“staff great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
leeds
“staff great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

booked in for valentines night beautiful room spotless,well equipped,staff very friendly and efficient,hadburger for dinner plentiful and tasty .breakfast superb late checkout meant could do shopping.would stay again .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, February 19, 2014

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure that your kind comments get passed onto the team, as I am sure they will be delighted!

Thank you for choosing Radisson Blu Hotel Leeds as your preferred hotel of choice and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Valerie Donaldson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have stayed at the Raddison Blu at Bristol and was very pleased, so I booked this on the back of my good experience. .....how disappointed I was, stained bed sheet, no heating, flickering bathroom light (like a disco) the bath was chipped in two places and the shower that was fed from the bath taps was very poor indeed,
I was hoping for better things when it came to breakfast, but the selection was poor and the continental selection looked like it had been on offer for a very long time as the salmon and cheese were very tired and the crudités were dry and shrivelled.

On a positive note the staff were very helpful and polite.

Finally don't forget you have to pay to park, ours was £13.00

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to read that you did not have a pleasant stay with us and that your comments were not handled or actioned during your stay.

I would encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your experience so that I can look into the points you have raised. Please contact me directly on 0113 236 6007 or via email Valerie.donaldson@radissonblu.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed for the night on a Sunday. Service was efficient and friendly. Hotel was clean and quite. I had been given a room downstairs (Room251) which wasn’t too nice as the bed sits at a funny angle so I asked to change which wasn’t a problem.

I was given a lovely room upstairs which was spacious and clean with a lovely view of the town centre. I didn’t have a great sleep due to the pillows being really soft which I commented on upon check out.

The receptionist told me they could have given me a harder pillow which was pretty good all be it too late after a sleepless night. Breakfast was good with a large selection of all the usual food. I would stay here again but only if in a similar room that doesn’t sit at an odd angle…

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

On your next visit please contact us directly on 0113 236 6000 and our Front Office Team will ensure that you get a room of your preference.

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I'll start by saying I've stayed at Radisson hotels elsewhere a good few times and this is the first time that they have really failed to deliver.

The checkin was fine, however be aware that if you park in the adjacent car park there are stairs to negotiate and in my experience no offer of any assistance at check in or out.

I'd booked an executive double and it appeared fine, not exceptional but spacious and comfortable.

I went out for dinner, came back and the room felt strangely draughty, I noticed one of the wooden shutters was banging. Closer inspection revealed the window catch was completely missing clearly a problem on a very windy night in January.

I called the front desk, and someone from housekeeping was dispatched, I don't know why other than this was clearly a problem that should have been identified when the room was checked prior to occupancy. However as I was later to discover housekeeping is an area where this hotel falls far short.

The next development was a call from the front desk, with an offer to tape the shutters (internal, replacements for curtains) shut. A bizarre solution as cold ir would still have blown into the room and the outer window would have continued to rattle. Hardly conducive to a good night's sleep.

I was told they would look into a room change, now given I had been told at checkin that they were virtually empty, and given someone from housekeeping had already visited my room I would have expected this to be simple. Unfortunately not.

Up to the room came front of house, who said they had a couple of rooms to,show me, both were poky, and far inferior to my original room I'm size and furnishing. In one of these rooms one long side of the double bed was actually against the wall - yes that's right you couldn't walk around the bed.

I pointed out that these were not great rooms, and queried whether they were executive rooms. It was confirmed they were not. So now not only did I face the inconvenience of moving room, the idea of service was to offer me a DOWNGRADE from the room I booked.

I found that quite unbelievable especially given the lw occupancy of the hotel.

I made my feelings clear and it was then suggested to me that I could leave my things in the original room and sleep in one of the others. It was late, I was tired and so I reluctantly agreed.

In practice of course this meant I had paid for something I didn't get. Despite my week long stay no effort was made to compensate me for this.

So onto housekeeping. Having noticed that there was feather pillows and duvet I asked for these to be replaced. The duvet was replaced, and two small non feather pillows added to the bed with the four large feather ones left on the bed. Not exactly thoughtful. Every day I piled the feather pillows at the side of the room, everyday housekeeping placed tem back on the bed!

Midweek my sheets were changed. However there was a tear / wear hole in the new sheet, it was placed on the bed with the long side across the bed and even then was not tucked in at one side. What was worse was that this revealed there was no matress protector on the bed. Disgusting.

By this stage, having also,encountered very poor breakfast service, I had gone beyond feeling there would be any point complaining, I was travelling on business and frankly if I had more time to sort it out would have left

So this brings me to breakfast, go down early at the start of the advertised time and there is a shortage of staff, on more than one occasion tables had been sloppily set up, missing cup, missing salt and pepper, and soup spoons for cereal. Not as bad as the housekeeping experience, and maybe small things but not the standard I would expect in a 4 star hotel.

In addition service was poor, with staff standing chatting in reception rather than taking drink orders, on no occasion was the service prompt, one one occasion I actually had to go and look for someone to request some tea.

Go down later and the place was mayhem I was assigned to a previously used table and left to sit amidst someone else's used plates etc having been told "we're really busy but we'll clear the table as soon as we get a chance".

