“Fantastic experience”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I attended one of the Platinum Dining Events which was hosted by Michelin Starred Chef of the Burlington Restaurant, Devonshire Arms. Having said that, the majority of the staff on duty were the actual staff usually working at the Food Academy, as I have been here before.

I Chose the tasting menu which was absolutely awesome. Everything about the evening was spot on. Service, presentation, food. My favourite(s) were the "Gin and Tonic" desert, the Goosenargh Duck and Foie Gras with pickled Blackberry, the Orkney Scallop with Celeriac & Truffle and the Butternut with Hen's Yolk. Having said all that it really was quite difficult to choose as all were delicious.

Downside of this place is it is only open usually between 10-4. Look out for these special events on an evening as well as they are not to be missed. Well worth a visit during the day, the grazing plates they offer are all very good and reasonably priced. Their signature dish of Duck Egg and Soldiers is a must for desert.

Also worth mentioning is the lovely view over the roof tops of Leeds City Centre.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Julia655

Newcastle
“Fab food great value”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stumbled on this restaurant and was most impressed. The food was gorgeous and very well presented and very reasonably priced for what you got. Enjoyed it so much, returned the next week and had just as good experience second time. The more people hear about this place the better in my opinion it will get, as the atmosphere will improve. Great menu options too.

1 Thank l238284
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Nice place nice food and worth a visit!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I had not been up to the 3rd floor restaurant since the departure of Anthony's at Flannels so was a little bit wary of what I would find.

It all looked very familiar in it's layout with a few new works of art on the wall. The menu however was completly different. I ordered the 58°c Cooked Spiced Lamb Burger as I was quite hungary and a sandwhich seemed too light an offering to fill the gap. It was a bit of a wait for it to arrive, presumably to get the thermometer to read 58° precisly. "Its gone to 57°- quick back to the kitchen with it."
I did indicate to a member of staff I had been waiting 30 minutes and was told it was cooked from fresh and therefore required a cooking time of 15 - 20 minutes. Not sure what accounted for the other 10 minutes, that remains a mystery.
Despite the wait when it arrived it looked very well presented and was a feast for the eyes. and when tasted it was also a feast for the tastebuds. It was indeed spicy but not in an unpleasant way. Flavour with bite sums it up . Both the coleslaw and cucumber yogurt accompaniment provided the right contrast to make it a really well balanced tasty dish. It also came with parsnip crisps in their own little bag. However I am glad I ordered a side portion of chips as it added the additional substance to banish my hunger. I am not sure the chrisps would have done it on thier own.
All in all a very good place for lunch and would go again to try other things from the menu that looked good when delivered to other tables during our lunch.

• Visited July 2012
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Two cups of tea and meze, great lunch place”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Took my wife here for lunch overlooking Leeds. She loved it enough to put it on her bucket list of places to take friends when shopping on days off

• Visited July 2012
Leeds
“Delicious afternoon tea!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I had wanted to try here for ages but have always been put off by it being above Flannels - a place I really dislike.
I can strongly recommend that you are not put off by the snooty shop staff, just head up to the third floor for a real treat!

The Food Academy provides a great menu in lovely surroundings, minus the heaving crowds of the chain restaurant nasties.

I agree that the service can be a wee bit nervous at times (they are trainees), but it is attentive and polite. We had a delicious afternoon tea, and had I not been driving would have supplemented this with a very reasonably priced glass of fizzy stuff!

If anything could have been better the mini loaf cakes could have been a little lighter but they were tasty nonetheless. The duck egg did not disappoint! We were very over excited when it arrived and loved the little sprinkle of raspberry and lemon sugar and shortbread soldier! The mezze plates that were going out to other diners looked divine.

I do appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion but this is NOT Anthony's. It is a smashing bunch of catering students and their mentors doing a cracking job in the centre of town. I feel some of the reviewers have kind of missed the point. I really hope this place thrives and goes from strength to strength - maybe doing a couple of evenings a week? What was particularly nice for us was seeing an ex-student really enjoying her work placement. That is what the Food Academy is about.

Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank LittleBlackClio
, Commercial Manager at The Food Academy, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments and constructive feedback, which of course we will act upon