“2nd time around, as good as the first. Won't stay anywhere else in City centre”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Last time we stayed here it was for my Partners graduation back in 2009, it was good then and just as good again this time.

Checkin by "Katie" was seemless and although it's their job to chat and make it sound like you're the only guest but she appeared genuinely interested so well done to her.

I'd booked a business room again as for about £30 difference it's more than worth it. The funny thing was we go the same room as before! These are great rooms on the 6th floor with a view over the City Centre.

Room was clean, tidy as expected. But no mini bar this time , the fridge was still there but only had 2 bottles of water in. Would have been nice to grab a cold drink. The Nespresso coffee machines might aswell be taken out as it takes forever to warm up to the point where I just boiled the kettle!

Wifi was ok after I got a voucher to logon with.

Breakfast was fabulous you couldn't fail to find something you like there as there was masses of it and although we went down fairly late 9.15am the hot stuff was exactly that and fresh, certainly didn't look as it had been there since 6.30am.

With anything there's going to be minor niggles...the nespresso machine and having to get a voucher to login to to wifi rather than it recognising guest name and room number but these are far outweighed by the overall package.

To finish then check out no problems and booked again for when we're in Leeds to see We will Rock you in November.

When I stay in the City Centre I won't stay anywhere apart from here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with the Radisson Blu Hotel Leeds.

I am pleased to advise we are currently working on a new mini bar menu and aim to have these installed by teh end of November. I will ensure your comments are passed onto Katie.
We look forward to welcoming you back in November, for We Will Rock you! If you have not booked yet I reccommend you do to avoid dissapointment.

Valerie Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed at the hotel over a weekend. I have never used this chain before and I was not excpecting too much as it was a city centre hotel.
However I was quite impressed.
we arriived early and we were allowed to check in early so that was a bonus. The hotel is well appointed for shopping, theatre and the town hall.
The rooms ( we booked 3 in total for family) were all differentl, spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable. The room was a little cold for my liking but this was an Australian in a British summer so probably not a good indication.
On the downside there is no valet parking and no concierge to assist with luggage. The recptionist was not very welcoming or friendly.
We had breakfast and that was pretty good. We also ate in the bar and that was very good.
The best thing that happened was Joseph the waiter in the dining room gave exceptional service. We had our 95 yr old mother with us and he provided her with the most exceptional service making sure she was OK and assisting her with her bags.
I would consider this hotel chain again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

I will ensure your comments are passed on to Joseph and also with the reception team, for which I will follow up with necessary training.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I am a big fan of Radisson Blu hotels; I think they are very stylish, comfortable hotels which often have quirky features. An example of this is that our room in the Leeds hotel had a pretty glass backdrop behind the bed which lit up. The room itself was well laid out and well equipped, although we had to keep our curtains closed as we looked onto the inner corridors of the hotel. One of the best things about the hotel is its central position - just for that, we would probably return again.

The most disappointing part of our stay was the hotel staff, though. The girl who checked us in was obviously feeling stressed and annoyed with her colleague - we felt the brunt of it. She fleetingly asked if we'd like to upgrade to a club room, but took no interest in explaining to us what the benefits would be. We would have actually upgraded had we been better informed at that point.

Later in the day, when we asked the duty manager for a later check out time, he told us that the hotel was full the following day so he could not give us more time. The hotel was not busy on the day we stayed, so he could have been more accommodating. We asked a member of reception staff the next day for a few more hours grace, and she was more than happy to give us a later check out time. That made us feel that the duty manager was just not interested in customer service (symptomatic of the bulk of the staff in the hotel).

The worst member of staff was the barman, though. When we went for a late night drink, I asked for a glass of wine. He told me that they didn't have that wine, but instead of offering an alternative, he stared at us until we'd made another choice. His attitude was almost hostile, and he certainly made us feel that we were imposing on his time. The bar had a handful of people in it, so he wasn't exactly busy!

It annoys me when staff show that they have no desire to make a customer feel welcome or comfortable. That is exactly how most of the staff at the Radisson made us feel. The one person who was smiling and happy to serve was a trainee called Jordannah - she was lovely. The staff serving breakfast were quite nice as well. I don't want to name the staff who were rude, but I do hope that management look into how this hotel is being run. I'd like to see the service levels improve before we stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MsFancy101
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear Ms. Fancy
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Radisson Blu Hotel Leeds. I would like to apologise for the service you experienced and will address this immediately. I would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss your comments in more detail, my contact number is 0113 236 6000. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to Jordannah and the breakfast team.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stay at Radisson hotels about once a week on business, both in the UK and abroad and as such I hold a Gold loyalty card. At every other Carlson Group hotel, this entitles me to a room upgrade. I stay at the Leeds hotel about 5-10 times a year, and so far this year have been given some pretty awful rooms and no upgrade. The rooms almost always have some issue or other. For instance, TV reception is dreadful in all standard rooms, lighting is poor in most rooms (making it difficult to work), ventilation is almost non-existent and the standard of cleaning is mixed.

The hotel has some very good staff, but also quite a few who really do not seem to care. there is almost always a wait to check out, as there are never enough staff on reception. I have tried to feed back to the management, but nothing has changed. The hotel has such potential, but is let down my poor maintenance and service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TroyTempest66
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am dissapointed to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us in July. Please can you contact me at your earliest convenience to resolve the issues you experienced. I look forward to hearing from you.

General Manager -----
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were staying here for a weekend from Saturday to Monday, coming over to see our son who lives in Leeds. When looking for a hotel we wanted somewhere close to the city centre, and somewhere which was clean, reasonably priced and where we would receive good service - the Radisson Blu gave us all of this, and a lot more!

Firstly, the location is perfect. You literally walk out of the hotel and you are in the city centre. If it joined on to a local shopping precinct called 'The Light', don't let this put you off though - we stayed two nights and didn't hear a thing. By the look of things it wasn't to busy most of the time.

Check-in couldn't have been easier or quicker. Their was 3 of us staying, and we had booked two rooms. When we were checking in, the member of staff asked if we would like rooms which were together - no trouble at all. All information about breakfast etc was given and we were encouraged to ask any questions we had, and were told if we needed anything their was somebody at reception 24 hours a day.

The rooms were absolutely gorgeous - absolutely spotless. They had a huge, extremely comfortable double bed, with 3 pillows. Their were all the normal features, including a TV, iron, ironing board, kettle, cups, and a selection of Twinings tea, coffee and Cadburys hot chocolate. Their was also a safe and a mini fridge - unfortunately the safe and mini fridge didn't work in my room, but in my parents room they both worked - I didn't need either of them so it didn't annoy me. The bathroom was spotless, and came with plenty of towels and shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. Both rooms were also fitted with air conditioning and free wifi is available across the hotel.

Breakfast was lovely! It had a vast amount of food which catered for everybody's taste. Their were 5 different types of cereal, toast available, cooked breakfast, danish pastries and croissants, fresh fruit, cooked meats, mini muffins, fruit juices, amongst other choices. Their was something there for everybody! Everything very fresh, and the staff were extremely friendly!

Checkout was very easy; check out is 12pm.

All in all, the Radisson Blu hotel was a really good hotel, and we would definatley recommend this hotel to anybody and will definatley be staying here again! If any of the management team read this, please say a massive thank you to all of your staff who made our stay so enjoyable.

1 Thank rcampbell2010
Thank you for your recent feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will definetly share your lovely comments with the team. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Leeds, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed one night on a Saturday in a Business class room on B&B basis.
Good spacious modern room, great hotel staff, very polite, pleasant and willing to please. Breakfast was good, but small seating area and it was full so we had to eat in the bar area on couches not ideal as too low down to eat.
But overall a decent hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher up the better to avoid noise from The Headrow
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Check-in was a breeze, even though we arrived before the stated check-in time. Our Exec room on the 6th floor was a good size (by European standards--but fine by U.S. standards too), spotless, and well-furnished with a modern but warm decor. With two windows (overlooking a nearby church) there was plenty of light. A bit jet lagged, I was up for a good part of the night so can say with certainty that everything was completely quiet.

In-room amenities were a little bit odd -- a crazy coffee/tea contraption that I couldn't figure out, what appeared to be tap water in a bottle on the table, and a fridge that was empty except for more tap water. The iron and ironing board were useful, as were the robe and slippers.

The mattress was firm but pillows were flat. Bathroom towels were large and thick. The bathroom was perfectly clean and came with all the usual personal products (but no blow dryer, which is unusual in my experience). The location could hardly be more convenient (5-10 min walk from the train station and shopping arcades; about 15 min. from the University). The Lounge in the lobby was nicely furnished with club chairs. It has a full coffee bar and a good selection of food options including regional staples. From other reviews, I feared that “The Lights” would be a brash, ugly, loud, shopping mall, but it was tasteful and quiet. Overall, while not a 5-star (luxury) experience, this is a very good hotel for business or leisure travelers, and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We pre-paid for an Exec class room through Orbitz and got a very good rate.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan D
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We will take your comments on board and make the necessary imporvements. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.