So onto the "Super Breakfast" which in my experience was a pretty standard hotel offering, far from exceptional in any way. Luke warm cooked breakfast, with dried looking bacon for anybody?The cold meat and cheese option appeared to go unreplenished, presumably the staff didn't notice or didn't care. More sloppiness where the butter dish was topped up with Flora, despite a dish of Flora being right beside it! Take note the fruit on the buffet is hard to reach, a strange and basic design error.

So poor was the experience I didn't even bother every morning.

So at last after 7 nights I get to check out. Once again customer service is decidedly lacking I am greeted by a stony faced young woman who fails to enquire about my stay and abruptly states "So it's just your room to pay for".

Now I'd booked on line via a booking service and ad given card details. I wasn't entirely sure whether I'd paid or not so I politely asked the receptionist to check, the response I got was "Not according to our system, have you got proof you paid", well clearly I wasn't sure either way, that's why I was asking. But I clearly wasn't going to abscond without paying - after all they had my card details.

At this point I said fine charge the card, but made clear that I found the attitude and lack of customer service ethos unacceptable. I asked for a manager, was told there was none available and given their business card.

In addition to all of the above I had emailed the hotel on 3 occasions asking about corporate rates, I eventually received a response saying they were being renegotiated, but they hoped to have it resolved and the information to me by the time of my stay. Needless to say nothing happened.

Well I'd booked for an initial week with the intention of staying several further weeks but one was more than enough. I relocated to the Travelodge, massively cheaper, excellent customer service - they even greet guests by name as they come and go. While the rooms are a bit smaller (but there is space all round the beds!) they are scrupulously clean, with comfortable beds, hole free linen and mattress protectors. Ok there's no espresso machine and minimal toiletries but the difference in price buys a lot of coffee and shampoo!

On the one occasion in 4 weeks I had cause for complaint because there was a problem with guests in an adjacent room it was dealt with in minutes.

So despite previously enjoying Radisson hotels this stay gets a big thumbs down from me, it was a bit like staying at Fawlty Towers without the laughs. Either Radisson have dropped their standards or this hotel doesn't live up to them. Either way I won't be rushing to stay at a hotel in this group .

Room Tip: Hard to say based on the three I saw. I wouldn't choose to stay here again.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, February 12, 2014

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on 1st Feb for a romantic night away after having a baby. We enjoyed a lovely meal out and thought we would end the night with a cocktail in the hotel bar. Big mistake. The bar staff were great but not trained in making cocktails at all. We waited over 30 minutes for 2 basic cocktails. I ordered a margarita and my partner a daquiri and they were reading from an instruction card while making it. They ran out of bacardi amd asked me what to replace it with! I asked for discount which in fairness we were given but we weren't even offered a complimentary drink in all the time we waited. I can't fault the bar staff as I think this is a management issue and they should have given this training if offering cocktails. Even after my little grumble I would still stay here again. The staff were great and the room was lovely. Thanks for a great break away from the kids

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel Leeds; however I was a little disappointed that the bar service you experienced was not up to our usual high standards. I have passed your comments onto our Food and Drink manager to ensure that further training is carried out with all our bar staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

north yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for only one night with 5 friends whilst attending a John Newman gig. We were happy and loud and even came back to the bar at midnight for more drinks which were no problem for the staff. The rooms were lovely, beds comfortable and the room service at 130 am no problem. Would recommend and use again when in town.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to read you had a great time in Leeds and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Limoges, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Radisson Blu – Leeds

The hotel is in the centre of Leeds close to the main shopping area and the railway station. The hotel building has some interesting features and whilst modern facilities has some history in it.

I spent eight nights at the hotel. Check was first rate and even provided with a map without asking. The room was a normal room with a double bed, and a writing desk as well as the expected TV, tea/coffee and comfortable chair. It was well decorated. The room had a bath and shower. Even in January the room was warm. There is free wifi throughout the hotel. Additional tea/coffee and milk was available in the room.

If you needed anything, asking got the right result.

Downstairs there is a raised are that houses the bar where there is comfortable chairs close to a feature gas fire. In the area are a number of tables and chairs where you can sit and use your laptop. Sockets are close by so you can plug in.

At a lower level there is the dining area where breakfast and evening meals are served. Staff are around all of the time to serve drinks and wait on tables.

Food is available from three menus. There is the room service menu with a selection of choices. I did not use the room service so cannot comment on it. Breakfast was buffet style with a good selection on offer.

In the restaurant there is a menu similar to that in the room. In fact there were items on the room menu that were not on the menu downstairs, but it was not a problem and I used the room menu as well. There is another menu offering choices that were not appealing to me. I had one but found it too fancy and artistic rather than a meal. That was the only issue I had regarding food.

That said by just walking outside the door of the hotel there are numerous option for alternative dining, so it’s not a problem. Browns restaurant is only a few steps away, and I ate there twice. (see review Browns Leeds)

When leaving I had to download and print a flight boarding pass as well as a rail ticket for French railways. The staff were on hand to assist.

Apart from in my opinion, the limited food options availability, there are no adverse comments.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank mikewelham
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Guest,