“Management attitude results in a poor experience”
Review of OBM Buffet Restaurant - CLOSED

OBM Buffet Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

In line with other recent reviews on here, this 'Restaurant' has lost me forever as a customer.
Working in the centre of Leeds We have frequented this 'all you can eat buffet restaurant' for many years and have seen out many changes of owners, management, and name (Was No 1 buffet).
Today (Sunday) we visited for lunch - Nearly all the dishes in the numerous 'bain marie's were cold, when I pointed this out to the manager, he confirmed that they had a problem with the equipment and they were trying to fix it.

As the food was inedible ( and probably a health risk having sat there for a number of hours unheated) we advised the manager that we would not be eating in their restaurant however would obviously pay for the 2 drinks we had ordered -

When trying to pay by debit card, they then insisted that as the bill was now under £6 they would be charging me 80p for using the card - (we did not take cash as expected the bill to be £25+)

I was told in no uncertain terms that I would have to pay the 80p addition, until the ever growing queue of diners trying to pay and leave then started to complain about the temperature of their food.and that they were very unhappy -

I was then told that they would 'let me off the 80p'

I will also add that This drinks I did order were not finished either but we just wanted to leave.

We left annoyed and upset by their attitude, the only consolation being that after my 'complaint' we left the manager with at least another 2 couples in the queue wanting to discuss their issues with him

We will never return, - There are an increasing number of alternatives in Leeds - especially with the opening of the new Trinity shopping centre- I would recommend that anyone looking for a reasonably priced 'buffet' restaurant avoids this one.

4  Thank Ausweb

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have eaten here on many occasions over time and always liked it but i can honestly say that it has gone downhill recently , i visited with my daughter and granddaughter who is only 11, The food was not as varied as has been before and some of it i found quite bland and tasteless and also not very hot , When we received the bill i was charged for 3 adult meals i questioned this and they then frogmarched my granddaughter to a line on the wall and pointed that she was an inch over this means she is charged adult price ! I have never been so humiliated in front of the whole restaurant before ! surely they could have taken us aside and mentioned it quietly , needless to say i will not be going back there again !!!

2  Thank mazwyk
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Went with my daughter as she has been with friends and loved it, well I hated it. The food wasn't even warm, everything tasted the same and the chicken didn't even loook or taste like chicken. Everything was very dry, rice was really hard and had no taste. Cost was £9.90 each, would rather pay double and get better nquality. Staff friendly and polite, clear tables quickly. Will not be going again. St

1  Thank sam010101
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Having wanted to try OBM for a while, I looked forward to it as it actually looks fairly attractive from the outside. On entering the first impression is of a rather drab, functional, open space with little character - they've not done much to give this the feel of a restaurant or any atmosphere whatsoever - in fact it feels a bit more like eating in third rate office block than a restaurant

The first real shock came though when asked to pay in advance of the meal actually being served. Do they think you won't like the food, or not trust customers that they won't escape without paying. Either way, paying in advance feels bang out of order - is this is a restaurant or a debtors' prison?

Then the service: the waitress's poor English was forgiveable, but the delay in drinks being delivered to our table (which we had prepaid for) was not!

And the food - well it was edible and a few dishes were actually acceptable. My advice is stick to a few basics and not to go for anything that doesn't lend itself to being kept warm on a buffet for long periods.

Then the bill - at £9.90 per head for the ambitiously named 'grand buffet' (availalble in the evening) it wasn't cheap. Grand in name, but not in nature. If this was the 'grand' version then I dread to imagine the cheaper 'lunchtime' (and not so grand) version.

Oh, and they messed up my bill, until the waitress with poor English, but thankfully brilliant Maths, put them right. So she gets a star in my book.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited with some friends in late October. This has been a Chinese buffet for a number of years but it's changed hands several times and this is my first visit to it as OBM.

The decor is OK, basic but clean.

The food was very nice and quite fresh. It was a Saturday night and quite busy which helped keep the food fresh as it was topped up regularly, I suspect at quieter it might not be refreshed much. Good choice of dishes and deserts though not as many starters as in many buffets.

The only real downside was the staff. They were friendly enough when they did speak to customers but seemed to consider doing so a chore.
We had to ask to be attended to several times when we wanted more drinks and again at the end when we wanted our bill and unlike in most buffets empty plates are not collected from tables often.
There were a lot of staff on duty but they seemed to be more interested in standing together near the tills chatting than in moving among the tables doing their job.