“Probably wouldn't stay again”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

If room 209 is a Business class room i'll eat my hat. I've never written a review while still in a room but, I'm very disappointed with this one, advertised as 30sq ft, all I can say is god help anyone that gets a standard room at 20sq ft. Check in was a bit of a mess with people pushing in the queue to be seen. The lady who checked in before me to a Standard room was given all sorts of options, shower, bath, view etc...I was told that was the only room there was available, even though I'd booked the more expensive Business Class room, I asked for a high floor and got told floor 2 out of 6 was the highest I could have.
The room itself is clean with everything you would need, the decor is a bit garish and definitely not like the Business Class rooms on the Internet. The bath room is old, clean but just no wow, bog standard

• Stayed: April 2014
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. The size of our rooms do vary due to the building being old; however I would like to apologise that you were not satisfied with room 209.

On your next visit please contact me directly via email Valerie.donaldson@radissonblu.com and I will ensure that a larger business class room on the 6th floor is allocated to you.

reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,826)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night city break here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Iron in our room was broken so I rang down for a new one and it was brought up within 2 minutes of the call. The ice machine on our floor was not working but again I received my ice bucket promptly when I asked for it. Spacious room but old decorflair, needs to be modernised but it was still a nice comfy bed. The noise outside was a bit loud on night times but that was expected as it was a City Centre location beside bars and clubs. The breakfast buffet was VERY expensive in my eye's, especially when there is so much choice in the shopping mall attached to the hotel. I would recommend Cafe Rouge for breakfast. The virgin Active health club is worth a trip for the use of the sauna, steam room, jacuzzis and pool, this was only £6 and a nice way to chill out. Overall a Very clean and tidy hotel with friendly staff and a great location. Will definitely return next time I'm in Leeds.

Room Tip: Don't have breakfast in the hotel - Very expensive (£24 each if I remember correctly). There'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the team.

On your next visit if you want to try our breakfast we offer a discounted rate of £11 per person when purchased with reception on check in.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

One of the very best hotels I have ever stayed at. The location is brilliant for theatres and shopping. Rooms are modern, clean and spacious. Nothing to dislike. Room service breakfast was brilliant value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Lovely hotel modern room. Our room was positioned at the back which looks out onto the light complex. Therefore there is no fresh air and windows will not open. The air conditioning seemed non existent so we complained. The receptionist said she would send someone up to fix it. When we came back later in the day we found there was no difference. We couldn't be bothered to complain again as we were only there two nights and were not going to spend much time in the room anyway. Apart from this the hotel was clean, modern and had an excellent location. If we were to return we would ask for a room on the front of the premises so we could get a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014

I would however like to apologise about the problems with your air conditioning. I have passed these comments onto our maintenance manager to be resolved. On your next visit please call the hotel directly on 0113 236 6000 and a member of the reception team will be able to locate you a lovely room at the front of the hotel.

Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Room cleaning is sub contracted to rentokil - no joke! Reception don't even know if room should be cleaned every day! Bathroom leak reported Monday, still leaking Friday! Lovely place must be a weak manager. Good location especially if your working at university.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BilliNelson

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to apologise for this. I would encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your experience so that I can look into the points you have raised. Please contact me directly via email valerie.donaldson@radissonblu.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed in room 239 from Saturday to Monday and generally was happy with the hotel. I had read a few reviews online which led me to request a room with external facing windows as I hate the feeling of being closed in. This was acknowledge by the hotel before I arrived. A positive was that whilst I arrived at midday, two hours before check in, I was advised my room was ready which was great news. When I arrived at my room my first impression was it was very dark. It was at this point I noted this room had no external windows as per my request so I contacted reception. A very attentive man attended the room to find me an alternative. Firstly I was offered a room, next door to my final room, that was equipped for someone with disabilities. Whilst this room was large the staff member noted how cold it was and after playing with the air con decided to take me to my final destination. This room was smaller but suited my needs. Very traditional, maybe dated, but clean and comfortable. Bed and pillows were a little softer than I would like would not uncomfortable. Air con was a problem in this room too as it just wouldn't blow cool so I gave up on this if I am honest as I really didn't want to move rooms again. Rooms were well equipped with everything you would need. Reception staff were quick and efficient, sadly the same could not be said for the bar area. We took drinks there on Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening. Although the bar was quite empty and two staff members were working wait times were far from acceptable at 10 minutes plus. I would hate to think what wait times would be should the bar be full. Overall I think I would stay at this hotel again based on its location and level of cleanliness, I would most probably take my drinks elsewhere. I would hope customer requests are normally actioned and this was purely an oversight.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the reception team dealt efficiently with the problems you had with your room. I would like to apologise about the issues with the waiting time at the bar and I will bring this to the attention of our Food and Drinks manager to ensure that this is rectified for future guests.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Booked Junior Suite for £159 via Radisson site. My wife then showed me LateRooms.com site with Radisson Blu Leeds hotel. Listed room with breakfast, free movies, Esporta Health Club access, Nespresso coffee machine, newspaper, bathrobe and slippers. In fact exactly the same as listed for Junior Suite on Radisson site, but for £136.

Sent in the claim form and rejected as LateRooms calls room with same descriptions an "excecutive" rather than "junior suite". So this lowest price guarantee in my opinion is just a scam.

Now I have been fortunate to travel to various countries and hotels. Some 'deluxe' and 'executive' rooms have been a disappointment, barely larger than the bed. Other standard rooms have been a joy with space, storage, facilities and views. So I no longer judge a room by whatever the marketing/sales department calls it, rather what I actually get. It would appear Radisson can't even recognise the same room type given identical description even if given a different name by another site. Very underhand and shoddy.

Which is a shame as the hotel staff are very helpful. The hotel itself is rather tired (missing ceramic on floor, damaged shower/bath taps) although clean and pleasant.

Room Tip: What Radisson call business class rooms are larger and have coffee machine. Beware of the 'Best...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex P

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry that you were disappointed with the rate that you got, however although the amenities in the junior suite and the executive rooms are indeed the same, the junior suite is much more spacious and is a corner room with a view of the city. Laterooms are referring to one of our business class rooms which they call an “executive room” not a junior suite, which why you paid £159, rather than £136 which would have been for one of our business class rooms.

I apologise for any confusion you may have had and I will be reviewing this with Laterooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.