“Not as good as I expected”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as I expected”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

As a gold elite member of goldpoints plus, i have stayed at many Radisson Blu (or SAS) but I have to admit this wasnt the best, I was given a room which I would describe as travel lodge standard (a bed for the night with no frills) it was clean but nothing special

The breakfast was terrible, ok we didnt eat until 9.30am but for £17.00 I still expect top quality not overcooked food left on a heater.

Would I stay again......sadly no

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank travelalot064

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
London
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My husband and I had booked to stay here with friends. I had booked the two rooms on line about 2 months ago and received a confirmation e-mail. I telephoned a few weeks ago and changed the two nights to one only. Upon arrival (our friends caught the earlier train) we were told that we had no room reservation and that there was a "no show" for the night before. I showed the receptionist the confirmation e-mail with ALL OUR REQUESTS confirmed and he eventually showed us to our room! It was small with a large pillar at the foot of the bed which meant trying to avoid it in the middle of the night! We left for dinner and on returning, found a "BUSINESS CLASS" sign which had been stuck with bluetack above the room number! We assumed that builders had been in whilst we were out to extend the size of the room and bed and we had been given the upgrade requested! The duty Manageress was most apologetic the next morning but our week-end was ruined and we will not be returning!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I stayed here with business colleagues on a 1 night stay in Leeds. The hotel is in a nice central location. There is an NCP car park close by and the Hotel give you a discount voucher to redeem so it’s not that expensive we paid £6.90 for overnight parking. There is no on site gym but one close by, but to use this it costs £5. This is not clear on the hotels web site. The breakfast room was very small and unable to cope with the morning demand. We ate breakfast on the sofas in the bar! The room was very nice, modern clean and comfortable. A safe is provided for your valuables in the room. There is air conditioning in the rooms to keep the temperature right. The room was nice and quiet, quite big and very comfortable with all the expected services, desk, decent size bed, etc. The bathroom was again very nice and functional, very modern and clean. Overall I thought this was a very nice hotel and would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Hessle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My fiance and I like to eat at Bibi's restaurant so we usually stay over because the distance to travel from where we live. As a result, I'm in a good position to be able to compare like for like in Leeds hotels as we have stayed in most of them. We always stay Saturday night so can compare leisure rates.
This is one of the hotels we had not stayed in previously so eager to try it out. From the outside it has always looked a magnificent building and presents itself to be something rather grand. It actually isn't.
Once inside you realise just how small this hotel actually is. But that's not a problem in itself as some of the best places I have ever stayed in have been smaller establishments.
Firstly, as with most Leeds hotels, you have to pay for car parking in 'The Light' which is a discounted £15 per night with the voucher from reception.
Check in was easy and the chap was pleasant. As usual I was discriminated against because I always use a Debit Card instead of a credit card. That raised an eyebrow and a negative comment which wasn't welcomed by me. When will hotels bring themselves into the new world where people have these types of cards?!
Anyway, once up into our room I realised why some people have made the comments they have in previous reports. Considering this room was £95 B&B, it was about half the size of that we got when we stayed at the Marriott. It also had some clips where the mirror *used* to be hanging on the wall. I was also amazed to see the tiniest television ever in a hotel room. My partner and I laughed at its size.
The room was also an unusual shape - I really can't fathom that out even now having thought about it. It's just bizarre.
Then the low point - service in the bar. When we arrived the staff seemed to be waiting on tables so we just assumed that we would be next. I'm not snobby - I'll go to get drinks from the bar if that's how it's done but it didn't appear that way. Anyway, one of the guests seemed to know the bar attendant so all service stopped whilst she had a chat and a laugh with him. In the end, after 20 minutes (no joke), we left and headed out to Bibi's with a bit of a sour taste regarding this.
In the morning we took breakfast in the hotel which was delicious. The restaurant isn't that big so we were seated in the bar to have breakfast.
So, overall. The receptionists are brilliant, the bar staff not so. The rooms are ok - the themes idea is great but the rooms are just too small and weirdly shaped. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I came here because I was on a training course. I booked the Radisson Hotel specifically because it had a pool and gave a good advance rate (I had £66/night with the Friends and Family Carlson deal... just search for that on google) which included breakfast. Some comments:

- I was a bit dissapointed that the room rate did not include use of the pool. There was nothing on the website to suggest that it cost £5 extra. I did go for a swim, and the pool was good, although bizarrely poorly catered for for hotel customers (when I asked at reception if I could borrow a padlock to use on the lockers, I was looked at rather bemusedly, and strangely, they didn't have any keys with safety pins/clippers on, so had to find a flowerpot on the pool side in which to hide my key!)

- The room was ENORMOUS. Two big armchairs, a nice desk, and lots of space. A bit odd looking over an internal courtyard, and I think, during the day, that the ventilation system picked up a little bit of a smell from the kitchen. I mean this wasn't terrible and as soon as I put the fan on high for a while it cleared up, but just worth commenting on.

- Speaker from the TV in the Bathroom - an excellent idea

- Bathroom very smart and good

- Free wifi was very helpful

- Bed was also enormous and very comfortable

- Why do hotels never provide biscuits any more in the room?

- Breakfast was excellent (buffet style, all you can eat), although a small point - I did order waffles with maple syrup on one day; I'm sure the syrup provided was golden syrup, not maple syrup. But that's not going to affect my score!

- All in all very happy with the stay and would recommend, although a few bits of attention to detail (e.g. the pool) would have made the stay even better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel before (in a high tech room), over a year ago. However, my recent stay was a little different. The reception and bar area is great. Bright and clean. The staff on reception and in the bar were lovely. The room was a good size, however a very very odd layout (this time I had an Italian Room - I have no idea what was Italian about it to be honest). The floor tiling just looked a bit odd. I think the bedrooms were just in need of a facelift and an overhaul.

I thought the room was generally ok until I dropped my phone down the side of the bed and found and empty condom packet.

For me it was great value. I got it for £47 with goldplus points. So, I would likely stay here again but I wouldn't pay much more and I would try to avoid looking under/behind the bed.. It would also be nice to have a minbar (which they appear to have emptied before I arrived).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I booked this room along with 3 other rooms for members of my family. All the rooms were booked at the same time but we were all put on different floors. I also went into other rooms and the size varied no end. My room was fairly small whilst the others were much larger and included more storage space. Considering I had paid the same rate for all rooms I felt this was unfair as it wasn't even a small difference.

The location is great as it is central and not too far from the train station. You also receive lower rates on parking in the Light which is helpful.

Overall I would say there is nothing amazing about the hotel apart from the location. I must admit it was clean but I felt certain rooms were over priced and service from the staff wasn't amazing and often slow.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo