“Almost perfect.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The location is great in a shopping mall in the centre of Leeds. Parking was in the mall and although not cheap you save a little if you ask reception to validate your token. The service was magnificent. It just happened that we met only one receptionist, Mark, and he looked after us throughout our stay. What a lovely man. He arranged taxis to take us to and pick us up from the theatre and as there was snow he phoned the taxi company to check they would not abandon us. I told him I would like some roses for my wife as the next morning was Valentines Day and he bought them himself on his was to work. This says a lot for the selection, training and appraisal of the staff at The Leeds Radison Blu.
The bedroom was large enough, modern and comfortable. The only downside was there was little natural daylight. The bathroom had a comfortable bath. There was plenty of cupboard and surface space and it was nice to see good coat hangars with proper hooks that you are trusted not to steal.
Sadly the breakfast was poor although there was plenty of good service. They had run out of croissants (Unbelievable) and the rolls were horrible. I asked for an omelet which came quickly but it was dry and overcooked.
I would certainly come to this hotel again but I would avoid the breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room 511 had a bath but some rooms have showers only so it is necessary to check.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you had an enjoyable time and that Mark took care of you during your stay. Thank you for bringing to my attention your feedback on breakfast and I have addressed this with the kitchen team.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked 4 rooms at the Radisson Blu for my hen weekend for me and 7 others. I did not want a 'typical' hen weekend and just wanted a night away with my friends & Mum in a city that would allow us to enjoy good food, wine & enjoy ourselves without a tacky night out!!

I picked the Radisson as I wanted a central hotel within walking distance of restaurants and nice bars. I initially disregarded this hotel as it came up as too expensive, however randomly it popped up on Lastminute.com at £68 per room. As it wouldn't let me book twin rooms I rang the hotel direct and despite initially been told that the rooms would be £125 I quoted the cheaper rate and they matched it straight away. I did have to pay upfront and two friends couldn't make it in the end, so two friends of mine bought the room off me in the end as I couldn't get my money back.

We didn't pay for breakfast and just went to Starbuck's instead. Half of the hotel backs into the Light which has a few shops, restaurants (and Startbucks) so if you want, you don't have to venture out into city at all and stay under cover!

The receptionist was lovely, efficient and chatted away to me whilst I was booking in. For some reason there weren't four twin rooms but it was fine as we ended up with two doubles and two twins. During our chat she asked me why we were visiting and I explained about my hen weekend. When we returned to the room later on, a box of fresh fruit, hand painted with chocolate and a note of best wishes for our marriage had been left - such a lovely thought.

During the day we went to Antony's Piazza for afternoon tea (brilliant), went to the spa, did cocktail making and then had dinner at Jamie's Italian. I had searched and searched for spa deals where we didn't have to spend a fortune but could just spend a few hours - as Radisson residents we could go to the Virgin Health Club (about 1 minute walk within the Light) and for £6 (bargain!) each we got access - we spent a relaxing hour using a pool, sauna, 2 jacuzzis and sun loungers which was perfect.

The twin room was HUGE - I have never stayed in such a large hotel room, it was like a suite!! It allowed all 6 of us to relax and spend time getting ready for our night out with plenty of room and we weren't squashed in. The beds were extremely comfortable, there were a few noisy guests walking past during the night but apart from that, a good nights sleep.

Overall - a fantastic and modern hotel with massive rooms and perfect for my hen weekend. At £68 per room it was great value and worth ringing the hotel direct to get the best rate. I would stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Get a gigantic twin room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you had an enjoyable time with your hens.

Have a great wedding and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

reservations.leeds@radissonblu.com
Leeds
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel just for one evening and all was a very positive experience. Staff were very nice and accomodating , very well helpful and friendly . Would defintely recommend the hotel to others .

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you had an enjoyable time and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great location and great staff. Reception staff very good. Room cleanliness very good. Snacked in the lounge the night of arrival. Steak baguette OK - but beef filling a little meagre - surprised no English mustard available! Used to stay in the City Inn rebranded Mint and now a Hilton. Hilton have been on a cost saving exercise and it shows.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
LeedsGM, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you had an enjoyable time and I will look into the lack of english mustard.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Newcastle
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Booked into a business class room. The room was nice although a little smaller than similar hotels. Service was very good and I would recommend.

