“Awful centre manager”

MFA Bowl Leeds
Ranked #53 of 55 Fun & Games in Leeds
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Leeds MFA bowling centre has been around since the 1960's where it was once the biggest bowling centre on one level in Europe. The centre has hosted many prestige tournaments over the years and has a long running affiliation with bowling leagues ranging form the YBC (Youth Bowling Club) to the Seniors who bowl here every Friday. The centre has changed hands over the years and now is owned by MFA Bowl since 2011. We have only just installed the latest craze from Italy, FootBowl. We have the exclusive rights and Leeds has the very first one.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The place itself looks old, filthy and in need of some serious work. The lanes broke down constantly, I have to say though, the worst part was the rude and arrogant short man who I was informed was the general manager named Christian Jackson he lacked any customer service skills or people skills in general he was cutting and utterly clueless, I am baffled as to how he has got a managerial role at all. He seemed a genuinely nasty and horrid person. The girl on reception was lovely and could not do enough for us I didn't get her name but she was a very happy and cheerful little thing.

9  Thank james11123
Will L, Manager at MFA Bowl Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2015

Good evening and thank you for the review.

Firstly let me apologise for the issues you had in your visit and that this really isn't the standard we set ourself or the team at MFA Bowl Leeds.

I am the new Centre Manager and I would like to invite you back to the centre to have a game of bowling on me. I have been here for the last 6 months and myself and the team are working really hard to change peoples view of the Bowling Centre.

Hopefully, after your next visit we can have a few more stars and a much better rating.

Thanks again,

Will

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had a couple of games last night with a large group of work colleagues. The place feels a bit grubby and could do with an overhaul. On top of that the most frustrating thing and the reason for my low score is the fact that the lanes continually broke down. It must have happened eight or nine times in our two games and is the worst reliability I've ever seen at a bowling alley. The staff did what they could but it really slowed us down and was a real pain.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We went here on the adult party package - £14 a head for two games of bowling, 'food' and two drinks each. Compared to tenpin prices this is cheap but overall the experience wasn't that good. The lane kept jamming and during our 2nd game totally stopped working. They moved us to another lane which worked better but we did have to start the game again. That said they gave us all another free drink each when we spoke to the manager after getting palmed off by the lady on reception. The drinks were fine, a pint of cider, lager, and some bottles/soft drinks. The food was OK at best - a few garlic mushrooms, chicken wings, onion rings and literally what seemed like a bag of curly fries on one large plate. It was OK and hot, but nothing much. The place was clean though unlike some other reviews.

I would say if the lanes worked it would be OK value but it did get a bit annoying having to constantly get help, which wasn't all that quick to arrive either.

3  Thank chammp
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went with family with a Living Social Voucher bowling for 4 and cheesey chips. First impressions from entering was "dated" looks shoddy and in serious need of a makeover. Eating/cooking area looked dirty, fridge doors etc dirty marks looks like the whole cooking area should be ripped out and new installed. Will not be returning.

1  Thank Pyne186411
See more reviews
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I went with a living social deal....... thought I would give it ago, never again. The place was dirty, the there was no were to put your things ie no bench down the middle of the lane, only 3 seats. The markings had been rubbed of the board to set the game up, and no instructions, there was only 1 staff member at one point so to get started took ages, there was a poor selection of bowling balls, Our deal included chips.... the girl at the counter was nice and helpful, but then the girl from the booking desk came along and started to eat the chips in the basket with her fingers, what she left was tipped into a dish and given to us.

All in all very disappointing not even worth the voucher deal.

4  Thank kaz7600