“Not worth full price” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Not worth full price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked this hotel because we needed somewhere cheap to stay after a friend's birthday. We booked through hotels.com and paid £56 for the room. For the money we paid, I think the hotel was ok but if I'd have paid the advertised rate of £159 I would have been very disappointed.

The check in and check out process was excellent and reception called us a taxi in the evening and let us know when it was outside. The free wifi was also a good touch. However, our room had hairs in the sink and the shower. Although the toilet looked clean it smelt of stale urine. At one point I was doing some sit ups and push ups in the room and the carpet had the same urine smell. The room was far too hot to sleep and adjusting the temperature seemed to take forever. The filter on the hair dryer was filthy so it kept over heating and cutting out.

If you're just after a budget place to sleep the the Novotel is a good option and it's location is also great. Just don't expect any luxury.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mathieu21, Manager at Novotel Leeds Centre, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback

I am available should you wish to speak direct. If you would like to please email myself at h3270-gm@accor.com.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
hartlepool, united kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights as I was attending a course in Leeds with work. At £87 per room per night (midweek prices) it’s not cheap – but then I suppose that can be expected for the city centre location. Location is excellent. Right in the centre and five minutes walk from the train station. The reception area is lovely: modern and spacious. When I checked in with my colleagues, there was an extremely friendly guy offering us free glasses of wine (I don’t think this is every night) but we all took advantage and check-in wasn’t too long a wait.

The rooms are a little tired given the standard of the rest of the hotel. I’ve stayed in the Novotel Manchester before and I remember the room being a lot nicer. Stained carpet, lumpy bed and generally worn décor. It was quiet though, a decent temperature and with a nice bathroom so I didn’t make an issue of it. Breakfast was great, buffet style, tons of choice and good service. No complaints there at all, in fact all the staff I came across were really friendly.

One of my colleagues did have a problem with his room and complained when we checking out. He was dealt with quickly and efficiently and given a reduction in the room rate.

I’d stay here again if I’m ever in Leeds again, but to be honest I’d probably have a shop about first to see if I could get anything better for a similar price. The public areas of the hotel are great, but the rooms are in definite need of an upgrade.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank suzHartlepool
Mathieu21, Manager at Novotel Leeds Centre, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to leave feedback.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the room to share with the relevant departments.

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Location is perfect, just around the corner from Leeds train station and within walking distance to all bars and restaurant in the centre of Leeds.
Check in was ok, I advised I had not stayed at the hotel before, however I was not shown which direction the lifts were in, explained where the gym was or advise where breakfast was strived. Luckily I knew to as for a card to access the gym after a colleague told me.
Room was ok. Few stains on carpet etc but nothing over the usual wear and tear...all rooms were very warm even with thermostat controls.
Gym in good, compact but has everything you will need for a good work out.
The bar is nice, spacious and modern, as is reception area.
Breakfast was lovely, but serve yourself, nothing you would be missing from it, great selection.
Reception was a lot kore helpful on check out & arranged a taxi.
Price was very reasonable for a city centre hotel including breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, I have noted your comments that will be shared with the Department Managers.

Mosta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Spent 2 nights on a business trip in this centrally located hotel. Situated very close to the train station, yet in a very quiet area. Room was very spacious and clean, with very good free wi-fi connection. Service was excellent and breakfast quite good. Will visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Everything about this trip was perfect - hotel reception, food, bar and a superb executive room.
From booking in, which took seconds, to checking out which was swift and efficient, everything was as it always should be - first-class.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Oswaldtwistle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Good location near the train station, 5 mins walk to the city centre, clean and comfortable room with usual facilities.
Friendly staff with bar and restaurant although did not try as we prefer to eat out.
Booked cheap deal for pre-paid room only but breakfast considerable extra costs!
Overall decent value for the money paid and suited our purpose for overnight stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time out to leave feedback.

I was happy you decided to stayed with us for your weekend away. We will be happy to welcome you back in the future.