“Really nice and friendly staff”

East India Restaurant
Ranked #721 of 1,961 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I popped in one evening just before Christmas, my daughter and I were not dressed for a restaurant (she in wellies me in walking boots), but we were tired and hungry.
To my surprise the staff couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming!
A lovely young lad, got us drinks straight away, and showed us to our table.
OK this place is not sophisticated. The décor is rather dated and cider is sold by the can! But for our needs it was more than adequate.
What I liked about the menu is that all dishes are available as half portions for children at £3.95, as oppose to something processed with chips which is all that is on offer in the other two Indian restaurants in Crossgates.
She had a very generous portion of chicken korma, and I a jalfrezie with chapattis and pilau rice. She had a coke and I a cider. Amazingly all this came to a mere £18.50!!!
The food itself was clean and grease free, but just a a bit above average and in truth it warrants a three or three and a half. It gets a 4 because the staff were so warm and made us feel at ease.

1  Thank Laura B

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Although this has lost it's crown as "Crossgates Best Curry House" with the opening of Nawaz, it's time-honoured menu (some specials must have been on the board for 10 years!) offers up some tasty treats. A friendly, if sometimes slow, service attracts a loyal clientèle of which I now number.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is tired and in desperate need of modernisation.

The food is average at best.

I'd simply not go here again until it has a serious overhaul. Which is a real shame as it used to be the best curry house in Crossgates.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant is local to me - and is also my favourite Indian Restaurant. The food is fresh and very tasty. I always order a "special" off the board as they are always different. Sometimes might seem a little slow, but the food is always freshly cooked to order. The staff are very polite and friendly. We go there that often that we now get a Christmas card!! This is where my two grandchildren (aged 6 and 9) had their first Indian meals - and the 6-year-old always says his favourite meal is chicken tikka massala. I have never had a bad meal here - and always recommend it to my friends. The stairs are quite steep and narrow and would not suit a wheelchair bound person but you can always order a takeaway if you can't get there in person.

1  Thank Susan D
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am shocked at the good reviews on here. The staff on the bar were NOT friendly. Coke was flat having been poured from large coke bottle and warm. Food ok. Like to use food colouring which only down market restaurants use these days. Ordered icecream and it was totaly melted. Check your bill as they make it up. Two of our group ordered same meals, diffrent price. There are so many good indian rstaurants in leeds this is not one of them.