“Gorgeous food, pity about the service”
Review of Brown Cow & Dragon - CLOSED

Brown Cow & Dragon
Cuisines: Thai, British
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
West Yorkshire
“Gorgeous food, pity about the service”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My dad was staying at the Premier Inn and we met for food in the Thai restaurant next door. The bar area had a nice atmosphere and the food looked great but we decided to head upstairs to the restaurant.

Firstly it was freezing, I was glad I was wearing a jumper. Once we got seated we had to wait 20 mins before we were asked for drinks and then another 20 before the drinks arrived. The food order was taken and took about 40 mins to arrive. The food itself was gorgeous, very impressed. I am only baffled at the time it took to cook as we didn't order anything too complicated and it wasn't that busy.

Trying to catch the eye of the waitresses to ask for the bill was comical....I am sure they deliberately didn't make eye contact. In the end we had to go to the bar to ask for the bill as I was shivering with the cold and couldn't last much longer.

Overall the food was great but the service left a lot to be desired. I think a lot of this was down to not enough staff, only 2 waitresses.

I think we would go back because of the food but be prepared for a wait and wrap up warm!

• Visited October 2013
Chris L, General Manager at Brown Cow & Dragon, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your meal but disappointed that we didn't achieve or exceed your expectations during your visit. For this I can only apologise. With regards our central heating, the system is fully operational and all areas are set at 70 degrees.
Regards

Chris

Leeds, United Kingdom
“RUDE STAFF ATTITUDE PROBLEMS NO BEER MATS EXPENSIVE DRINKS”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Rude staff no training in customer relations or respect for older customers, The staff have been rude a few times to myself and friends. The landlord never seems to be there to complain to.
The place often runs out of glasses larger and bottled drinks on saturday nights, You are then expected to drink out of plastic glasses, I drink peroni and at nearly £4 a pint I want the proper glass with the widgit.
The other night they had the usual no glasses so I had a Barcadi & coke, When I mentioned I could not taste any Bacardi I was eventually told "If you don`t like it then leave". I will be contacting trading standards the brewery and whoever else I think needs to be contacted mainly because I don`t expect a jumped up kid probably still in his teens giving me lip when I have been going in there for about 35 years before he was born , The next day I tried to contact the landlord, but ...you guessed it..not available
We are in our 50`s and have been going in the Brown cow for about 35 years, previous landlords have always been behind the bar and the staff respectful ,
Bring back Simo

1 Thank David N
Chris L, General Manager at Brown Cow & Dragon, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
I am on annual leave at present but return to the business on Monday 4th November . You're more than welcome to call in Monday daytime when I am more than willing to discuss any issues you may have.
Leeds England
“Tired pub, not very inviting”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went Monday lunch time-reasonable number of choices Thai and English which makes a change. Only hope that the Thai was better than the English-the best thing about the pie was the peas!! Offered a sauce bottle with gunge around the neck-changed when I pointed it out but it shouldn't really ever have been presented. Toilets aged and in need of a re-furb. All in all not a good experience

• Visited October 2013
Chris L, General Manager at Brown Cow & Dragon, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to register your comments. I can only apologise that you didn't enjoy your visit with us on this occasion.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great pub,don't eat”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Great pub&atmosphere! The food however was awful, had sirloin steak, was really dry,prob kept warm in an oven,chips were just oven baked, could have done far better myself at home! Shame because the pub itself is nice!

• Visited September 2013
Chris L, General Manager at Brown Cow & Dragon, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the pub but I'm disappointed your meal was not to yours or my expectation. I can only apologise.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“On the downward slide”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at the adjacent Premier Inn a year ago and for a week in September 2013. In that time the standards of the inn have fallen further from below average to extremely poor.
We dined in the Thai restaurant last week but the meal and service was well below the standard of the previous year. We did not return for a second meal.
The real problem is the so called "Premier Breakfast". The eating area is drab and requiresa graet deal of attention to bring it up to a reasonable standard.It was difficult to find clean juice glasses (some still had lipstick on them) and great care was needed in selecting the coffee mugs as many were badly stained inside. The food was, at best, mediocre. The bacon was often over cooked and the mushrooms were inedible, having been cooked in far too much salt. It was not up to the standards of a normal Premier breakfast and we suspected that the pub was buying in its own cheap food supplies rather than using the higher quality Premier ingredients.
If this is the normal Orchid Pub Group standard of food and service then its sits very uncomfortably with the Premier image and standards.
Readers may think from this report that the writer is unduly fussy but this is not the case - in the past 10 years I have only provided a bad report on one other eating establishment and that restaurant went out of business within a year of my report.

• Visited September 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we haven't achieved or exceeded your expectations during your recent visit. I would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns further so I would be grateful if you could contact me on 01132646112.