes guide people to rooms and the smell of smoke in the lobby was reminiscent of my old student flat - as was the presence of a mattress behind a sofa in the dining room.

The £5 breakfast was laughable (bone cold toast and a tub of butter to share with other guests were two things that stood out) and did nothing to set us up for the day.

Yes, it was cheap, but we didn't get what we paid for. For even £10 each extra we could have stayed in a hotel 20 times more resplendent and that is exactly what we'll be doing in future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple