“15th jan purfect night”

Miah's Kitchen
Ranked #263 of 1,870 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on the rather swish York Place, close to Leeds mainline railway station, Miah’s Place is an Indian restaurant with a wow factor. Right from the outset you really know that you’re in for something special – the restaurant is set within one of the old red brick buildings, behind wrought iron low fencing, its subtle signage indicating that Miah’s Kitchen, a small scale chain making waves throughout Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, is perhaps a little more special than your average Indian eatery. Through the portico-ed front door you’ll enter a stylish dining room furnished in an unusual Art Deco inspired style, with ball topped lamps, sensuous lines and low slung leather seating, all in low key tones. Miah’s Kitchen offers an extensive menu of old Indian favourites, ranging from tandoori dishes to biryanis and baltis as well as a good collection of specialties created especially for the restaurant, using contemporary and traditional techniques. Surprisingly affordable, Miah’s Kitchen provides an upmarket take on Indian dining without the price tag.
“15th jan purfect night”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

13 of us went to miahs on the 15th of jan for a birthday meal, glad we chose miahs. The place is very modern with a good ambience! It was very busy for a Tuesday but the service was still of a high standard, and the quality of the food was very very good. The staff are very friendly and good hosts. the Surprise birthday cake with a sparkler in it went a treat as well as a complimentary homemade kulfi (rose flavour), been to many restaurants in Leeds and would highly recommend miahs to anyone as I have already booked to come for my anniversary.

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude staff”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had been to the restaurant on 16 Jan, in the afternoon.

I had asked for "a Tarka dal and Pilau Rice".
Initially the tarka dal was served with no salt.
I have asked him to give some salt to add.

Later just after I had the first spoon with the pilau rice, I realized that the Tarkadal was served without garlic, as it generally would be.
I have asked for that and the person to add some garlic as it usually would be. He was so rude and said I should have told at the very beginning.

Brought the same with added garlic and said that no one complains about the tarka dal, its just me who has done that.

I have decided to walk out after a heated argument about this, and asked for a bill/receipt.
Then I found that they wont maintain any computerized receipts (which is totally unusual) in restaurant business, and went on to add he can give the VAT number on a plain paper and give it in writing. I insisted on a computerized receipt and he said its not a practice at their place.
Surprisingly, the food bill was way too high than what I expected.
I have asked for a side dish+ rice. I was served maincourse rates. Shocking !!
Used some useless words and asked me to go out.

I am not sure if the plain paper receipts are given only in the afternoon.

Anyways, be sure of what you ask and all the very best if you want to get into this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Satya S
Leeds
“Best curry in Leeds”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have frequented many curry restaurants in Leeds and this is by far the best. The restaurant has a classy upmarket feel and serves traditional indian dishes with a modern twist. It is essential to book for Friday/Saturday evenings. Very reasonable pricing: starter, main and a beer/wine works out about £15 per head.

Visited December 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't get all the hype”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Starter portions were very small, lamb was very tender and tasty in my shashlik but my partners meal at best resembled a lamb stew! We were charged £4 for a sauce to accompany the shasklik where most restaurants include this, making the dish £14!!

One of the members of staff was lovely and the handshake on leaving was a nice touch, but the other staff seemed rushed.

We wanted to try somewhere different as we usually go Akbars on Greek Street but we'll be back to Akbars next time.

Visited January 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good food but check your bill”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The food at Miah's kitchen has been excellent every time we visited. However on our last visit before xmas we were overcharged for both of our main courses, by around £4. We didn't raise it at the time because we were not 100% sure, but confirmed our suspicion by checking the menu posted outside. We will not be returning. They were also raided by the police last night on suspicion of employing illegal workers.

• Visited December 2012