“Spice Quarter Halton”

Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Spice Quarter Halton”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This one of the best Indian restaurants for food, nice surroundings the staff are very polite, service superb, and the starters & main courses are excellent, and a good size as well, it may seem quiet at times but don't be put off by this, this is a quality restaurant

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank kevfaz

Yorkshire
“Nice friendly restaurant”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We did not plan to go here but our usual Indian restaurant was full and we had noticed that this had recently changed hands and been refurbished so we thought we would give it a go. We were nicely surprised, the refurb was a great improvement it is now a comfortable place to have a great meal. The menu is small but we still found something we both liked and the food was lovely. The waiter was friendly and we did not feel rushed. Slightly more expensive than other restaurants in this area hope it has not priced itself to high to succeed. We will return.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank debsunlover
waqar k, Manager at The Spice Quarter, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks alot for the positive feedback ! All suggestions are more than welcome!
Leeds, UK
“Possiby the best Indian restaurant in Leeds 15”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is now known as Spice Quarter after a refurb in November. The surroundings are lovely with a nice atmosphere and warm welcome. The service was excellent and choice of dishes on the menu vast.
We went for a mixed grill starter which could have served two if not a family of four and everything on it was delicious. We also had the samosas which were very tasty.
The main courses we ordered were plentiful and tasty having ordered a lamb balti and lamb Karahi. At £44 for the whole bill including a bottle of red wine it proved excellent value for money.
I really hope this place does well, they have everything right and it's a shame that it does seem quiet a lot of the time but please don't let this put you off.
We will definitely return.

3 Thank Laura300382
Yorkshire
“Not bad first impressions.......”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I had to think for a while on what overall rating I would give this restaurant, some elements were outstanding some not so good……

Let’s start with the booking process, we like others had a Groupon deal, and upon mentioning the Groupon we were pressured into arriving earlier than planned I asked for a table midweek at about 7pm we were asked to get there by 5.30. When I explained we wouldn’t be able to make it by 5.30 we were offered times at 30 min intervals until we settled at 6.30. Quite why the need to do this escapes me because the restaurant was empty at 6.30 and still empty by 7pm when we were still dining.

So first impressions were not going well, upon arrival we were greeted well and the terms of the Groupon deal were explained fully and politely. The waiter (only one midweek) came over to have a chat while we were browsing the menu. He was very polite and very eager to help.

The restaurant is spacious, clean and tidy. Although the elaborate up market design is somewhat at odds, with the paper plasticy table cloths.

I ordered a Chicken Tikka Phall (off menu) which was not a problem and he asked me how I liked it cooked and even the type of base curry to use, Madras or Rogan Josh etc.etc..

The starter came sizzling hot and portion size was excellent, offered very good value and didn’t seem to have been cut down because of the Groupon deal, this was a first for us. If I really had to complain I would say that the Chicken Tikka was a little dry and overcooked, but on the whole a good starter.

The main dish arrived and the waiter had brought some fresh green bullet chillies to accompany my Phall explaining that there had been a debate in the kitchen as to whether or not to use fresh chillies in my meal the waiter said Yes, the chef said No. It was nice to have a bit of banter with the waiter and didn’t find this overbearing.

The meal itself was cooked well with plenty of flavour, again the chicken slightly overcooked. Portion size again was very good. Was it the best Phall I’ve ever eaten? Certainly not, but it certainly wasn’t the worst and the eagerness shown to cook the dish to my specific taste was admirable.

On to a few negatives, like other reviewers, lacks a good local pub to have pre-dinner drinks, obviously not the restaurants fault. There were a few comedy moments, when the waiter left the kitchen the Indian restaurant music increased to night club level, we could hardly hold a conversation, the waiter entered the kitchen and the music went back to background again he left and it was Bollywood on acid again, this scenario occurred several times. Quite comical and funny, made our day but could have upset quite a few diners in the restaurant.

The menu itself is limited, no beef dishes- shows some authenticity, but otherwise very predictable and not very exciting, although typical of a British Indian restaurant, I would like to see some authenticity on the menu, not to all tastes granted but if it can be found in abundance in Bradford why can’t we have some authentic Indian cuisine in Leeds? Yes I know Phall is not a genuine Indian dish but Thali, Dosa, and Chole are but absent from the menu.

To sum up a good restaurant trying it’s hardest to succeed offering good value and good service. I will be back without a Groupon and Yes please the waiter was right, fresh chillies in my Phall please!

• Visited May 2012
Morley
“Tabaq Restaurant, Halton, Leeds”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I bought a Groupon voucher for this restaurant, as it is close to my partner's home. The downsides first, which do not relate to the restaurant itself:

there are no reasonable pubs close by where you could have a pre or post meal drink. The nearest is the Brown Cow and Dragon roadhouse at Whitkirk, a few minutes drive away.

The Tabaq is well laid out with plenty of space. We booked for a Friday evening. We had purchased a Groupon voucher and informed the restaurant when the table was booked, and also on arrival. As a previous reviewer stated, we expected reduced portions, but this was definitely not the case. The terms of the deal were explained by the very efficient waiter.

The starter was served sizzling hot and was excellent! We both chose the chicken tikka, after having poppadums and pickles as a pre-starter.
This was quickly followed up with our main dishes, both served in hot metal servers on wooden 'trays'.

The food was as good as any indian restaurant I have been to. The service was also excellent.

I would happily recommend this restaurant for lovely food and service.

• Visited May 2012