“Highly recommended - excellent service and room”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“Highly recommended - excellent service and room”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was in Leeds to attend a conference and spent six nights at this hotel in late June - early July 2013. The hotel staff were professional and polite. As I was travelling on my own and paying the 'conference rate', I had expected to be relegated to a pokey room reserved for singletons. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. My room was elegant, spotless and spacious. As my rate included breakfast, I had assumed that I had to eat in the hotel restaurant each morning. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was able to have my breakfast served in my room for a very reasonable three pounds fifty tray charge. As I was on my own and some of the conference sessions did not finish until 7.30pm, I ate a couple of times in the hotel restaurant. The quality of the food and the wine list were another very pleasant surprise. The staff servicing the area were friendly, knowledgeable and professional. The location was excellent, as it was walking distance from the university and the train station. My only very minor complaint was that I thought that as the hotel did not appear to have a concierge service, the reception staff needed a little more knowledge in some areas e.g. where the closest pharmacy is and its opening hours. I was told that it didn't open until 9am, when it actually opened that day at 6am and I had severe hayfever and mild asthma and could have sought relief much earlier. However, as stated, this is a very minor issue. If I had thought more carefully about it, I could have used my iPad to find this out. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling for business purposes. I was so impressed, I joined their hotel club.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you like the hotel and would recommend us to others.

I have taken note regarding knowledge with the front office team and have begun discussions with the Front Office manager on implementing the necessary training to ensure we continue to provide excellent service.

Valerie Donaldson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel has a lot of good points. Its situation in the Light towards the western end of The Headrow is ideal for exploring the centre of the city and the overall ambience is smart and inviting. It has a large open plan breakfast area where you can get a very good buffet breakfast in the best Yorkshire tradition. The staff were all friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome.

Our room was on the 6th floor, which is the top floor. This means that it was under the eaves so the sloping roof and pillars did intrude on the space somewhat – for example you had to creep under the protruding shutters to get into the far side of the bed. The layout of our room was also somewhat curious because there was a lot of wasted space allocated to a poorly lit lobby area; but we had a good view of the city. The room was very well appointed and the furnishings were very attractive - much better quality than you might expect, and the bathroom was clean and functioned well.

The main drawback, however, was the bed. I know that if you go into a bedding store and ask for a king size you get a 5ft bed; but in all the other hotels I visit around the world, King Size means 6ft. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case here and we were stuck in a 5ft bed with pathetically limp pillows – very disappointing!

Overall I liked this hotel, but next time we visit I think we’ll need to be a little bit more careful about our choice of room and bed configuration.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor because the rooms are under the eaves. Watch out for the so-called king-size do...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you like the hotel location and enjoyed the breakfast.

As we operate in a listed building, previously the Leeds Building Society, all rooms are of different shapes and sizes. For your future booking please contact reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com and ask them to add your request (subject to availability) of your preferred room location within the building. All of our pillows have been recently installed in line with our brand standards. I appreciate that pillows are to personal taste, therefore please do not hesitate to inform us prior to your future arrival of your preferred pillow type and we will provide accordingly.

Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Only down side was that we couldn't use the pool as my son was under 19, so families beware... Otherwise a great stay.the hotel is brilliantly located and the staff were very friendly. We stayed there during a very hot spell so can definitely vouch for the air conditioning! We did not opt for the brecky, which did not matter as there are plenty of places around to choose from!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GJM65
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the service was good.

Virgin Active is an adults only gym, therefore anyone under the age of 18 years is not permitted access unfortunately. However please do not hesitate to contact a member of the front office team who will be able to inform you of suitable activities to do whilst you are visiting the city.

For your future booking please contact reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com and they will be able to organise information on city activities and events to be sent to you prior your stay.

Lincolnshire
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Booked on line for a one night stay as we were going to see a show in Leeds. Nice large room with all the usual facilities and air conditioning which was usefull. You have to leave card details at the desk if you want to use the mini bar, which locks itself if you dont. Its cheaper to pay for drinks at the bar and take them to your room. Bed was ok and roomy but very soggy pillows!
Good idea to search for the deals, we payed a lot for our room only deal, some friends of ours stayed there a couple of weeks earlier and paid a third of what we did, and got breakfast!!
Location is very good a couple of minutes walk to the main shopping area and restaurants, and for us two minutes walk to the Grand Theatre.
Would use it again but search for the deals.

Room Tip: Search for the deals!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bottesford
Reviewed July 7, 2013

got a refurbed room on the 5th floor quite a nice room and quiet which is was we needed after a hectic day shopping in leeds , it was very hot day and the air-con in the room did not work , we could not open any windows , contacted reception and was told she might send somebody up , but they didn't .Thus i'm having to give this indifferent review because of bad service received by this person in reception ( all other members of staff on check in and out were great by the way )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay. I am disappointed to read the poor follow up regarding your air conditioning by a member of the front office team.

I will look into this matter immediately and ensure refresher training is implemented with immediate effect.

For your future booking please contact reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com and we will ensure the room is checked prior to your arrival to ensure that the matter has been rectified.

London
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fine: very clean, well run, with good front desk service and some nice touches (a bottle of water by the bed, for instance). Breakfast was excellent. The location is also very good: close to shops, universities and the business area but not too noisy. Also an easy walk from the train station. On the whole, I was disappointed by the lack of a free, integrated fitness club and I felt lots of the fixtures and fittings were flimsy and liable to break. Dinner in the restaurant was ok - a bit oily and fussy, but it was all tasty.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and felt the location and service were good.

I will look into your comments regarding the fixtures with our maintenance team immediately.

As we operate in a listed building, previously the Leeds Building Society. Please ensure you contact us directly prior to your future stays and we will ensure your rooms are prepared to our usual standard; reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com .

Louth, Lincs
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here for the first time last week-end & secured a great deal on Expedia in a Business Class room & we will definitely be back.
Location is very handy for shops, bars & restaurants, once inside the hotel, it really didn't feel like you were in a shopping centre!
Check in was smooth & quick & we were thrilled with our room. It was well equipped & everything was stored in a handy & neat cabinet with a lovely Nespresso coffee maker on the desk. Two large windows overlooking the town as we requested with great secondary glazing to cut out the noise at night. The bathroom was lovely
with an excellent shower & luxurious toiletries.
Breakfast was a delight, a good choice of fresh fruit, pastries & full English if required. The coffee was good & it was no problem asking for a second pot.
All the staff we encountered were pleasant & welcoming, we have nothing but lovely memories of our week-end break.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased you have gained a weekend of lovely memories and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.