“Excellent”

La Besi
Ranked #488 of 1,805 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I go to the University and have walked past this restaurant many times and never thought to go in. However it was my boyfriends birthday last night and he wanted to try something new and after reading a couple of good reviews thought we'd give it a try.

A really cute little Italian restaurant, there are a few areas of seating outside under a canopy which I can imagine are very popular during the day in summer. Inside it is quite small, probably seating perhaps 4-6 couples and about 4 tables of four (however last night there was a large party taking up a whole side of the restaurant so there were 3 tables of 2 and 2 tables of 4 available.
The menu was really extensive and full of authentic Italian meals. At least 10-15 starters to choose from, around 10 pizzas, around 15 pasta dishes, 5 varieties of salads and around 10 'main meals' including chicken, steak, seafood etc.
We both had a starter (both opting for the breadcrumbed buffalo mozzarella with a tomato sauce), and a pizza. You could tell that the pizza dough and toppings were fresh, and they were big portions too. I had the Pollo Calzone (folded pizza with chicken, spinach, mozzarella and garlic oil) and my boyfriend had the Al Capone (Parma ham, pepperoni and salami), delicious. We were offered the desert menus and were informed by the waitress that the tiramisu and the creme caramel were homemade. There were around 8 deserts to choose from and all looked delicious however we were too full to get anything else. Would definitely try one next time though!

The service was fantastic too. There were only two members of staff waiting on all the tables (which were all full including the large party) and not once did we feel ignored. Our food came out swiftly too. Extremely friendly, and when we were given the bill we were even given a shot of limoncello each which was a lovely touch.

For two starters, two mains and one soft drink (it is an unlicensed place so taking your own alcohol works out much cheaper too) the whole bill came to only £30, which I though was more than reasonable for a restaurant in town that served such nice, big portioned food.

Definitely our new favourite place. We will be returning.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Amyhaggar90

Ulm, Germany
“great startes, cheap, nice people”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My partner and me have just been there (after I read the previous comments about this restaurant) and although it is a Saturday night, nothing really was going on in that small neat restaurant. 5 guests and one take away in total. We had 2 softdrinks, 3 starters, 2 mains and 1 cappuccino and paid 35 pounds, so it´s really cheap.
We would recommend the goats cheese with honey and the mushrooms in a delicious wine sauce as starters. The antipasto plate was ok but nothing special. The tagliatelle with salmon were good and they were not grasping with the fish. The pizza was ok, the crust was crispy and fluffy, like Italian pizza should be. The service was nice and fast. We would totally recommend this place

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank rosaobscura
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent food Excellent Service”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I hadn't planned to eat out but was hungry and was feeling too lazy to cook, so I went to La Besi for the first time as it is local and fairly cheap. I expected a cheap poor student hangout in all honesty, but I was really surprised at how nice it was. The staff were helpful and friendly and you could tell it was an authentic Italian family run business. The garlic bread with cheese was amazing - I know you can get g b with cheese at most restaurants but this was one of the best I've ever had. And the same goes for the mushroom starter and pasta dishes we had - nothing mega original but traditional Italian food done really well. All the dishes seemed fresh and full of flavour.

Very impressed and will be back to this little local gem of a restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JenniferLeeds
Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Visited Leeds for a hen night and wanted a good Italian meal not a chain, this restaurant is homely and relaxed and the food was lovely, service quick and you can bring your own wine. Don't be put off its slightly out of town worth a visit especially for a group of friends - really warm and welcoming staff.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank K11MYM
Leeds
“Ace - great service, bring your own, good food”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My partner and I, and her family have been here probably over 10 times now. The owners and waiters know us by face and are always happy to see us back, which is really nice.

It's got a great casual atmosphere and it's small enough to have instant access to the waiters - who are a set of smiley charming Italian guys. It's bring your own, and they are more than happy to provide chilled wine holder things if you bring white, rose or bubbly, which we do regularly (there's an okay offy just over the road that sell bubbly and other wines).

I usually go for pizza here, although their pasta and fish dishes always go down well with other members of our party. The pizza is good - thin crust - with a large variety of toppings etc.

The thing I love from this place are the starters, which are excellent! The goats cheese filo pastry parcels with honey on are one of my favourites.

If you go out regularly then this place should definitely be on your list of places to go - it's a great option for a cheap restaurant that you enjoy going back to again and again with friends, family and loved ones.

• Visited October 2011