We also used the Virgin gym's slimming pool which was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

my partner and i stayed for 1 night just for a night out in leeds. hotel location, brilliant, hotel 1st impressions very good. room 615 spotless, bed against the wall so was a little hard to get in and out of when partner was sleeping. facilities in room good apart from there was no hot running water in bath or shower, luke warm only. basin water very hot. plug also would not loosen out of bath so once run bath remained with water in. breakfast was lovely no complaints there. staff very helpfil, from reception to waiting staff at breakfast. would recommend this hotel to friends and family. would return, just not to room 615.

Room Tip: refuse room 615 if wanting to bathe and sleep.
1 Thank enncle
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I have informed the maintenance team to review the water situation in room 615.

I am pleased to read this has not put you off returning and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

East Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

First impressions are very good! The hotel was easy to drive to, the car parking couldn't be any closer and the central location is perfect for anything 'Leeds central'.

After checking-in and making our way to the room, we were suitably impressed when we walked through the door. The layout was quite contemporary, tastefully styled and decorated and very clean.

Unfortunately, as my partner opened a bedside drawer, it fell to pieces causing a slight injury to her leg. I tried to call reception but only one of the three telephones in the room was working! Anyway, a handyman came to the room and glued the drawer back together. In the meantime we had been offered another room but as we looked inside it smelt musty and of cigarette smoke despite there being a 'no smoking' sign displayed. We chose to aty in the first room we were allocated.

The hotel offers free wifi, however, we never managed to get it to work. The reception did state that there were some issues and gave us alternative instructions to connect but neither of us could get these to work. This was an issue to us as we run a business that operates over the weekend and consequently we need internet access. The room was in the middle of the hotel and the mobile phone signal was not good enough in the room to allow a strong enough connection to none of the three networks we use.

Anyway, we were due to attend a function out of town. We had been given a fare quote by the main taxi company in Leeds but the hotel stared that the taxi company they would call for us would be cheaper. As it transpired 'their' taxi company was 25% more expensive, the car was overdue an appointment with a scrap yard and the driver a) didn't know where he was going, and b) couldn't read a satnav!

After the function we went out in Leeds centre which was very good. The hotel location was perfect for this and was in walking distance of any number of good bars, restaurants, etc.

Unfortunately, the room was far too hot and this was with the heating control set to minimum. Neither of us had a very good nights sleep due to this. Now neither of us are 'prudes' but a bathroom with a glass door directly opposite the toilet, giving full view to whoever is in the room, just didn't seem right! The slight frosting of the glass leaves nothing to the imagination . . . . . .

We had taken the option to include breakfast with our booking. Check-out can be as late as 1200hrs, which is good, and breakfast is also available until then (also good). What a pity the breakfast was so mediocre. The layout and selection is good but it appeared the staff either couldn't be bothered or had also been out until late the night before and were suffering with hangovers. Every member of the dining room staff seemed miserable and not particularly helpful. Bearing in mind most of the cooked breakfast items were either cold or had ran out, trying to have a complete, hot, cooked breakfast was a challenge that was never quite achieved. To be fair, food wise it was just the cooked breakfast that disappointed - they'd managed to get the cereals and pastries right . . . . . . . .

Whilst sat in the dining room we did see another couple who, once they'd seen the breakfast offerings (particularly the cooked breakfast), left without eating and demanded a refund. can't blame them really!

Car parking is (allegedly) subsidised. We had our car parking token 'authorised' but at just under £20 for just over 24hrs, there can't be very much of a subsidy.

Would we stay there again? Well, we're hoping we just had an uncharacteristically bad experience. Previous ratings seemed fine and, as previously mentioned, the location is perfect. Hopefully there'll be a few more reviews to check before we venture there again.

This hotel has a lot of potential but unfortunately, it was wasted . . . . . . .

Room Tip: Rooms in the centre are too hot and have poor mobile network signal. Check you're not in a room...
1 Thank Martin E
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay.
I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be in a good location with good first impressions.
I would like to apologise for the broken drawer which our engineer was able to repair during your stay. Our wifi has now been upgraded to 100mb which will now offer a faster service.
I am not sure as to why you had difficulty with a mobile phone signal, which I will look into with our IT department. I can confirm the heating specialists have now addressed the heating faults with your room. The breakfast staff are receiving refresher service training as I write.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Taxi Company that we have suggested and I will ensure the feedback gets given to them and that we no longer recommend this company. The hotel currently offers a discount for 24 hours £13 instead of £18.50; however, if you have stayed over this amount then you are charged the hourly rate by Q-Park.
We hope you will give us a second chance and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Please let me know your details so I can ensure your profile is updated and we can take better care of you on your next visit.