“Awful!”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
“Awful!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Food strewn all over the floor, filthy tables everywhere you look, people giving up and walking out. No, it's not a dodgy greasy spoon (apparently), it's Horsforth Pizza Express.

Terrible service by staff running round like headless chickens. ..and this was only a very small takeaway order. Stood for 20 mins to witness several couples waiting for tables to then be ignored by staff (sensibly these people gave up and left). I had to go back in as they left a part of my order, and now I'm home Can see it's still incorrect.

To the management:
it's pizza. It's sunday night and your restaurant is pretty empty.
How the heck can it be THIS BAD?
Please sort it out. There's really no excuse that would warrant such terrible service.

In the meantime, people of horsforth...I recommend you do what I'm going to, and nip down to the italian takeaway on New Road Side for pizza in the future (they've reopened recently and are lovely).

Boo, hiss indeed.

• Visited April 2013

“Never Again”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked a party of 17 in on the 20th March as it is local and thought it might be ok. I wasnt impressed at all - the meatball starter was nice but the Pizza was below standard i feel - the crust was so hard it broke my tooth.
The bill ws nearly £ 300 for seventeen of us which i thought was quite expensive for what it was - staff were friendly and service was good - pity the food was a let down.
The rest of the party considered it the same

Never again sorry

• Visited March 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A fantastic lunch experience”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I took my 8 year old daughter for an Easter holiday lunchtime treat. We had not booked and we advised the waitress we had an Orange Wednesday code, which was no problem. The manager gave us a choice of tables and we chose to sit near the pizza preparation area. The manager and chef prepared a tasting plate for my daughter, with anchovies, capers, sun dried tomatoes, red peppers and toasted almonds. She was encouraged to watch the preparation of the food and the chef was friendly and informative. The service was excellent, the menu items explained when queried and advice given on size of drinks ordered. The food, dough balls and classic pizza, margharita and four seasons were cooked to perfection. The bill including drinks and before discount was £34. The restaurant is about 15 months old, it is fresh, clean and lovely atmosphere. The service and food were fantastic and would not hesitate to return.

• Visited April 2013
“Not going back”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Portions were small, kids portions were a joke, pizza bases were soo thin that they were hard instea of crispy. My daugther had a kids menu. I felt so sorry for her when i saw the size of her portions. The kids chocolate fudge cake would insult a mouse. My son had the best idea - he asked if instead of getting a desert, he could just have the money and get a pot of Ben and Jerrys from Tesco Express on the way home. Smart move - I wish I'd done the same!
The staff showed us to our table, took our order and gave us the bill. No other contact all evening. No check to see if the food was ok, no 'thank you' or 'hope to see you again' when we left, nothing. Fortunately we had brought a voucher with us because there was no way I would have paid the full price.

• Visited February 2013
Liverpool
“Staggeringly incompetent service”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Fawlty Towers of the Pizza Express world. I live 30 seconds from the restaurant and really wish the management would get a grip. You wait an age to be seen when you walk in, the staff dash around with rabbit in the headlight glares desperately hoping one of the others will tend to you. My last three trips have involved the wrong pizza, the wrong toppings, items on the bill from the table next to us and some duff information about Pizza Express no longer serving tuna. And it's not that we've been unlucky, you see similar things happening at tables around you. I do actually feel a bit sorry for the staff....the system, if that's what you can call it, that the manager has in place clearly isn't working. It must be an horrific place to work. Time to go back to basics: stick someone on front of house, stick someone on coffees and deserts, let the others get on with the bog standard stuff. I'm ashamed to say my wife and I aren't voting with our feet, we keep coming back because we really like Pizza Express pizzas and the chefs in Horsforth are doing their job perfectly well, though we have started to get takeaway because I get so frustrated with the sheer incompetence on display. I fear nothing will change because it's always busy, and Pizza Express HQ will see the money rolling in. The sad fact is the local independent across the road isn't up to much so they haven't got any great competition.

Anyway, rant over, I'm off to copy and paste to Pizza Express' website. If the manager in Horsforth happens to stumble across this (though I note that there's no feedback on the other shambolic reviews on here) it's nothing personal......I just want some stressless dough balls and a bottle of Peroni on a Friday night. Surely it's not too much to ask.

• Visited February 2013